Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
You were never ever subscribed in the first place o_O How are you a customer??
Nice deflection.

I've been a paid subscriber since the first 1-year trial ended... I managed to score 3 free months from a Best Buy deal about 6 weeks ago... but yeah, I paid for it for over a year. But no more.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Nice deflection.

I've been a paid subscriber since the first 1-year trial ended... I managed to score 3 free months from a Best Buy deal about 6 weeks ago... but yeah, I paid for it for over a year. But no more.
Who even cares. These kinds of announcement posts appear on the forums every five minutes. There is no useful discussion to be had in these kinds of topics.

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I just checked... the price hike is already upon us (as of Oct. 24th 2022, Mon.), if not sooner!

According to this article...
... Apple Music got price hikes as well (+$1 and +$2 for individual and family plan respectively)
... Apple One got price hikes as well (+2, +$3, and +$3 for Invidiaul, Family, and Premium plans respectively). So you're affected if you were getting ATV+ through there.

FWIW, you can still get ATV+ for $45 per year through Costco.com. That's even more savings since the new annual price has been reflected alongside the monthly price, so going from $50 to $70 annual...

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Screw them... raising the cost of Apple TV+ subscription by 40%... as soon as my free "pass" expires in November, I am out... greedy $#*!&#$.
I rotate streaming services, so this doesn't make a difference to me. Even if they were still $5 a month, I'd still cancel ATV+ when moving on to my next one. I can stand to save the $$, but time is the bottleneck. That said, I know some are much more price sensitive than I am, so they're the ones Apple has to worry about. And I do have Curiosity Stream in perpetuity even though I've used it very little, but it's only $20 per year for HD, so I just let that slide.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I rotate streaming services, so this doesn't make a difference to me. Even if they were still $5 a month, I'd still cancel ATV+ when moving on to my next one. I can stand to save the $$, but time is the bottleneck. That said, I know some are much more price sensitive than I am, so they're the ones Apple has to worry about. And I do have Curiosity Stream in perpetuity even though I've used it very little, but it's only $20 per year for HD, so I just let that slide.

It's not that I cannot afford the $2/month bump... but I am tired of this crap... it's a freaking 40% bump, and, frankly, their limited catalogue of content isn't worth it...

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
It's not that I cannot afford the $2/month bump... but I am tired of this crap... it's a freaking 40% bump, and, frankly, their limited catalogue of content isn't worth it...
Ditto. But for me, I can stand to save the $$, and I don't really have the "proper time" for more than one major ss at a time anyways.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Lucky for me apples free trials work even if you are subscribing. I’d already paid €50 for a years sub and then accidentally clicked on the Apple TV app on my ps5 rather and it offered a free 6 months. Put in my Apple ID and I’ve now got it until 2024.

but Apple pricing is a mess and putting the prices up makes it worse.

Reactions: robotica

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
Lucky for me apples free trials work even if you are subscribing. I’d already paid €50 for a years sub and then accidentally clicked on the Apple TV app on my ps5 rather and it offered a free 6 months. Put in my Apple ID and I’ve now got it until 2024.

but Apple pricing is a mess and putting the prices up makes it worse.
Interesting. I have the new Apple TV 128Gb on order. The blurb says it comes with a free 3 months trial of apple tv of Apple TV+. When I go to the Apple web site here in the UK I am offered 30 day free trial if I sign up. Does this mean I can subscribe to Apple TV+ and when the Apple TV 128 arrives and I register, it will tag the extra 3 months free on to my account?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Interesting. I have the new Apple TV 128Gb on order. The blurb says it comes with a free 3 months trial of apple tv of Apple TV+. When I go to the Apple web site here in the UK I am offered 30 day free trial if I sign up. Does this mean I can subscribe to Apple TV+ and when the Apple TV 128 arrives and I register, it will tag the extra 3 months free on to my account?

I think so but not 100%. For example I didn’t get any trial due to me buying an iPhone but did with the playststion.

Reactions: Tenkaykev

reneholliday

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2020
Screw them... raising the cost of Apple TV+ subscription by 40%... as soon as my free "pass" expires in November, I am out... greedy $#*!&#$.
I'm out too; Total GREED ~ Apple gross profit for the twelve months ending June 30, 2022 was $167.861B, a 17.92% increase year-over-year. Apple annual gross profit for 2021 was $152.836B, a 45.62% increase from 2020. Apple annual gross profit for 2020 was $104.956B, a 6.67% increase from 2019.

Poor Apple, I guess 167 billion is just not enough.

Reactions: Glacier1

weird_method

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2021
They've lost me too. I'm not subsidizing their sports like I did for years on cable TV. Not everyone likes sports and wants it crammed down their throat constantly.

Reactions: mw360 and Glacier1

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'm out too; Total GREED ~ Apple gross profit for the twelve months ending June 30, 2022 was $167.861B, a 17.92% increase year-over-year. Apple annual gross profit for 2021 was $152.836B, a 45.62% increase from 2020. Apple annual gross profit for 2020 was $104.956B, a 6.67% increase from 2019.

Poor Apple, I guess 167 billion is just not enough.

Apple’s profitability has nothing to do with them charging what they feel is a fair price for their products and services.

If anything, it’s probably because enough people continue to find value in their product offerings, despite the supposedly higher prices charged, that Apple is as profitable as it is today.

You are basically confusing cause with effect.

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I discontinued my monthly subscription of Apple TV+ for the following reasons:

$2 price increase.
The difficulty in finding movies and shows that are free and already included with my subscription. (When I do find a show or movie that is interesting, I click on it and I find out that I have to pay more money to watch it because it is not an Apple TV show.)
Most Apple TV+ series do not appeal to me. (I loved the following shows: For all Mankind, Black Bird, Foundation, Servant, Finch, Louis Armstrong documentary.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bow Commander

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Wow, that didn't take long... ATV+ went from being $45 per year to $63 if purchased through Costco.com. :(
I'm mixed. A bit of regret and FOMO for not buying a code at $45. My streaming service schedule is booked well into 2023, but I would've had a year to redeem this, so just do so then so I can use it without overlapping others. OTOH, it is nice and free to be a "free agent" at that time, and have the flexibility to jump around. I anticipate I'll only need 3 months to get through everything I'd like (unless a discount for another streaming service comes my way), so even though getting 3 months is less than 12, it's still much cheaper than $45.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
They charge what they do because people pay it--simple as that. It's not greed; it's just your typical everyday business making . . . you know . . . money 🤯 If you don't see the value in it, then no need to rant; just move on to whatever you consider green pastures.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Apple’s profitability has nothing to do with them charging what they feel is a fair price for their products and services.

If anything, it’s probably because enough people continue to find value in their product offerings, despite the supposedly higher prices charged, that Apple is as profitable as it is today.

Exactly, I agree. The individual shouldn't look at it at Apple's overall profitability because it needs to be sectioned off. The only stat I could find (currently at work) is from the Montley Fool and it is reported that "Apple generates between $1 billion and $2 billion per year in subscription revenue, but it's spending $3 billion per year on content."

If this figure is even remotely correct then Apple is still loosing money on Apple TV+ despite having some highly regarded content offered compared to many other streaming services that are just milking old TV shows and movies.

I am not justifying the price increase and was quite shocked and slightly irritated myself upon seeing the notification email. Just wanted to share.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I don’t know if you noticed, but the price of everything has gone up. Where I live the price of gas is more than double what I paid two years ago. The price of food has gone up significantly as well.

Do you think Apple products are immune from inflation? I’m sure what they’re paying to obtain these services has gone up so they have to raise the price.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

reneholliday

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2020

Abazigal, true and an excellent point.

But the bottom line is that the effect of Apple increasing its price for a digital service, which many have been getting for free, has caused a few of us that have been paying to leave.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I discontinued my monthly subscription of Apple TV+ for the following reasons:

$2 price increase.
The difficulty in finding movies and shows that are free and already included with my subscription. (When I do find a show or movie that is interesting, I click on it and I find out that I have to pay more money to watch it because it is not an Apple TV show.)
Most Apple TV+ series do not appeal to me. (I loved the following shows For all Mankind, Blackbird, Foundation, Servant, Finch)
Are you trolling? There is a separate tab within the Apple TV app for Apple TV+ content. It really isn’t that hard to find.

Reactions: iDaniel88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.