Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is making it easier for customers to donate to the ongoing crisis in Ukraine through UNICEF by adding a banner on top of its website that directs users to an iTunes page that allows them to donate up to $200 using their Apple ID payment method.

unicef-apple-Ukraine-donations.jpg

Apple says that all donations made through the iTunes portal will go directly to UNICEF USA and its ongoing efforts in Ukraine to support families impacted by the war. Apple has already announced several steps it is taking in response to the situation in Ukraine, including ceasing sales operations in Russia and the removal of several Russian state-sponsored news outlets from the App Store.

Apple's CEO Tim Cook in a letter to staff this week, obtained by MacRumors, also said that Apple would match employee donations to eligible organizations aiding in Ukraine at a rate of 2:1, retroactive for donations made since February 25. Cook has publicly said Apple will donate to efforts in Ukraine, and Apple has said it is "deeply concerned" about the ongoing conflict.

Article Link: Apple Making It Easier For Customers to Donate to Those in Need in Ukraine

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Very interesting how Tim Cook only stopped sales in Russia after the currency crash there. This is the guy who claims to care about freedom of speech, gay rights, etc but he does everything to comply with Russian laws instead of standing up for his so called beliefs.

Totally valid observation. However, he does have an obligation to AAPL Holders as well.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Very interesting how Tim Cook only stopped sales in Russia after the currency crash there. This is the guy who claims to care about freedom of speech, gay rights, etc but he does everything to comply with Russian laws instead of standing up for his so called beliefs.
What's really very interesting is how some people manage to use Apple's generosity as a way to edge in and slag on TC/Apple. Despite knowing corporate decisions are never made instantaneously, and that United States law prevents companies from engaging in political matters/causes (freedom of speech, gay rights, etc) in other countries.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Totally valid observation. However, he does have an obligation to AAPL Holders as well.
Understood, but please don’t be claiming the moral high ground when being a sissy. (Tim Cook, not you) Cook himself is gay and claims to support gay folks, but he removed the pride flag in Russia. He claims that privacy is a fundamental human right but let’s CCP keep user data. Again, while he does have an obligation to shareholders, he can also shut up and not make hypocritical statements.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
It's not launching for me within Music on the desktop? Maybe a lot of traffic?

Edit: It works for me now, and I just chipped in $50. If people are in a position to even kick in $5 or $10, it really does help.

$10 is a probably 10-25 meals, when you are preparing food in bulk. José Andrés' charity World Central Kitchen is doing a lot of this work right now for Ukrainian refugees:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
It's not launching for me within Music on the desktop? Maybe a lot of traffic?

Edit: It works for me now, and I just chipped in $50. If people are in a position to even kick in $5 or $10, it really does help.

$10 is a probably 10-25 meals, when you are preparing food in bulk. José Andrés' charity World Central Kitchen is doing a lot of this work right now for Ukrainian refugees:

It isn't working for me either on Desktop. Doesn't respond or error out. Do you have to donate via a Mac? That would be an odd limitation.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Understood, but please don’t be claiming the moral high ground when being a sissy. (Tim Cook, not you) Cook himself is gay and claims to support gay folks, but he removed the pride flag in Russia. He claims that privacy is a fundamental human right but let’s CCP keep user data. Again, while he does have an obligation to shareholders, he can also shut up and not make hypocritical statements.
You clearly don’t understand how business and politics work.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What hypocritical statements did Tim cook make?

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Nice to see. The non combatants, particularly children are the most negatively impacted by war. It's something no child should have to endure in the modern era. But, every opportunity to help is noticed.

As Apple and other companies in the international community abandon Russia, the noose of sanctions and financial restrictions tighten even further. I recently read that Cogent was going to cut off Rostelecom from Cogent's backbone at noon EST today. Most likely, other providers will follow.

The Russian government was/is totally unprepared for such an organized response from the community of nations. Never has such a large nation been hit with economic sanctions to such a degree in the digital age. The impact on the ruling class of Russia will be significant, and it will make a difference.

I worry about how Putin will react once totally cornered. These are scary times.

I did notice that a lot of Russian people are protesting the actions of their government at real and great risk to themselves. I would hope that when conditions improve, people in more liberal (with a small "l") countries will remember that the regime doesn't always represent the nation, or the people.

Many Russians will need to be held to account, but we must also be willing to recognize those who were among those who stood up for what they believed was right, and took great risks to do so.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Very interesting how you take the timing and make it fit your own personal interpretation.

The situation was evolving and anybody taking action was right to proceed cautiously. Remember, in Russia, many there are against the war, and they are directly affected by any actions taken, even though they are not the responsible parties. So yes, a cautious, calculated approach is warranted.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Very interesting how you take the timing and make it fit your own personal interpretation.

The situation was evolving and anybody taking action was right to proceed cautiously. Remember, in Russia, many there are against the war, and they are directly affected by any actions taken, even though they are not the responsible parties. So yes, a cautious, calculated approach is warranted.
If enough people in Russia were against the war and against their dictator, they’d Get rid of him

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
What hypocritical statements did Tim cook make?
He said “privacy is a fundamental human right” yet he stores Chinese customer data in China and the CCP has access to said data. I’m not suggesting he pull out of the Chinese market (he’s be removed as CEO), just that he aught to keep quiet when it comes to privacy related stuff, especially with their CSAM debacle last year.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Nice to see. The non combatants, particularly children are the most negatively impacted by war. It's something no child should have to endure in the modern era. But, every opportunity to help is noticed.
This. There is also the issue of animals. Sure, some pets have made it out but many/most have not. Let's not forget that Ukraine has zoos and sanctuaries and even if shells don't land on their enclosures without keepers to feed them they have millions of starving animals. For every feel-good story that someone got their pet out, or stayed behind to care for them, many more were abandoned and sit unreported.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Tim Cook also claims to care about Apple and it's investors, so let's not pretend like this is a simple situation for him or Apple.

Idealism is black and white.

Reality is complicated and hard.

ramallite

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Greensboro
As I've written before in these politics-allowed comments sections: Tim Cook once hosted Netanyahu at Cupertino. This caring about human rights might be believable by some, but definitely not all.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Apple took its sweet time on this but glad its here finally.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
What's really very interesting is how some people manage to use Apple's generosity as a way to edge in and slag on TC/Apple. Despite knowing corporate decisions are never made instantaneously, and that United States law prevents companies from engaging in political matters/causes (freedom of speech, gay rights, etc) in other countries.
What law?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
He said “privacy is a fundamental human right” yet he stores Chinese customer data in China and the CCP has access to said data.
Its not hypocritical to follow local laws as in turning over iCloud content to law enforcement. When it comes to government there is no privacy.
I’m not suggesting he pull out of the Chinese market (he’s be removed as CEO), just that he aught to keep quiet when it comes to privacy related stuff, especially with their CSAM debacle last year.
Csam has nothing to do with privacy. Having illegal content on your phone, now you know you shouldn’t. Bottom line, apple respects privacy but your data is up for grabs with search and seizure by the government.

applicious84

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2020
As I've written before in these politics-allowed comments sections: Tim Cook once hosted Netanyahu at Cupertino. This caring about human rights might be believable by some, but definitely not all.

Great article! I was fortunate to read it earlier today

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.