Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
I think this was a glitch, but helps point out how overpriced they are. The DP 1.8 is not a terrible deal, but we already know that the G5s don't generally blow away PCs which cost the same. They do on some things but are way behind on others so it's a wash.

Obviously they are still making money selling them at these prices to education, govt, and employees of those institutions (perhaps because there is no middleman in Apple Store sales and they probably get $2700 for a DP 2GHz sold through a retailer). G4s were expensive chips and I don't know what G5s cost but the hope was they were cheaper. Apple was selling the DP 1.42 for around $2700 before the G5 was announced weren't they. I see no reason why they can't do so again.

What I'd really like to see if a low end DP for $1700 or so as they did with the DP 867. The low end G5 is just too expensive and compromised. Just do it Apple! Spur sales for the holiday and last chance for a write off season.

IIvan

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
reduced Ipods?

Hate to change the subject but-
Has anyone heard about the possible price reduction or adding of a new lower budget Ipod? I would love to buy one, but 300 at the lowest is just too much :(

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by ITR 81
Probably is a pricing discount for Christmas because they are expecting to change around the processors in the G5's in Jan.

um... no.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: reduced Ipods?

Originally posted by IIvan
Hate to change the subject but-
Has anyone heard about the possible price reduction or adding of a new lower budget Ipod? I would love to buy one, but 300 at the lowest is just too much :(

there's an unfounded rumor on http://page2.macrumors.com on it

arn

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
A couple thoughts:

1. Apple wouldn't drop the price on a product that was only released one week previously. They may take liberties with customer service, but price drops no more than a week later is below even Apple's belt.

2. Sometimes I wonder if leaks before Apple announcements aren't encouraged. They might be orchestrated (or, at the very least, tolerated) much in the way that leaks are used by political entities as a noncomittal means of guaging response before news is made official.
For example, we have strong reason to believe (if not outright confirmation) that when iLife was announced last January, they were going to charge for the whole thing until they saw the uproar and decided to only charge for the box set/iDVD.
So maybe last week's timely leaks about the updated G5 lineup was a way to get a sense of public sentiment about the update. Perhaps they had prepared a number of graphics pages with different price points on them, depending on the reaction at places like here. The one that showed up this morning was in the discard pile and somebody or some program accidentally put it up a week later at about the same time of day.

syco

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2002
Seems like another case of premature specification. Apple seems to have a problem with shooting off too quickly these days.

lindmar

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2003
yup.. this is definatley a surpirse for Friday.
Lowered prices ect ect..
Yee Ha!
Now we need to know what that mystery $749 product is!
Either way, I will be bringing my mastercard to the Apple store friday.
And if we have a reduced, g4 tower, a new cube, a 60 gig ipod, or the newton...

its coming home
I wonder.. if we find out about this $749 product by friday. it will be able to be combined with the usally 10% Apple Event Retail Store discount?

hope so....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.