Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
seems to me that all the various streaming providers have already increased pricing, also Apple is adding more content (eg live sports) and that costs money. I used ATV+ for the free trial, but the content that is offered does not justify to pay for it, for me it is just not worth it.
The "greed" argument - I don't buy and it is senseless, all of Apple's offerings are in the highest tier pricing, if you don't want to pay that price, you have options, for all offerings. Apple is a business and every business is serving to maximize profit, simple as that.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It was never going to stay at £/$4.99 a month forever. It’s not just Apple. Look at Disney plus they started off very cheap and then gradually increased their prices.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A couple of quotes from the CEO of disney regarding his continued price increases.

According to Chapek, “Our ticket prices and constraints we put on how often people can come and when they come is a direct reflection of demand. When is it too much? Demand will tell us when it’s too much.”

In response, Chapek said “it’s all up to the consumer. If consumer demand keeps up then we act accordingly

My thoughts are this. Like other companies, Apple is raising prices simply because they can. It all boils down to whether people feel that its too much. The hue and cry coming from disney fans is astounding, just visit the online forums for those folks. YET the disney parks are all at capacity and the CEO has stated as much.

This is similar to apple, though apple is a bit more reserved and perhaps tactful. Obviously they're happy with the subscription numbers they have since they're not willing to cut the monthly cost but increase it. They're of the mind that the consumers who are interested in this streaming service will be willing to pay.

I don't knock anyone for quitting, nor should we try to shut down the discussion because overall its good have this discussion. I've been debating whether I want to continue. I subscribe to Apple One (or what ever they call it) and so I get Apple TV+. The issue is I need apple music, and apple cloud+ The cost of the bundle is such that it makes too much sense to keep what I have.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I don't knock anyone for quitting, nor should we try to shut down the discussion because overall its good have this discussion. I've been debating whether I want to continue. I subscribe to Apple One (or what ever they call it) and so I get Apple TV+. The issue is I need apple music, and apple cloud+ The cost of the bundle is such that it makes too much sense to keep what I have.

Yeah, I have no issue with people quitting and even announcing they are and why, but when it turns into a rant about Apple's "greed" etc. I just roll my eyes. The first part of your post is the reality. It's not greed; it's simply the market deciding they see value in the service.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Apple is not for price sensitive people. Apple needs to grow even on this platform so, inflation is a thing

vel0city

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2017
Apple is not for price sensitive people. Apple needs to grow even on this platform so, inflation is a thing

I've never regretted a single penny spent on Apple products since I started buying Macs in the mid 1990s. It's not about being price sensitive. It's a value proposition. I just don't feel that Apple TV has enough good content to justify the price hike. Apart from Severance and Black Bird, meh. The price hike confirmed that I don't need to continue my sub.

BigSmurf

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2018
I am not a big watcher of anything and find good quality in Apple TV+.
I keep Netflix mainly for the kid cartoons, for myself I could be ok with just Apple TV+ or HBO Max.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The extra $2?$3? we're spending on Apple One is frustrating but good grief, the cost of groceries, gas, rent, everything has gone up like crazy.

My wife and I actually have a lot of things on Apple TV we want to watch but we've been prioritizing other services so we can get rid of them mainly because we had Apple TV for free for so long. I know a lot of people who tell me there is some really great content on Apple TV so I've added it to my list to try out.

I just hate paying for something I don't use. I find now days I prefer to just buy a season and watch it when I want to watch it rather than pay for a streaming service.

Now we just pay for Netflix... and I guess Apple TV. We get Disney+ through VerizonWireless.

Companies raising prices and making record profits seems to be a common theme these days......

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I note that recently Apple has made a format change to the Apple TV+ selection presentation and it is more clearer to determine and understand the Apple TV+ (free) content from the additional charge - outside content.
What’s the recent change?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.