Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Is the watchface selectable for everybody? Update?
It uses a sensor on the underside of the watch to make sure you have enough melanin in your skin. If not, you are not allowed to use the watch face!!! /S

Just like certain word(s) in the english language. Only some are privileged enough to use them.

• Haha
Reactions: jaymc and lartola

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
It’s very sad to see some members are so racist and insecure about themselves that they forget that black people buy Apple products too. If they think this is “virtue signalling” they’re such lost souls.
You should probably really look into the word racist and its definition. The most I have seen someone say from the posts I have read is that they thought it was unfair to have special bands,watch face, months for some people but not for others.

I am guessing you are a very light skinned liberal person. Which is usually the group of people who feel they have to defend those groups that are somehow oppressed (in your opinion). White knight syndrome.

But try to take a step back and ask why is it ok to have an entire month for one group of people (plus lots of accessories specifically for that group) but other groups who are either a greater or lesser percentage of the population dont get the same treatment.....? Forget who is in what group. Just that there is a group or groups who are treated differently because of the color of their skin. And ask yourself, not considering color, if thats fair. You can only come to one conclusion. IT IS NOT. This is the definition of racism. Treating people differently (whether it be better or worse than other groups) because of their color and nothing else.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I wish apple would just stop with identity politics
I don’t think it’s identity politics lol. It’s corporate America selling a selling new thing to coincide with a holiday or month. Next thing people are going to complain about is pink merchandise in October and having Christmas Christmas merchandise in December. Relax.

If anything I’d be pissed that they sell these $2 things for $49

• Disagree
Reactions: jaymc

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Right! While this campaign is focusing on the US Black History Month that starts in February, in the UK, Black History Month is October. Some of the orgs receiving mention and support through this initiative is in the UK (London) and Australia (Sydney). I'll have to write my friend in the UK and see if something similar is offered in the UK leading up to their October observance.

And the colors of the watch face, band and phone screen are all related to the Pan-African movement. The inspiration for these products are explicitly global, not U.S.-centric. But as you say, the marketing around the announcement and the release of these products is tied to Black History Month in the U.S., which is entirely appropriate as Apple is a U.S. company.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You should probably really look into the word racist and its definition. The most I have seen someone say from the posts I have read is that they thought it was unfair to have special bands,watch face, months for some people but not for others.

I am guessing you are a very light skinned liberal person. Which is usually the group of people who feel they have to defend those groups that are somehow oppressed (in your opinion). White knight syndrome.

But try to take a step back and ask why is it ok to have an entire month for one group of people (plus lots of accessories specifically for that group) but other groups who are either a greater or lesser percentage of the population dont get the same treatment.....? Forget who is in what group. Just that there is a group or groups who are treated differently because of the color of their skin. And ask yourself, not considering color, if thats fair. You can only come to one conclusion. IT IS NOT. This is the definition of racism. Treating people differently (whether it be better or worse than other groups) because of their color and nothing else.
"Somehow oppressed (in your opinion)." Sounds like someone didn't pay attention during black history month.

Gotta just shake your head at someone who believes that the real racists are not the people that whitewashed black history, but the people who feel it should be taught.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
This is for me the reason that I don’t buy these kind of watch bands. I want to buy a band that matches my mood and my style. I don’t want to be associated with some form of activism or identity politics. Sorry, not sorry.
Generally same here, but - hey - you have the option not to use the watchface and - as you write - not to buy the band. Take it as some sort of opportunity for people, who want to show it. Spot another one, who does the same - a good occasion to start an exchange.

Don't misunderstand me: People with dogs do get in touch with eachother instantly - because of the dogs. Otherwise they would not.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Cringe city. This seems patronizing to me, but oh well. Don't know why we can't just all be together as one rather than assigned an identity that continues to reinforce differences. Is what it is, and I maintain it's cringey.

And not sure why MR has this flagged for "politics"...what's political about it, exactly? Who is making it political? I understand some people hate Trump, is that it? Serious question. I've been around for over 4 decades and have witnessed skin color become such a sensitive topic year after year. Wasn't like this in the 90's. What changed? Why is the media so obsessed with identity??

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Apple, like many other businesses, monetizes popular virtue, and many people are willing to pay for it, either because they believe in it or because it makes them feel better about themselves. And those who oppose this would not usually boycott a company for this reason. So it makes sense from a profit perspective.
I don't think you're wrong, at least in Apple's case. But boycotts are notoriously ineffective no matter what the reason. The big corporations that anger people enough to make them organize a boycott are usually selling popular enough products or services so it's impossible to put a noticeable dent in their profits. (They're going to sell globally, in many cases, so even a whole nation organized strongly against them may only register as a temporary "blip" as they work to offset it with more sales elsewhere.)

Where I think this hurts Apple more is over the long-haul, in terms of people's general opinion of the company. There are a whole LOT of people out there who refuse to use a Mac, and it often comes up that Apple's apparent virtue-signaling and chasing after identity politics is a big reason they won't consider one.

In other words? Those of us already invested into the Apple ecosystem are probably going to tolerate it and keep using the products. It's a fairly big inconvenience and expense just to switch away from them once you have things like HomeKit capable home automation devices set up throughout the house, or Apple CarPlay compatible stereos in your vehicles, or even Apple devices throughout a family so everyone can see the "family calendar" shared via iCal.... But Apple might be losing out on ability to expand its sales with some of its behaviors.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Cringe city. This seems patronizing to me, but oh well. Don't know why we can't just all be together as one rather than assigned an identity that continues to reinforce differences. Is what it is, and I maintain it's cringey.

And not sure why MR has this flagged for "politics"...what's political about it, exactly? Who is making it political? I understand some people hate Trump, is that it? Serious question. I've been around for over 4 decades and have witnessed skin color become such a sensitive topic year after year. Wasn't like this in the 90's. What changed? Why is the media so obsessed with identity??
CB: Why can't we all be together as one?
Also CB: Something that celebrates black culture and community is cringy and patronizing.

CB: Why is this in the Politics forum?
Also CB: Let's randomly bring up the former president and conservative talking points.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[…]

Where I think this hurts Apple more is over the long-haul, in terms of people's general opinion of the company. There are a whole LOT of people out there who refuse to use a Mac, and it often comes up that Apple's apparent virtue-signaling and chasing after identity politics is a big reason they won't consider one.

[…]
those people, whomever those people are, wouldn’t use a mac anyway. It’s just a smoke screen excuse, imo.

Oh I’m sure one or two people would go on record as saying they disagree with apples politics and won’t do business with apple. I don’t think apple cares.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
It’s flagged for politics because some people have been trained by the outrage machine they watch to find any mention of Black people troubling / suspicious / distasteful (like, say, if there was a popular movement that said “hey, Black Lives Matter too, can the police please stop shooting unarmed black men?”), and those trained people often reflexively attack when something like BLM or Black unity is mentioned, leading to a mess in the forums that the mods have to clean up. It has nothing directly to do with Trump, though he did spend a lot of time fueling that outrage.

Skin color has always been a sensitive topic, it’s not just becoming one now.

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
I don't really understand why this offends people. It's not against anything objectively good?

Anyway, I got mine today because I liked the colours. I do think it's a pity that the most interesting part of the band is on the inside. The visible side is fairly underwhelming. If they'd flipped it around it would be one of my favourites.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
It’s flagged for politics because some people have been trained by the outrage machine they watch to find any mention of Black people troubling / suspicious / distasteful (like, say, if there was a popular movement that said “hey, Black Lives Matter too, can the police please stop shooting unarmed black men?”), and those trained people often reflexively attack when something like BLM or Black unity is mentioned, leading to a mess in the forums that the mods have to clean up. It has nothing directly to do with Trump, though he did spend a lot of time fueling that outrage.

Skin color has always been a sensitive topic, it’s not just becoming one now.
Its just the opposite. If I were black all of this crap would offend me. Any black people out there? Would love to hear your thoughts? Are you happy always being singled out? Needing movements? Being reminded of slavery and oppression? Im seriously asking. If I were black I would want to just live and be seen and heard like anyone else. All the crap would just give me anxiety.

And CarlJ: The only reason why trump isn't president is because the dems used the killing of floyde as constant, non-stop political fuel. They USED him, just like they use ALL black people for their own selfish gain.

Remember: it was the dems who literally founded the KKK and the republicans who spent years trying to outlaw it.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Its just the opposite. If I were black all of this crap would offend me. Any black people out there? Would love to hear your thoughts? Are you happy always being singled out? Needing movements? Being reminded of slavery and oppression? Im seriously asking. If I were black I would want to just live and be seen and heard like anyone else. All the crap would just give me anxiety.
Perhaps you could listen to black people instead of explaining what you would do if you were black.

And CarlJ: The only reason why trump isn't president is because the dems used the killing of floyde as constant, non-stop political fuel. They USED him, just like they use ALL black people for their own selfish gain.
45 isn't president for a whole lot of reasons, but arguing black people are only puppets is pretty racist. BLM is and was a black led movement. You're equating supporting them with using them. Black people are actively involved in the leadership and platform of the Democratic party. Not some passive pawns.

Remember: it was the dems who literally founded the KKK and the republicans who spent years trying to outlaw it.
Absolutely true. But it ignores the fact that the racists left the Democratic party for the Republican party highlighted by Nixon's Southern Strategy. Starting in the 50s, the parties effectively switched platforms with the Republicans reversing their historical position to focus on states' rights.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Remember: at the time, the Republicans were progressives, and not conservatives, while the Democrats back then were conservatives and not progressives; A key thing that people nowadays seem willingly to forget, especially due to the Southern Strategy enacted by Nixon between 1964 and 1968.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.