Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Ummmm…..

0537A9F5-5C55-4337-9645-2793F4AA1FD4.png

B10177EC-8EA0-423D-A554-3C8ACC2B542A.png

Reactions: TouchedByAl

TouchedByAl

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Salt Lake City
I imagine you will see more graphical glitches like this with detailed city maps since it is SO specific about lane positions....even with a basic RH turn like this.
That’s concerning to me. How long do you think it’ll take Apple to fix this? I feel like these mistakes should’ve been caught when updating the map before it’s released to the public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That’s concerning to me. How long do you think it’ll take Apple to fix this? I feel like these mistakes should’ve been caught when updating the map before it’s released to the public.
They seem few and far between and don't affect the routing, so probably not high on the list. I haven't experienced this glitch at all when I route in NYC, but certainly not using it as much as @G1Ravage since I only work there and don't live there.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
It happened again! I was viewing an area that has Look Around and hit the location arrow to go back to my current location (Look Around still isn’t available here). Like a few previous times, the Look Around button didn’t disappear.

HOWEVER…all of the previous times this happened, the wording was “Imagery is not available for this area”. But this time…I got different wording! ?
18B0E5B5-5E87-40F4-A717-9F17D80CDCB4.jpeg

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
It happened again! I was viewing an area that has Look Around and hit the location arrow to go back to my current location (Look Around still isn’t available here). Like a few previous times, the Look Around button didn’t disappear.

HOWEVER…all of the previous times this happened, the wording was “Imagery is not available for this area”. But this time…I got different wording! View attachment 2012706

Please please please!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Please please please!
Aside from Look Around, I’m definitely interested to see what sorts of Maps additions are announced on Monday. I’ll be at work, so I won’t be able to watch the keynote, but the beta should be dropping right around the time I get home!

Reactions: michelmike

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Belgium, Israel, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Palestinian territories, Saudi Arabia and Switzerland are getting new maps later this year, in addition to France, Monaco and New Zealand, which are currently being tested. That brings us to 11 countries/regions/territories that are still to get publicly released before the end of the year. I find it interesting that Apple mentioned Saudi Arabia which it hasn’t officially started surveying according to the Image Collection page. Maybe Apple does something similar to what it did with Japan and starts using third-party data providers in a way that results in a map that looks similar to Apple’s own map.

Atlanta, Chicago, Las Vegas, Melbourne, Miami, Seattle and Sydney will also get the detailed city experience later this year. I find it disappointing that we will have to wait for other big cities in other countries that Apple has released its own data in to get this feature, like Berlin in Germany, Madrid and Barcelona in Spain, Paris in France and Rome in Italy to name a few examples.

Last edited:

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Multi-stop planning...just to shut up Google Maps whiners...hah! Downloading now.
Speaking of other long awaited features, Justin O’Beirne has updated his essay on WWDC predictions. He says that sources indicate that Apple has been working on offline maps for several years. He also touched on the possibility of a web portal, which I think you might find interesting.

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Here are all the new features coming to Maps in iOS 16 that Apple has listed on its website:

Multi-stop routing
Add multiple stops along your driving route in Maps. Plan a route with multiple stops on your Mac and it syncs to your iPhone.

Transit cards in Maps
Add transit cards to Wallet, see low balances, and replenish your card, all without leaving Maps.

Transit fares
See how much your journey will cost with transit fares.

Starting point detection with VoiceOver in Maps
VoiceOver users now get automatic sound and haptic feedback that identifies the starting point for walking directions in Maps.

Reactions: G1Ravage

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I find it interesting that Apple mentioned Saudi Arabia which it hasn’t officially started surveying according to the Image Collection page. Maybe Apple does something similar to what it did with Japan and starts using third party data providers in a way that results in a map that looks similar to Apple’s own map.
I'd say this is a pretty important (and interesting thing to note). If Apple hasn't begun surveying a country yet but is also announcing that it will be released before the end of the year, maybe this is the start of a significant pick up in pace. Should be interesting to see what happens after this

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I'd say this is a pretty important (and interesting thing to note). If Apple hasn't begun surveying a country yet but is also announcing that it will be released before the end of the year, maybe this is the start of a significant pick up in pace. Should be interesting to see what happens after this
To be fair, Saudi Arabia is kind of like Canada; a few major cities/hubs and a lot of "no roads" area.

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Belgium, Israel, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Palestinian territories, Saudi Arabia and Switzerland are getting new maps later this year, in addition to France, Monaco and New Zealand, which are currently being tested. That brings us to 11 countries/regions/territories that are still to get publicly released before the end of the year. I find it interesting that Apple mentioned Saudi Arabia which it hasn’t officially started surveying according to the Image Collection page. Maybe Apple does something similar to what it did with Japan and starts using third party data providers in a way that results in a map that looks similar to Apple’s own map.

Atlanta, Chicago, Las Vegas, Melbourne, Miami, Seattle and Sydney will also get the detailed city experience later this year. I find it disappointing that we will have to wait for other big cities in other countries that Apple has released its own data in to get this feature, like Berlin in Germany, Madrid and Barcelona in Spain, Paris in France and Rome in Italy to name a few examples.
I was a bit disappointed to not see Sweden on the list, but it makes me hopeful that we could see it in the first half of 2023, as they should have gotten a lot of other countries that seem to have been prioritised covered by that time.

Reactions: Shifts

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Saudi Arabia comes out of nowhere. Does not have turn by turn feature (not even directions), has not been surveyed and does not have Google street view. Let's assume that Apple will quickly survey this country. It will therefore take significant work to release the new map data before the end of the year when there are already countries waiting and that would not give as much work. It really doesn't make sense and absolutely doesn't follow Apple's logic. In my opinion, Apple will use third-party data. But then why doesn't Apple say that Japan has new map data? I just hope that Apple will not start releasing countries with third-party data by saying new map data...

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Belgium, Israel, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Palestinian territories, Saudi Arabia and Switzerland are getting new maps later this year, in addition to France, Monaco and New Zealand, which are currently being tested. That brings us to 11 countries/regions/territories that are still to get publicly released before the end of the year. I find it interesting that Apple mentioned Saudi Arabia which it hasn’t officially started surveying according to the Image Collection page. Maybe Apple does something similar to what it did with Japan and starts using third party data providers in a way that results in a map that looks similar to Apple’s own map.

I agree with you. I am disappointed that no European cities have received the detailed city experience.

Reactions: michelmike
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.