Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced a set of new projects as part of its $100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative (REJI) to help dismantle systemic barriers to opportunity and combat injustices faced by communities of color.

apple_racial-equity-justice-initiative_propel-center-render_01132021.jpg
Rendering of the Propel Center

The projects include the Propel Center, a global innovation and learning hub for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), an Apple Developer Academy to support coding and tech education for students in Detroit, and venture capital funding for Black and Brown entrepreneurs.
"We are all accountable to the urgent work of building a more just, more equitable world — and these new projects send a clear signal of Apple’s enduring commitment," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "We're launching REJI's latest initiatives with partners across a broad range of industries and backgrounds — from students to teachers, developers to entrepreneurs, and community organizers to justice advocates — working together to empower communities that have borne the brunt of racism and discrimination for far too long. We are honored to help bring this vision to bear, and to match our words and actions to the values of equity and inclusion we have always prized at Apple."
The initiative builds on Apple's work to advance racial equity in education, the economy, and the criminal justice system, and is led by Apple's vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives, Lisa Jackson.
"Every individual deserves equal access to opportunity regardless of skin color or zip code," said Jackson. "For too long, communities of color have faced gross injustices and institutional barriers to their pursuit of the American dream, and we are proud to lend our voices and resources to build new engines of opportunity that empower, inspire, and create meaningful change."
Apple is contributing $25 million to the Propel Center, which is designed to support the next generation of diverse leaders, providing innovative curricula, technology support, career opportunities, and fellowship programs. The Propel Center will offer a wide range of educational tracks, including AI and machine learning, agricultural technologies, social justice, entertainment arts, app development, augmented reality, design and creative arts, career preparation, and entrepreneurship. Experts from Apple will help develop curricula and provide ongoing mentorship and learning support, along with offering internship opportunities.

Later this year, Apple will also open an Apple Developer Academy in Detroit. The academy is designed to empower young Black entrepreneurs, creators, and coders, helping them cultivate the skills necessary for jobs in the rapidly growing iOS app economy. Launched in collaboration with Michigan State University, Apple Developer Academy courses will be open to all learners across Detroit, regardless of their academic background or whether they have any previous coding experience.

In addition, Apple is today announcing two new investments in the venture capital and banking spaces, with both projects designed to provide capital to minority-owned businesses. The company will invest $10 million with Harlem Capital — an early-stage venture capital firm based in New York — to support its investments in 1,000 companies with diverse founders over the next 20 years. In addition to providing capital to entrepreneurs of color, Harlem Capital will also lend its expertise to Apple's broader efforts to advance access to economic opportunity. The firm will offer guidance and mentorship to students at the Detroit Developer Academy and participants in Apple's Entrepreneur Camp for Black Founders and Developers. Apple will also support Harlem Capital's internship program, focused on opening doors for aspiring women and minority investors.

The company will also invest $25 million in Siebert Williams Shank's Clear Vision Impact Fund, which provides capital to small and medium-size businesses, with an emphasis on minority-owned companies. The fund looks to support businesses that operate in or serve underserved markets, and that foster inclusive growth initiatives.

apple_racial-equity-justice-initiative_mlk-center-pool_01132021.jpg

Lastly, Apple is making a contribution to The King Center, a living memorial to the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to share his teachings and inspire new generations to carry forward his unfinished work. Next week, Dr. King’s daughter and the CEO of The King Center, Dr. Bernice A. King, will issue a call to action encouraging young people to give back to their communities as part of Apple’s "Challenge for Change" series — a set of conversation guides and learning-based challenges on issues related to race and inequality.

The announcements follow news on Tuesday that Apple planned a non-product related announcement today. Apple CEO Tim Cook has given an interview with CBS This Morning that focuses on the initiatives and should air sometime today.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Launches New Nationwide Racial Equity and Justice Initiative Projects

Last edited:

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
In the apple shops you can see they hire every type of person to look good but most know nothing I remember one guy saying the new iPhone has usb c port lol they care more about so called equality than hiring the best people for the good, no person of colour has any less opportunity than anyone else in america, this is all because of blm and making the company look good, just focus on making good tech I noticed Tim Cook has put pronouns in his twitter bio

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
the same always happen we speak about we are getting tired of hearing about equality 24/7 since blm even tho before that no one spoke about it and everything was fine and we get called out saying this is why it’s needed lol I’m a black man and I don’t support the movement I’ve had every opportunity like anyone else and run a successful business I don’t think want people thinking I’m oppressed, speak love everyone is equal

elie.fares

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
I came here to say how telling it was that an initiative regarding race and justice is now controversial and listed under politics. Then I saw some of the replies here and... I guess the need for the initiative is inherently proven. It's like we're not living in the same country.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
It’s not racist to say or think White people feel like they are being pushed away, since blm Netflix Disney plus etc have black categories and it’s all you hear about from company’s that want to be woke and progressive, I have zero issues with anyone based on skin colour I treat others how I wanna be treated, stats just don’t agree that america is racist, yeah there are bad people everywhere but the law and majority isn’t like that, this is just annoying people because certain people don’t feel equal anymore

SWAON

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2017
Europe
I don't believe 100% in Apple intentions behind all this, they're always self-serving goals first, if it's not about them showing off or prestige maintenance, I doubt they care that much about people but what they present in the public. For that matter it applies to all big tech companies. Apple is just on the top of it. I'll start believing in such causes pushed from big companies when they really think about the end user, not just their profit and marketing strategies and how to squeeze more of us. Until then for me those types of moves are just anything but about the people... at least not at 100%. Don't hate my post because of different opinion from yours. Thank you. I speak as non American citizen, which really doesn't matter.

PS. Using child labor in Asia and coming up with those types of hypocritical causes in USA, Apple is just becoming more and more self-convinced of their righteousness, which is beyond annoying. We aren't that stupid. What are 25 million to 3 billion company, nothing.. With all profit they make instead of focusing on the next level chip, they can really focus on creating tech that really can improve people lives and well being, not just selling for the sake of their profit.

Last edited:

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
You know what : just bring real universal healthcare to your country similar to France, Japan, Italy, etc.., and at least 30% of your social issues will be solved overnight without the constant need to begging for donations from rich corporations. It’s all related. When people are constantly at risk of becoming homeless because they ( or their children) have fallen sick, it creates all sorts of tensions within society.
Also, free education.

peace.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I was not going to post anything, but after seeing the comments, I think I should.

Even though the programs implemented by Apple may or may not help you, it provides an opportunity for people who have historically been left behind. Let’s think a bit beyond just “I”, and think about the people this will help.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
It’s like in the U.K. now they wanna hire people of colour over others to join the police force to look diverse, there is actually training days for anyone who isn’t white, this is wrong equality should mean the best person for the job gets it and not based on skin colour, but this just isn’t the case anymore they always go on about white privilege but at the moment it’s the other way round

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.