Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justas21

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
EU version

Portuguese promotion offers 70 EUR towards Mac purchase, and 35 towards iPod/iPhone, both for future purchases.
mac-back-2-school-PT.jpg

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Let's see...

Go to an Apple store and pay full price for computer. Get $100 Store gift card.
or
Go to Best Buy, B&H, etc. and get discounts worth more than $100.
All of them will B2S sales as well.

What to do, what to do...:confused:

Except that when you purchase through their EDU store (since this is for students/teachers only after all), you're not paying full retail price plus you're getting the gift card....

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
All I can say is this to everyone tempted by this offer......

DO NOT BUY!!!! I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY!!!! WAIT TILL THIS FALL AFTER THE PROMO.

Why?!?! Of course, new iPods, iPhones and iPads this fall. And another MacBook Pro refresh.

Trust me, owning new device is much better than getting $100 in gift card as return.

There will ALWAYS be new products. The current products are NEW and will be performing perfectly fine for a long time to come.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
There will ALWAYS be new products. The current products are NEW and will be performing perfectly fine for a long time to come.

This is true. Buy when you need.

The only exception for me is at this point I wouldn't buy a Mac Mini or the non retina macbook pro. Simply due to how long it's been since the last release, and I can't pay full price for something that old. That's just me though.

I may go for the 13-inch 8gb 128 air.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Damn - I just bought an Air in Saturday. Is there any way to retroactively get the $100? Or will I have to return it and get a refund and rebuy?

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
So could someone purchase a MBP, get the card, and then turn around and buy AppleCare with the educational discount and use the card?

djmurr

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
promo criteria on recent mbp purchase (past 7 days)

Just spoke with a customer care representative @ Apple. I purchased a brand new 13" mpb w/rd with an education discount 7 days ago. Gave me the option of (1.) returning purchase & buying again to receive gift card today or (2.) apple will send me a promo code for $100 discount in 3 weeks via email. I choose what was behind door #2. Looks like a new carry bag is in my near future.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Except that when you purchase through their EDU store (since this is for students/teachers only after all), you're not paying full retail price plus you're getting the gift card....

Yeah, still. Take the new iMac.

Apple Store: You spend $1049 and get a $100 gift card
Best Buy: You spend $899 and get no gift card.

I'm going with the $50 overall savings.

More to the point for me personally, the gift card has to be spent with Apple. The true $150 difference in price, if purchased at Best Buy, can be used anywhere I choose. That could be kept in my pocket, spent with Apple or it could be used for something else. For me, that's cash with no restrictions. Other may differ in opinion, which is totally okay.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
NOW they think of it.

"Apple has also updated its in-store graphics at its various locations, with IFOAppleStore noting that the photography style of the newer images used are richer and darker than the previous ones."

Why didn't they think about doing this with iOS7?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
People actually need to buy stuff for school, its not feasible to tell them to wait until late Q4 or even Q5 for a new Mac - makes no sense.

Exactly. My wife is in the same boat, teaches at college and her '08 MB needed a new battery (original one still) and she was going to upgrade/replace it with a new 13" rMBP and needs it way before the event ends to get things ready for the upcoming school year before admin stuff starts backup again.

Not to mention wait a few weeks and apply this to Apple Care and she wins…

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Because it's a cheaper device with less dollars in profit most likely. Though considering the age of the current Mini they should be making a fair bit on it now.

They always exclude the Mini from this promotion.

Then Apple should make it $50 instead of $100. The minimum $600 still isn't pocket change.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Education!

Education should be free for everyone. Instead it is a rip off and a scam. :eek:

Going back to school means accessorizing with the latest & greatest of everything from new brand name clothing, shoes, brand new hair or fragrances, nails and fake lashes too. On top of going into debilitating debt each semester, oh by the way, go out and get an apple device - earn extra store credit to buy more stuff instead of buying food nor affording new books!

Once you get your "great education" you come out to the "work force" only to earn "minimum wage" for the rest of your life.

Apple should give out scholarships and machines to every kid who takes the time to apply themselves to education period. Rather than taunting our kids with ridiculous "store credit".

Love you all.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Well the main problem is that they made college too easy, so too many people have college degrees now without the jobs to go with them. But yes, it's definitely a scam. Colleges are the biggest wasteful spenders around.

Anyway...yeah, I remember the education discount fondly. Man, $150 off my $1499 iMac in 2007, the new Aluminum models that just came out a few days before. Also came with a printer (which is somewhere under my bed) and a 30GB iPod (which crapped out a few years later). But the iMac is still my main computer, and will have Yosemite this fall.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Does Apple have a history of honoring this if you bought say in mid/late June and is a student?

I should've told my friend to wait but she needed a laptop asap :(

bigpics

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2002
Rockland County, New York
No new produtc, that was not expected.
Do you think that after this they could make a refresh on the rMBP in the coming days?

Blame Intel... ...'least I'm not expecting any more new models (iMac, the rumored 12" rMBA, rMBP's) until Broadwell's released...

...and it's not like they're losing ground to Windows PC's (as they did in the Power PC chip days), as all Intel-based PC manufacturers are in the same boat, i.e., as anyone shopping for a refreshed high-end PC notebook can attest...

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Back in the day June and July was "Dads and Grads" and "Back to school" followed.

Too bad that Apple has to remind students who just finished school 2 weeks ago that they already have to go back. Apple doesn't even let US kids celebrate the 4th of July without the reminder of going back to school. It's like Apple wants to take away celebration.

newcronos

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
My first MacBook pro back in 2009 was $100.00 off with the educational discount, plus I got a second gen. iPod touch to boot. Even though here in Canada we pay a little more through the online store, this was still a decent deal. :)

Don't forget there's an additional free printer (up to $75, I think) that came with it too. We had to pay for the printer, but can then submit a rebate form and it was fully refunded in a couple of weeks. That was an awesome time!

I got my MBP in 2009 as well. Just replaced the drive with an SSD and with a fresh install of Mavericks it's absolutely flying now! :)

goatgotmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2008
Europe
I purchased my MBP on education May 28 - I received a marketing email with this promotion today July 1, and called up Apple...

They offered my a £60 cash credit. Amazing.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Don't forget there's an additional free printer (up to $75, I think) that came with it too. We had to pay for the printer, but can then submit a rebate form and it was fully refunded in a couple of weeks. That was an awesome time!

I got my MBP in 2009 as well. Just replaced the drive with an SSD and with a fresh install of Mavericks it's absolutely flying now! :)

Yes, my daughter got both the iPod touch first gen. and a free printer with her MacBook back in the summer of '08. I was surprised apple gave both on top of the education discount. The MacBook was her grad gift and the printer/iPod was the icing with the cake. She's still using it today.

Earlier this year, I picked up the 13" mid'12 MacBook pro (lucky it was still available) and put my kingston SSD and 16Gb of crucial ram in it. Sold my '09 with the new 500 GB HDD and 8GB ram. So a nice hard ware upgrade for myself. And I might add, Macs have great resale. :apple::apple::apple::apple:

SamB11

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
Cornwall
I ordered my Mac Yesterday (June 30th) And got this email this morning, gutted as the promotion starts today, I called up Apple and they gave me the £60 credit gift card! Amazing customer service there from Apple.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
People actually need to buy stuff for school, its not feasible to tell them to wait until late Q4 or even Q5 for a new Mac - makes no sense.

There are only for quarters in a year. Quarter = 1/4th.

----------

Imagine the kids who want to go to the Apple Store and get a new iPhone or iPad, and instead they see all this back to school advertising. It's like going to Walmart and seeing them putting all the pencils, paper, notebooks, etc out early. What a summer downer.

Not that I would turn down $100, but kids are in full summer mode right now, many won't go back to school for almost two months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.