Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Volkswagon was started by the Nazis. Now tell me who's disgusting?

This is a bad philosophy, the fact that VW operated in the Nazy Germany 75 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with their work and ethos nowadays.

The problem with Apple's decision is that they are not any money-strained business desperately needing to stay afloat, nor did they decide to join this under a barrel of a gun, I hope.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Anyone against military development is just using an age old passive aggressive technique promoted by whom cannot survive an active fight. Fallen civilizations are lead by these types as more ethical "heathens" sack there "enlightened" cultural centers.

Then would you agree that it is legitimate for a much stronger individual than you to randomly beat you ( or other members of your family) to death in the street, because , well, you're visibly weaker than him physically and he wants that iPhone 6 you're carrying ?
If you disagree, you may be just promoting an age old passive agressive technique promoted by whom cannot survive an active fight.

Reactions: pjh

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Personally I'm glad Apple seeks and works for a better world while accepting the realities of the world we currently live in. I see no contradiction in their actions here. Those who do, are ignorant as to what the US military actually is.
Well done, now bend over. No it's not anal rape, we are using a lubricant. :cool:

Really kind of sad, Jobs was gone less than a month when Apple signed on to the NSA collection program and this is just a continuation. Who knows what deals Cook cut in China to get access to their markets. Off the chart hypocrisy.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Then would you agree that it is legitimate for a much stronger individual than you to randomly beat you ( or other members of your family) to death in the street, because , well, you're visibly weaker than him physically and he wants that iPhone 6 you're carrying ?
If you disagree, you may be just promoting an age old passive aggressive technique promoted by whom cannot survive an active fight.
I'll take the peace-nik bait. First, US Military action is hardly random and is some of the most discretionary force actions out there. Also, it has been know -- especially during the Vietnam War -- for the North Vietcong to use stolen US Military uniforms, dress Caucasian Russian agents posing as American solders and commit "atrocities" purely for propaganda.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
I'll take the peace-nik bait. First, US Military action is hardly random and is some of the most discretionary force actions out there. Also, it has been know -- especially during the Vietnam War -- for the North Vietcong to use stolen US Military uniforms, dress Caucasian Russian agents posing as American solders and commit "atrocities" purely for propaganda.

Except I wasn't talking about any army. I was addressing your statement that "Anyone against military development is just using an age old passive aggressive technique promoted by whom cannot survive an active fight. Fallen civilizations are lead by these types as more ethical "heathens" sack there "enlightened" cultural centers."

it's because of the "types" you are deriding that you are comfortably safely sitting at home, typing this on your expensive AppleGizmo. These "types" have brought to you such concepts as Law and Justice ( and entities that reinforce them ) wich allow you and your family to walk down the street without being mugged, killed or raped 100 times a day because someone just feels like it and has the power to do it. No one is allowed to kill you or stab you, or make you a slave because you're physically weaker than him and because he thinks that you deserve to die or become a slave because of it.

Not being able to "survive an active fight" doesn't exclude you anymore from having the right to live your life, and to live it happily. It's safe environments like these where all humans have a right to safely participate in society that enabled things that you're enjoying today, and allowed them to exist, like the Mac/Pc you're using right now to say whatever you feel like saying.

Those "peace-niks" have made it , decades and even centuries ago, so that people could today safely sit all day in their garage and think " How can I make a better computer ?" , rather than " How can I survive this day without me or my family being murdered or made slaves by people physically stronger than me ?"

Last edited:

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
It's not like the plane itself requires vast amounts of data storage.. The only data storage requirement would be from onboard cameras, and they would have their own dedicated storage.. No point in installing more than is required.

Thanks Professor Buzzkill. :D:p

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

Maybe not random, but reckless...

Grenada?

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
If you're goal is to not kill people, the exploration of space should not be your first choice for safe human activity.

It wasn't about not killing people, or doing something that is 100% safe. It was about choosing to expand the options of mankind as a whole versus creating weapons. Apple is probably the most influential organisation on the planet today and can choose to do something greatly great for everyone. Yes there would be risks, but creating 'Gun version 2.0' is just lame.

Reactions: Jess13

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
How far Apple has come.

large

Reactions: Jess13

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
True, and more people die on the roads each day globally, or are you saying that we shouldn't explore because it might be a little bit dangerous? My point was it's a shame large organisations, like Apple, are putting resources into developing things for the military which ultimately is just about putting a bullet in someone's head. As a species we really need to move on from killing each other in the pursuit resources on this planet.

You think changing planets will stop killing over resources? When people came to the new world how long did that last?

It wasn't about not killing people, or doing something that is 100% safe. It was about choosing to expand the options of mankind as a whole versus creating weapons. Apple is probably the most influential organisation on the planet today and can choose to do something greatly great for everyone. Yes there would be risks, but creating 'Gun version 2.0' is just lame.

You say expand the options of mankind, but exploration of space will expand the locations only. This is a classic error. To paraphrase the old saying 'You can't make something idiot proof, they will build a better idiot.' "You can't make the universe war proof, they will build a better warmonger."

Rather than explore space, how about medical advances and food production, etc. or is that too close to what Bill Gates is allegedly doing?

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
You think changing planets will stop killing over resources? When people came to the new world how long did that last?

You say expand the options of mankind, but exploration of space will expand the locations only. This is a classic error. To paraphrase the old saying 'You can't make something idiot proof, they will build a better idiot.' "You can't make the universe war proof, they will build a better warmonger."

Rather than explore space, how about medical advances and food production, etc. or is that too close to what Bill Gates is allegedly doing?

Actually no, it's to do with one day the sun will explode, or our more likely our planet will be hit by a large meteor. Survival of the species is our first priority. I agree we probably do need weapons, etc for space space exploration but we shouldn't be developing these purely for fighting over dwindling resources on this planet.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Looks like I'm going to have to find an alternative to macs...... i try my hardest not to buy hardware from companies who work in the weapons industries.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
You need to stop using the Internet. It was developed by the US Department of Defense.

And YOU also need to stop using the Internet, for the same reason.

I'm trying to help you folks stick to your principle of disassociation from military development. No need to thank me! :)

For those that question him look at ArpaNet.

Plus it was initially designed for Nuclear War survival.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
This is not directly related to Apple but it does show the extent to which the alphabetical organisations are prepared to go in pursuing their goals.

It also puts :apple: in a :eek: situation. They are going to work together with and FOR the people that exploit unknown weaknesess and possibly (likely) allow other interests exploit as well. How is that for an conflict of interest? :p

Mind-blowing secrets of NSA's security exploit stockpile revealed at last.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
I find this quote interesting in terms of the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act (CISA)

Aside from its redundancy, the Senate's bill grants two new authorities to companies. First, the bill authorizes companies to launch countermeasures for a "cybersecurity purpose" against a "cybersecurity threat." "Cybersecurity purpose" is so broadly defined that it means almost anything related to protecting (including physically protecting) an information system, which can be a computer or software. The same goes for a "cybersecurity threat," which includes anything that "may result" in an unauthorized effort to impact the availability of the information system. Combined, the two definitions could be read by companies to permit attacks on machines that unwittingly contribute to network congestion. The countermeasures clause will increasingly militarize the Internet—a prospect that may appeal to some "active defense" (aka offensive) cybersecurity companies, but does not favor the everyday user.

Second, the bill adds a new authority for companies to monitor information systems to protect an entity's rights or property. Here again, the broad definitions could be used in conjunction with the monitoring clause to spy on users engaged in potentially innocuous activity. Once collected, companies can then share the information, which is also called “cyber threat indicators,” freely with government agencies like the NSA.

Are now companies turning into "contractors" obeyed to follow the same directives as the alphabetical organisations refer to? What are the implications of that?

The document – some parts marked as US-only, others for America's Five Eyes partners – also says that government agencies and contractors should not immediately take their vulnerability discoveries to vendors, but instead notify █████ ████████████

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
For all we know, Apple's involvement might wind up as benign as this.

"SIRI! Medic!"

.... Did you say Riddick?" .... "It's a movie starring Vin Diesel" ... "Do you want me to find it?"

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Actually no, it's to do with one day the sun will explode, or our more likely our planet will be hit by a large meteor. Survival of the species is our first priority. I agree we probably do need weapons, etc for space space exploration but we shouldn't be developing these purely for fighting over dwindling resources on this planet.

The sun will become a red giant and engulf the earth, long before it explodes, but I see your point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.