Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Hi. I have a MBP early 2015 that I left at the Apple Store in Munich on 02.12.2021, for battery replacement/repair. The device was supposed to be sent to a repair center in Czech Republic, however Apple Store told me on 10.12.2021, that the UPS could not provide any info and my computer currently might be lost, they guess. If this is the case, they were going to give me a new MBP, they said.

I would like to ask you about possible options and scenarios in this case, if ever someone has experienced the same?
Do they open an investigation, or how many days does it take to send/give me a replacement?
What happens to my lost MBP? (It had no password, anyone can enter and obtain my personal info and documents in it, which I am really worried)?

EDIT on 16.12.2021:
The topic has been resolved, please check the latest message on the Page 13 to see the resolution.

EDIT on 13.01.2022:
See the Page 15 for the unexpected end of the topic. The lost device has been found (with a new battery inside!).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: appltech

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If it's indeed lost,
and
If they're going to offer you a replacement
then
Make the best "deal" you can for the replacement.

Perhaps they'll offer you a 2021 MacBook Pro 14".
I'd just smile and say "thank you very much!".

More likely, they might offer a 2020 MacBook Pro 13" (with m1 CPU).
If they do, try to get one with 16gb of RAM...

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Go into Find My… and select the MBP and erase it. Put a password on the new one.

As to the old one, they will probably file a claim with UPS and let them handle it.
If I do the erase process remotely, can someone get to my files after he/she connects my PC to an internet?
I already had password but I disabled it as I was going to give the MBP to the Apple Store.

If it's indeed lost,
and
If they're going to offer you a replacement
then
Make the best "deal" you can for the replacement.

Perhaps they'll offer you a 2021 MacBook Pro 14".
I'd just smile and say "thank you very much!".

More likely, they might offer a 2020 MacBook Pro 13" (with m1 CPU).
If they do, try to get one with 16gb of RAM...
I am planning the same, if this is the case. But I am pretty sure they will insist giving me the 2020 model 13", because mine was also the early 2015 base model 13" with 8GB ram and 128GB SSD.
Actually they should give me the newest model, which is the 2021, as you said, but I am pretty sure they will try everything to avoid this.
I am actually okay for both cases, but what irritates me in this case is the time and procedure that have to be waited for this replacement to be completed. I am really curious what will happen, and when?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If I do the erase process remotely, can someone get to my files after he/she connects my PC to an internet?
I already had password but I disabled it as I was going to give the MBP to the Apple Store.

I am planning the same, if this is the case. But I am pretty sure they will insist giving me the 2020 model 13", because mine was also the early 2015 base model 13" with 8GB ram and 128GB SSD.
Actually they should give me the newest model, which is the 2021, as you said, but I am pretty sure they will try everything to avoid this.
I am actually okay for both cases, but what irritates me in this case is the time and procedure that have to be waited for this replacement to be completed. I am really curious what will happen, and when?
I'm sorry this happened to you but I'd just ask for the 1 TB 14 inch MBP or higher.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I'm sorry this happened to you but I'd just ask for the 1 TB 14 inch MBP or higher.
I would ask for the maxed-out MacBook Pro. It is unacceptable for any company to lose the laptop left for repair, let alone Apple. You might have left invaluable personal information on your laptop that can never be replaced. This is truly embarrassing for Apple and they should compensate by giving you the very best that they can.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
No. Comparable would be a used 2015 13" with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. Anything more than that is beyond what you're entitled to.
If you were me, in this case, would you accept a "used" early 2015 13" MBP, that comes from another user?
Do you think this is really fair? I gave them my own MBP, they lost it, and they give me another used one? It makes no sense to me. If they were already producing the Early 2015s then I would accept the same in "new" condition, not used. But unfortunately now is the base model on the Apple Store is the M1-chipped 2020 model 13" MBP, which I deserve as the replacement.

I would ask for the maxed-out MacBook Pro. It is unacceptable for any company to lose the laptop left for repair, let alone Apple. You might have left invaluable personal information on your laptop that can never be replaced. This is truly embarrassing for Apple and they should compensate by giving you the very best that they can.
Actually I am not planning to request a max-hardwared MBP, as I think I do not deserve it in this case. I am actually trying to understand the Apple as well, as maybe this is not their bad, because the UPS lost the PC, as they stated.
So in this case, I am okay if they give me a base model 13" 2020 or 14" 2021 MBP, because my own Early 2015 13" was also the base model at that time.

However I extremely agree your statement, I left valuable information inside like all my research documents, photos, personal infos, contacts etc. I have already my BackUp, but this is not the point I am mentioning. Whoever has stolen the MBP can obtain these info, hence I am really upset mad at Apple in fact. It is really embarassing for them.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
If you were me, in this case, would you accept a "used" early 2015 13" MBP, that comes from another user?
Do you think this is really fair? I gave them my own MBP, they lost it, and they give me another used one? It makes no sense to me. If they were already producing the Early 2015s then I would accept the same in "new" condition, not used. But unfortunately now is the base model on the Apple Store is the M1-chipped 2020 model 13" MBP, which I deserve as the replacement.
You only deserve a used 2015. That's what was lost. Legally, they could just pay you what the 2015 is worth, which isn't much.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
You only deserve a used 2015. That's what was lost. Legally, they could just pay you what the 2015 is worth, which isn't much.
From your replies I can pretty understand that you have not experienced that kind of problem in past, as you are not trying to understand how bad this is.
Let me give you further info about the problem:

When I get the Apple Store on 02.12.2021, I asked the Genius Bar about removing all the documents or formatting the SSD, he told me that this is not needed as they were not going into the SSD or documents. Hence I trusted him and did nothing, I just deactivated the password. All of my documents were inside, as he said it was so normal to leave them. But now if the MBP is lost, whose fault is this?

Could you please show me a legal writing, which states the calculation of a used MBP after 6 years, in order to understand how valuable is it in terms of money?
Or do you calculate it based on eBay prices? Please, make more empathy.

You are looking at the topic in this way:
Okay, an Early 2015 MBP 13" is lost, then we give him another used Early 2015 MBP 13".
Really?!
Is it ethical?!
Who was the previous user of the MBP you are trying to give me?
What is the difference of condition in between two used devices?
What if the used MBP has any issue that nobody notices so far?
And lastly, who really accepts this kind of weird offer?!

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
From your replies I can pretty understand that you have not experienced that kind of problem in past, as you are not trying to understand how bad this is.
Let me give you further info about the problem:

When I get the Apple Store on 02.12.2021, I asked the Genius Bar about removing all the documents or formatting the SSD, he told me that this is not needed as they were not going into the SSD or documents. Hence I trusted him and did nothing, I just deactivated the password. All of my documents were inside, as he said it was so normal to leave them. But now if the MBP is lost, whose fault is this?

Could you please show me a legal writing, which states the calculation of a used MBP after 6 years, in order to understand how valuable is it in terms of money?
Or do you calculate it based on eBay prices? Please, make more empathy.
It sucks that they lost it, but protecting your information was your responsibility, not theirs.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
It sucks that they lost it, but protecting your information was your responsibility, not theirs.
Okay, leave it like this. You are looking at the topic in an extreme "senseful" manner, from just one perspective. Let us assume "okay it was my responsibility to protect my info".

I do not want to fight you as I am pretty sure you have not experienced this issue previously, so that you talk so relaxed.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
If you do what glenthompson advised, no one can get at your info. In the future, always remove personal info before servicing...and back up important documents and files on a constant basis.

I will surely do that, when they are confident and affirm that the MBP is lost 100%. For now I am waiting.

Reactions: traveltoromantis

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In regards to Apple providing you a new Mac, unless they ask you what kind of Mac you want (re: memory and SSD) don’t go trying to take advantage of the situation. Be thankful you get a brand new machine (if that is the case) and keep the mouth closed. Legally speaking, Apple only needs to make you whole by providing you with the same or similar specced Mac, whether it be brand new or refurb. Trying to dictate what you get if Apple is offering to go beyond shows a lot of entitlement and greed, in my opinion.

Apple will make things right. Do your part and erase the old Mac and be patient while Apple takes care of the red tape.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I’ve had repairs done via the apple store many, many times and every time they always ask me beforehand if I’ve backed up my data. Even if they are not working on an area related to the ssd.
Data backup is the customers responsibility.

I recently had a button issue with my iphone 12 pro max. The Apple Store said they would replace the outer frame, but still asked if I had backed up my data before taking my phone. A few days later I got my phone back and the service order showed they had also replaced the logic board. I had to restore my phone from a backup as all of the data was gone because they swapped in a new logic board.

As for compensation, I’d say they will probably offer you the base 13” MBP as that is the equivalen of your model. That would be the 13” M1/8GB/256GB model as they no longer offer 128GB configurations.

Last edited:

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
In regards to Apple providing you a new Mac, unless they ask you what kind of Mac you want (re: memory and SSD) don’t go trying to take advantage of the situation. Be thankful you get a brand new machine (if that is the case) and keep the mouth closed. Legally speaking, Apple only needs to make you whole by providing you with the same or similar specced Mac, whether it be brand new or refurb. Trying to dictate what you get if Apple is offering to go beyond shows a lot of entitlement and greed, in my opinion.

Apple will make things right. Do your part and erase the old Mac and be patient while Apple takes care of the red tape.
I am planning the same, whatever they give me as the compensation is possibly okay for me, as this is what I deserve, I think. Even the base model 2020 model is okay, because it is still in sale on the Apple website. Hope this will be the case, we will see what happens this week...

I’ve had repairs done via the apple store many, many times and every time they always ask me beforehand if I’ve backed up my data. Even if they are not working on an area related to the ssd.
Data backup is the customers responsibility.

I recently had a button issue with my iphone 12 pro max. The Apple Store said they would replace the outer frame, but still asked if I had backed up my data before taking my phone. A few days later I got my phone back and the service order showed they had also replaced the logic board. I had to restore my phone from a backup as all of the data was gone because they swapped in a new logic board.

As for compensation, I’d say they will probably offer you the base 13” MBP as that is the equivalen of your model. That would be the 13” M1/8GB/256GB model as they no longer offer 128GB configurations.

I am not extremely worrying about my data, I have already backups. I am afraid someone stoles my MBP and reaches those data, as it includes all research data, photos, personal things etc. But I hope all can be removed when I try to erase the device from the iCloud, have no idea now as I have never used this option.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
Hi. I have a MBP early 2015 that I left at the Apple Store in Munich on 02.12.2021, for battery replacement/repair. The device was supposed to be sent to a repair center in Czech Republic, however Apple Store told me on 10.12.2021, that the UPS could not provide any info and my computer currently might be lost, they guess. If this is the case, they were going to give me a new MBP, they said.

I would like to ask you about possible options and scenarios in this case, if ever someone has experienced the same?
Do they open an investigation, or how many days does it take to send/give me a replacement?
What happens to my lost MBP? (It had no password, anyone can enter and obtain my personal info and documents in it, which I am really worried)?

Lawyer up and threaten to sue the pants off them. Seriously: if it’s lost then someone else could have your personal data in their hands due to apple’s gross negligence. That’s a huge liability for them. Get your lawyer to hold their feet to the fire — with a company that has as deep pockets as Apple you can practically name your price for the settlement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.