Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
All I am saying is for him to protect himself. People have a very bad habit of assuming to much and are then surprised when the opposite happens. If the OP choses to believe the words of the manager and has nothing to back it up then that is the OP's right.

Apple would never ask the OP for the replacement laptop back - it's not their style. If anything - and this is a huge doubt - the manager could contact the OP should the original laptop show up and give them the option to buy it. In no way would they ever ask for the replacement back.

It's not their style, they are a solid customer-focused company and would never even think to do that. Makes absolutely no sense. The odds would be greater that they would hand over the original laptop to OP at no cost.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
I sent a mail to Tim Cook almost 2 days ago, due to the problems at the store with the 2nd manager.
For this, this morning someone from Apple called me and talked regarding that e-mail.

The person who called me today told me that he received my mail, and read every detail, he contacted the store and started the investigation on his end, now he is waiting a reply from them. As long as they give him an answer, he will work on it and contact me again tomorrow, he told.

I then told him that the issue can be considered "resolved" as I got a replacement yesterday, of course it had to be paid-upgrade, so I have the computer right now. Then he told me how much I paid, I told the difference with the student discount. He noted it down.

Now I have no idea what will happen and what we are going to speak with him tomorrow, I tried to stop the investigation by telling the issue can be considered as resolved, however he would like to proceed I guess. Hence he asked me about the price I paid, and the solution from the store.

I will give updates if there exists anything tomorrow and I hope I am not a trouble for the store.
I am just now waiting and have no complaints about the yesterdays solution at the store.

You know what this means? They are going to refund the difference of €480. I think you'll just pay AppleCare. Maintain comportment as you have so far and just let them know it would be nice if they give you the option to buy the original laptop back if it is found.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Apple would never ask the OP for the replacement laptop back - it's not their style. If anything - and this is a huge doubt - the manager could contact the OP should the original laptop show up and give them the option to buy it. In no way would they ever ask for the replacement back.

It's not their style, they are a solid customer-focused company and would never even think to do that. Makes absolutely no sense. The odds would be greater that they would hand over the original laptop to OP at no cost.
The manager has already told me this during our phone call yesterday morning, before I pay the difference.
He told me that the lost device is now theirs, as long as I accept the replacement. Now if it ever appears, it will be sent for recycling. I accepted it in the phone call, verbally. There was no more chance he offered me, hence I had to accept. I did not think to request my lost device, when appears, or directly purchase it by paying. Now I notice there would be those chances.

You know what this means? They are going to refund the difference of €480. I think you'll just pay AppleCare. Maintain comportment as you have so far and just let them know it would be nice if they give you the option to buy the original laptop back if it is found.
I really have no idea. I just wanted to escalate this "cannot-be-solved" issue to a higher department 2 days ago, before the yesterday's solution existed, and luckily today I was called. However yesterday we resolved this, of course I paid the difference. There was no chance that I could get 2020 MBP, as I can not utilize it in my works or education (due to previous reasons). However I am not sure if they refund it to me or not. I just stated the final result to the person, who called me this morning.

He told me just he will be waiting for a reply from the store, and he is going to call me back tomorrow. I surely hope to get refund, however I am also okay if it does not happen. Because I do not want to put the store into a trouble. I contacted Tim Cook via mail because of the reason I could not proceed with a fair solution with the managers at the store, it was 2 days ago, before the manager called and apologized me yesterday morning.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
The manager has already told me this during our phone call yesterday morning, before I pay the difference.
He told me that the lost device is now theirs, as long as I accept the replacement. Now if it ever appears, it will be sent for recycling. I accepted it in the phone call, verbally. There was no more chance he offered me, hence I had to accept. I did not think to request my lost device, when appears, or directly purchase it by paying. Now I notice there would be those chances.

I really have no idea. I just wanted to escalate this "cannot-be-solved" issue to a higher department 2 days ago, before the yesterday's solution existed, and luckily today I was called. However yesterday we resolved this, of course I paid the difference. There was no chance that I could get 2020 MBP, as I can not utilize it in my works or education (due to previous reasons). However I am not sure if they refund it to me or not. I just stated the final result to the person, who called me this morning.

He told me just he will be waiting for a reply from the store, and he is going to call me back tomorrow. I surely hope to get refund, however I am also okay if it does not happen. Because I do not want to put the store into a trouble. I contacted Tim Cook via mail because of the reason I could not proceed with a fair solution with the managers at the store, it was 2 days ago, before the manager called and apologized me yesterday morning.

I think you handled it very well and should not feel bad about contacting Tim Cook. You had been patient with Apple and were given certain information from manager. It's a shame the second manager did not "get the memo" causing you to escalate this issue. Your response was valid. If anything, Apple would make this a training issue and let the managers know how to handle the next customer they find in this situation.

I'll hold out hope you get a refund because, unless I'm mistaken, you were told you could possibly choose between 2020 13" and 2021 14" at no additional cost. Even if it does not happen, you have a great machine and this was resolved amicably.

Reactions: profcutter

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I think you handled it very well and should not feel bad about contacting Tim Cook. You had been patient with Apple and were given certain information from manager. It's a shame the second manager did not "get the memo" causing you to escalate this issue. Your response was valid. If anything, Apple would make this a training issue and let the managers know how to handle the next customer they find in this situation.

I'll hold out hope you get a refund because, unless I'm mistaken, you were told you could possibly choose between 2020 13" and 2021 14" at no additional cost. Even if it does not happen, you have a great machine and this was resolved amicably.
I agree as well, however I am feeling a bit different due to the fact that the last person (who called me this morning for the mail) involved in the situation a bit late. İ already expressed him that I am already okay with the situation, we have resolved it yesterday evening, I had to pay the difference but at the end I now got the 2021 model.

But anyway he told me about the price, and told me he was going to wait until a reply from the store. In this case I am not sure if the store and/or the managers are in trouble, hence I am feeling a bit guilty. I did not want this to happen in that way. I contacted Tim Cook as the manager was completely not helping me. Then he changed his mind, apologized, and we resolved. At the end todays person involved in.

I hope nothing problematic happens tomorrow. He is going to call me probably, once he gets a reply from the store. But I am a bit worried for the managers. They might think that I started this complaint via the mail to Tim Cook, after I got the replacement device. However it is now due to a wrong time management. Complicated ??

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Im glad this got resolved for you. But honestly the big problem was all the people on here running their mouth about what you may or may not be entitled too. As far as the 14 not feeling like your old machine yea thats what 6 years of progress will get ya, its a better machine in every way imaginable, except if one imagines themselves using boot camp in windows.

• Love
Reactions: GoztepeEge

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Im glad this got resolved for you. But honestly the big problem was all the people on here running their mouth about what you may or may not be entitled too. As far as the 14 not feeling like your old machine yea thats what 6 years of progress will get ya, its a better machine in every way imaginable, except if one imagines themselves using boot camp in windows.
As time goes by, it started feeling a bit better. Now I am more comfortable on this computer, compared to 3 days ago.
But surely there are some bugs I noticed, but I believe they will be resolved with new updates of the Monterey. Overall, this computer is damn fast.

I am not sure how often I will need a Windows, I have not started working on it. Bootcamp was excellent, I was using a Windows 10 installed on one of my external harddrives, but now probably I will try the Parallels Desktop on this M1 processored Mac.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
As time goes by, it started feeling a bit better. Now I am more comfortable on this computer, compared to 3 days ago.
But surely there are some bugs I noticed, but I believe they will be resolved with new updates of the Monterey. Overall, this computer is damn fast.

I am not sure how often I will need a Windows, I have not started working on it. Bootcamp was excellent, I was using a Windows 10 installed on one of my external harddrives, but now probably I will try the Parallels Desktop on this M1 processored Mac.

Parallels is a great tool and I used that when I went from windows to mac about 8 years ago. I found that after months of using both, I no longer needed parallels for most apps as macos had a suitable replacement. Funny enough, the one program that kept me going back to parallels was MediaMonkey - music organizer/tagging program.

I just got my new macbook last night and currently transitioning from old to new. I'm going to hold off on parallels because I rarely ever use it. Windows apps are only needed for work and I can use the cloud for that. If it's needed, I may install or use it on the old machine, but I'm trying not to throw junk from one laptop to another.

Glad to have the function keys back and ready to be dongle-free.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
You’ll find that the support of windows apps on the new machines even using parallels is much more limited than with the intel models.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
UNEXPECTED NEWS on 13.01.2022:

A few days ago I received an SMS and an e-mail, stated that "Your device has arrived in the repair center, and the repair is going to start soon." from Apple.
I checked everywhere, no more details have been found. I started believing that my device has been really found.
Today on 13.01.2022, I got a call from the manager of the Apple Store Munich.

He told me that they received my "lost" 2015 MBP today, even the battery replacement process has been done.
He called me because I stated him that I was worried due to my personal info that were left in that lost device. So today, he called me to make sure that the data were going to be wiped off at the Apple store, before they send that device to Apple for recycling.

After that I got a notification from "Find my iPhone" app, my device has been connected to the internet. Even the location was Munich, Apple store. Then in 10 minutes I lost the connection because they wiped off the computer.

Nobody knows what happened within UPS, where my computer was, why it took that much long. I tried to ask these to the manager, but even he has no idea. It seems this was a problem within UPS, because my device was delivered to the repair center on Monday in Czech Republic, and it came back today to the Munich.

Long story short, now I am feeling much more relaxed and satisfied. I am again a bit sad for my lovely device, but at least it feels better to know that it is not "lost" eventually. It had a new battery inside, which I wanted to have 1 month ago, but we proceeded with a different solution which was the replacement with a 2021 MBP 14". Now I started loving this device as well, it is an extreme computer, I know. Now the final result is that; I have a new device which I paid 480 euro for, my previously-lost device appeared surprisingly with a new battery inside (after all 6 weeks), however all of my data wiped off and that device is going to be sent to Apple for recycling. That is all, happy end ?

Raebo

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2021
With the pandemic, I think things have been a little bit more hit and miss with these delivery systems like UPS, especially around Christmas time. End of November I order a 15 dollar part for my dryer. It ended up lost so I just ordered another one a week ago. Yesterday both showed up at my house.
Glad things worked out for you and hope you enjoy your new machine for many years.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013

A few days ago I received an SMS and an e-mail, stated that "Your device has arrived in the repair center, and the repair is going to start soon." from Apple.
I checked everywhere, no more details have been found. I started believing that my device has been really found.

He told me that they received my "lost" 2015 MBP today, even the battery replacement process has been done.
He called me because I stated him that I was worried due to my personal info that were left in that lost device. So today, he called me to make sure that the data were going to be wiped off at the Apple store, before they send that device to Apple for recycling.

After that I got a notification from "Find my iPhone" app, my device has been connected to the internet. Even the location was Munich, Apple store. Then in 10 minutes I lost the connection because they wiped off the computer.

Nobody knows what happened within UPS, where my computer was, why it took that much long. I tried to ask these to the manager, but even he has no idea. It seems this was a problem within UPS, because my device was delivered to the repair center on Monday in Czech Republic, and it came back today to the Munich.

Long story short, now I am feeling much more relaxed and satisfied. I am again a bit sad for my lovely device, but at least it feels better to know that it is not "lost" eventually. It had a new battery inside, which I wanted to have 1 month ago, but we proceeded with a different solution which was the replacement with a 2021 MBP 14". Now I started loving this device as well, it is an extreme computer, I know. Now the final result is that; I have a new device which I paid 480 euro for, my previously-lost device appeared surprisingly with a new battery inside (after all 6 weeks), however all of my data wiped off and that device is going to be sent to Apple for recycling. That is all, happy end ?

Wow - what an unexpected turn of events. This worked out 100% in your favor without any negative security impacts. Very happy for you.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth

In your post it mentions that the battery replacement had been done. Therefore the repair you sent it in for had been done. This tells me then that the macbook had been passed onto the repair center, they did the repair and sent it back but UPS never updated their computer system because in one of your posts it said the macbook was at the UPS site and from there it seemed to have got lost but yet it would appear that UPS did follow through on sending it to the repair center, recieved it back and sent it onto Apple Munich and no one at UPS updated the tracking. How stupid of them.

Machine fixed and all because UPS failed to update their system properly, the OP lost out on his beloved macbook only for it to turn up a few weeks later. I bet the manager at Apple Munich is extremely annoyed at UPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.