Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
For the difference between 2020 and 2021 MBPs, I paid 480 Euro. I guess this is really acceptable. It would be better if they could give me the 2021 directly, however I can understand them as well.
In the end, you only paid €271 for the upgrade. You were going to pay for the new battery anyway, and had already allocated the money. Now you have a new battery for €209 just like you wanted, and a new computer for €271 ??

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
In the end, you only paid €271 for the upgrade. You were going to pay for the new battery anyway, and had already allocated the money. Now you have a new battery for €209 just like you wanted, and a new computer for €271 ??
Ah yes, this perspective is correct. Considerably acceptable.
But the new battery on the 2021 14” device has 4 cycles, I do not know why?! ? however the health is of course 100%?

Reactions: Wondercow

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
Ah yes, this perspective is correct. Considerably acceptable.
But the new battery on the 2021 14” device has 4 cycles, I do not know why?! ? however the health is of course 100%?
4 cycles is expected... that's called quality control.
I have a macbook pro I've used daily since 2017 - for work and personal. It has under 60 cycles. ?

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
4 cycles is expected... that's called quality control.
I have a macbook pro I've used daily since 2017 - for work and personal. It has under 60 cycles. ?
Ah okay then, I got it! ?
I am now using a new app called AlDente, for the battery optimization.
I keep it at 50% as I am using the computer at the desk daily. The app allows the computer to be operated with the adapter only, disables the battery.

I hope this helps me in terms of battery health, I will not allow this device to be lost in the future ?

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
Ah okay then, I got it! ?
I am now using a new app called AlDente, for the battery optimization.
I keep it at 50% as I am using the computer at the desk daily. The app allows the computer to be operated with the adapter only, disables the battery.

I hope this helps me in terms of battery health, I will not allow this device to be lost in the future ?

Got it - I think you should not worry too much though. A lot of research and development goes into these machines and I find many of these external apps may be unnecessary.
As long as I'm at my desk or have access to power, I tend to have my laptop plugged in. I notice Apple has a built-in utility that keeps battery at 80% charged and this is probably to maintain battery health. I have the option to fully charge, but don't feel the need to.

I think when you start pushing a machine to its limits, you may need these apps to release memory, manage battery, etc but that's not needed. For now, this machine is a lot more powerful than your previous machine. Try using it in its native state before adding apps that may not be needed. Those apps may even slow down your machine.

For instance, you see people with 16GB ram who complain that they only have a few programs on and it's using 12GB and want an app to free up memory. LOL It's hilarious because you get lots of memory for better performance and then worry that the machine is using the memory available to it.

Reactions: roronl

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I wonder what will happen if in a few weeks or few months UPS find his 2015 macbook. Will he give the 2021 macbook back and ask for refund and then use his 2015 macbook instead or will he keep the 2021 macbook ? :)

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
I wonder what will happen if in a few weeks or few months UPS find his 2015 macbook. Will he give the 2021 macbook back and ask for refund and then use his 2015 macbook instead or will he keep the 2021 macbook ? :)

Funny you mention it. But I was going to suggest that OP asks Apple to remain in contact with him in case they find his old laptop. If they find it, maybe he can buy it back. But knowing Apple, they will just discard.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Got it - I think you should not worry too much though. A lot of research and development goes into these machines and I find many of these external apps may be unnecessary.
As long as I'm at my desk or have access to power, I tend to have my laptop plugged in. I notice Apple has a built-in utility that keeps battery at 80% charged and this is probably to maintain battery health. I have the option to fully charge, but don't feel the need to.

I think when you start pushing a machine to its limits, you may need these apps to release memory, manage battery, etc but that's not needed. For now, this machine is a lot more powerful than your previous machine. Try using it in its native state before adding apps that may not be needed. Those apps may even slow down your machine.

For instance, you see people with 16GB ram who complain that they only have a few programs on and it's using 12GB and want an app to free up memory. LOL It's hilarious because you get lots of memory for better performance and then worry that the machine is using the memory available to it.
This might be correct and wisely, yes. I agree. However in my opinion I already tested a myth of 30%-80% charging path, and my iPhone 8 Plus has still 100% health, after 2 years and 1000 cycles.

Hence I will try the similar for this MBP, by trying to keep it around 50%-60%.
Maybe I can give up one day, but I have already done this for my early 2015. My battery was 75%, because I did not use it correct in the first 2 years.

Funny you mention it. But I was going to suggest that OP asks Apple to remain in contact with him in case they find his old laptop. If they find it, maybe he can buy it back. But knowing Apple, they will just discard.

We have already been through this with the manager. He told me strictly, “as long as you accept the replacement, it means your lost device is ours. If it ever appears, we are going to send it to Apple for recycle”
So I will not get my early 2015 ???‍♂️

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
This might be correct and wisely, yes. I agree. However in my opinion I already tested a myth of 30%-80% charging path, and my iPhone 8 Plus has still 100% health, after 2 years and 1000 cycles.

Hence I will try the similar for this MBP, by trying to keep it around 50%-60%.
Maybe I can give up one day, but I have already done this for my early 2015. My battery was 75%, because I did not use it correct in the first 2 years.

We have already been through this with the manager. He told me strictly, “as long as you accept the replacement, it means your lost device is ours. If it ever appears, we are going to send it to Apple for recycle”
So I will not get my early 2015 ???‍♂️
When you discussed this with the manager, if the 2015 turns up, what is he going to do with the data because under EU data privacy law, whilst the hardware may belong to Apple, by law the data still belongs to you which means Apple cannot recycle the macbook without giving you your data back.

So, what was the replacement agreement. Did you agree that if found, the 2015 macbook and everything in it becomes the property of Apple?

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
When you discussed this with the manager, if the 2015 turns up, what is he going to do with the data because under EU data privacy law, whilst the hardware may belong to Apple, by law the data still belongs to you which means Apple cannot recycle the macbook without giving you your data back.

So, what was the replacement agreement. Did you agree that if found, the 2015 macbook and everything in it becomes the property of Apple?
I have not signed any agreement for the replacement. Maybe it is automatically and electronically signed, I have no idea.

But the manager asked me about my data. I told him that the computer had no password, no file encryption. He told me that “okay if your computer appears, we will anyway give you information and wipe out all your data before we send it to the Apple for the recycle. You can be sure we will erase everything when it comes here, and send it for recycle”.

Now this is the only thing I know.

Reactions: foggygray

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Because the battery is sticked on the aluminum case of early 2015s. They could not do this in store, and the whole topcase is replaced in this case (Topcase + Trackpad + Keyboard + Battery)

The final result is probably going to be like what you have said, also please read below.

I know, I have not done, it is my bad mostly. However I already asked about this to the employee at the Genius Bar. He told me it was not needed, as they were not going to work on the SSD part.

LAST NEWS FROM 16.12.2021 morning:

I got a phone call from the store this morning. It was again the manager from yesterday. He told me that there existed a misunderstood yesterday, he was insisting on the payment for the battery replacement service, I denied, because the first manager on Monday told me there was going to be "zero" cost. Yesterdays manager called me to apologize, I am not pushed to pay that amount right now.
"You will not pay the battery replacement price in either case, this is a good news. Sorry I did not know the previous manager told this to you like that." he said.
Plus, they are still ofering the 2020 M1 13" device, which is not really beneficial for me because of the aforementioned reasons (ports and 2 display support). If I want to have the 2021 14", I have to pay the price difference. This is what he expressed again. So he told me also that there are still both 2020 13" and 2021 14" MBPs reserved for me, I have time to decide which to get.
I started feeling like it will not get in a nice pathway, they still denies giving the 2021 14", which I can not understand 100%. Hence I decided to ask about the price difference.
He told me it is normally 800 Euro difference that I have to pay, but it becomes around 480 Euro with a student discount that I am eligible for. So in this case, I had him to reserve the 2021 14", but I have to pay in total 480 Euro. There will be no +209Euro price for the battery replacement service from my lost early 2015 device. And I also asked for a USBC-USBA converter, he offered me for free. He was really more reasonable and trying to be helpful today, he was not like yesterday. I am glad.

This is probably what will happen 2 hours later. I have an appointment there again. We have the following deal:
- MBP 2021 14" base-model
- 2 USBC to USBA dongles/converters
- 480 Euro payment from me (student discount)

And I am not sure if I should also get the AppleCare+, maybe, as he mentioned.
I am not so well informed about this service, but if you advise and say "it is worth", I will consider.

Sounds like you got the best possible result. So glad they didn't end up stiffing you on the battery cost - that would have been a real ****** thing for them to do.

Reactions: GoztepeEge

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I have not signed any agreement for the replacement. Maybe it is automatically and electronically signed, I have no idea.
You need to check because it is very very important. Why? because if there is no written agreement in place and Apple find your 2015 macbook, legally they are allowed to request you give them back the 2021 machine which they would have to refund your money and they then hand back your 2015 machine. The verbal agreement between you and the manager would be a verbal contract under the law but you would have to prove the manager said what he said if the manager denies saying what he said. Yes the chances of this happening is not common BUT it can happen and sometimes does happen.

You need to protect yourself. Go check if there is a written agreement in place, even if it's electronically.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Sounds like you got the best possible result. So glad they didn't end up stiffing you on the battery cost - that would have been a real ****** thing for them to do.
Yes, that would have ben really such bad thing. But hopefully this morning the manager called me to apologize for that misunderstanding, so the battery cost has been removed.

Now I am happy with the result, although I have paid some amount, which is surely acceptable.

You need to check because it is very very important. Why? because if there is no written agreement in place and Apple find your 2015 macbook, legally they are allowed to request you give them back the 2021 machine which they would have to refund your money and they then hand back your 2015 machine. The verbal agreement between you and the manager would be a verbal contract under the law but you would have to prove the manager said what he said if the manager denies saying what he said. Yes the chances of this happening is not common BUT it can happen and sometimes does happen.

You need to protect yourself. Go check if there is a written agreement in place, even if it's electronically.
I got it what you said. Okay. You are right. Maybe I can search for it and talk to them again in order to find out if everything is settled 100% correct. Even if there is any document about this situation, maybe I request a copy of it.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Happy to hear about the positive outcome, and agree with others, I think this was a very reasonable and fair offer from Apple. I echo @Wondercow that you can even think of it like you got a new 2021 14" MBP for E271, given in your mind, you had already paid E209 to replace your battery!

I also think getting the education discount on the upgrade price from 2020 13" M1, cutting it from E800 to E480 was a big win too. It worked out well that the education discount is E320 on the 2021 14" base model, and if you think of it like it's applied to the E800 price, it's 40% off! (Instead of E320 on E2299 = 14%)

Enjoy your new MBP!

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Apple taking back the machine they already gave you is perhaps possible, but would be such a terrible move PR wise I really doubt they would do it. Besides, you paid for the new machine, how are they going to make you give it back if you paid for it? Keep the receipt.

arche3

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2020

The apple manager is already moved on. He doesn't care about the computer he just gave as a replacement. He will never have to give anything back. In the real world if the lost laptop reappears the manager ships it off to recycle and never thinks about it again.

Reactions: profcutter

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Happy to hear about the positive outcome, and agree with others, I think this was a very reasonable and fair offer from Apple. I echo @Wondercow that you can even think of it like you got a new 2021 14" MBP for E271, given in your mind, you had already paid E209 to replace your battery!

I also think getting the education discount on the upgrade price from 2020 13" M1, cutting it from E800 to E480 was a big win too. It worked out well that the education discount is E320 on the 2021 14" base model, and if you think of it like it's applied to the E800 price, it's 40% off! (Instead of E320 on E2299 = 14%)

Enjoy your new MBP!
Definitely. I was worth to pay 480 euro in total for the 2021 MBP 14". I am really glad right now. And I am glad that I also purchased an AppleCare+ for the first time.
Good job!!!!!!!
Thank you so much ?

The apple manager is already moved on. He doesn't care about the computer he just gave as a replacement. He will never have to give anything back. In the real world if the lost laptop reappears the manager ships it off to recycle and never thinks about it again.
This is probably what will happen because he told me all these things when he called me in the morning. At the end I accepted that I will not get my early 2015 even if ever appears a few weeks/months later.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
All I am saying is for him to protect himself. People have a very bad habit of assuming to much and are then surprised when the opposite happens. If the OP choses to believe the words of the manager and has nothing to back it up then that is the OP's right.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I sent a mail to Tim Cook almost 2 days ago, due to the problems at the store with the 2nd manager.
For this, this morning someone from Apple called me and talked regarding that e-mail.

The person who called me today told me that he received my mail, and read every detail, he contacted the store and started the investigation on his end, now he is waiting a reply from them. As long as they give him an answer, he will work on it and contact me again tomorrow, he told.

I then told him that the issue can be considered "resolved" as I got a replacement yesterday, of course it had to be paid-upgrade, so I have the computer right now. Then he told me how much I paid, I told the difference with the student discount. He noted it down.

Now I have no idea what will happen and what we are going to speak with him tomorrow, I tried to stop the investigation by telling the issue can be considered as resolved, however he would like to proceed I guess. Hence he asked me about the price I paid, and the solution from the store.

I will give updates if there exists anything tomorrow and I hope I am not a trouble for the store.
I am just now waiting and have no complaints about the yesterdays solution at the store.

Reactions: profcutter

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I sent a mail to Tim Cook almost 2 days ago, due to the problems at the store with the 2nd manager.
For this, this morning someone from Apple called me and talked regarding that e-mail.

The person who called me today told me that he received my mail, and read every detail, he contacted the store and started the investigation on his end, now he is waiting a reply from them. As long as they give him an answer, he will work on it and contact me again tomorrow, he told.

I then told him that the issue can be considered "resolved" as I got a replacement yesterday, of course it had to be paid-upgrade, so I have the computer right now. Then he told me how much I paid, I told the difference with the student discount. He noted it down.

Now I have no idea what will happen and what we are going to speak with him tomorrow, I tried to stop the investigation by telling the issue can be considered as resolved, however he would like to proceed I guess. Hence he asked me about the price I paid, and the solution from the store.

I will give updates if there exists anything tomorrow and I hope I am not a trouble for the store.
I am just now waiting and have no complaints about the yesterdays solution at the store.
Why did you send email to Tim Cook about the 2nd manager? You said 2nd manager not understand what 1st manager did and you corrected him. You said 2nd manager apologised and he help you. Maybe you now get store in trouble.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
Here is the final result of the topic.
I went to the store, my selection of MBP 2021 14" was ready to be picked up.
The manager worked on the thing a bit, took almost 30-40 minutes to be completed.
I did not pay for the battery replacement, which has never been done, as 209 Euro. The manager has apologised me for the inconvenience and misunderstanding, and they waived it off.
At the end, I received the brand-new 2021 14" MBP base-model, and now I am writing on this computer. (For now it does not feel like my early 2015 lovely MBP, however it is damn fast, I liked.)

The manager also has given me 2 Apple USB C to USB A dongles, for free, gift.

I also added AppleCare+. I asked about it to the manager, he told me that it is completely up to me, but is beneficial. Especially the 3 years coverage seems so nice. And if I ever drop my computer or maybe my coffee spills on it, even the most expensive repair like maybe motherboard, would cost me 249 Euro. Normally it is more than 1000, he said. So I just accepted the AppleCare+, student discount was 10%, so I paid 269 Euro for it.

For the difference between 2020 and 2021 MBPs, I paid 480 Euro. I guess this is really acceptable. It would be better if they could give me the 2021 directly, however I can understand them as well.

Long story short, I am grateful that there are lots of respectful users, who tried to help me by sharing comments, ideas, and experiences. I am so happy to have this interaction with you all, even in negative comments.

Here is the closing part, happy pictures! ☺️
? ? ? ? 14" ?

• Love

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Why did you send email to Tim Cook about the 2nd manager? You said 2nd manager not understand what 1st manager did and you corrected him. You said 2nd manager apologised and he help you. Maybe you now get store in trouble.
It was 2 days ago evening, after the 2nd manager was not helpful and did not help me at all.
This is when I sent an e-mail.
1 day later in the morning the 2nd manager told me to apologise and help. This was yesterday.

So when I sent this mail, it was before yesterday. There was nothing but problems.
Right now I already stated to the person, who called me in this morning, that the issue has been resolved by the managers at the store.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
That second manager may now be regretting taking the hard line with you at the beginning. It was stupid to come at you demanding you pay for a battery replacement that never happened. I’m glad they changed their tune, but the fact that it all took so long, and they were so inconsistent with what they told you may mean that someone in QA is going to try to figure out why this happened in the first place. Seems to me the best thing they could have done was “oh my, it was lost while in our care? Here’s a 14 inch base model for your trouble, with our apologies” not string you along for weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.