Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the most reliable map app?

• Apple maps

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • Google maps

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • I can't split the two

Votes: 10 10.3%

• Total voters

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Compare iOS 10 and on versions

I think they're both reliable. Google maps is constantly being updated with newer construction, roadmaps and landmarks and is excellent.

However, Apple Maps has come along way and it's not the same it was years ago. I Actually use Apple Maps more than I do Google maps. But they both have their advantages and sometimes I think it's dependent on your geographic location of what you use for preference. Because not everybody will have the same results based on what they use for Maps.

Reactions: Galacticos

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
I think they're both reliable. Google maps is constantly being updated with newer construction, roadmaps and landmarks and is excellent.

However, Apple Maps has come along way and it's not the same it was years ago. I Actually use Apple Maps more than I do Google maps. But they both have their advantages and sometimes I think it's dependent on your geographic location of what you use for preference. Because not everybody will have the same results based on what they use for Maps.

Thanks. I've only used google but would switch to Apple if they're roughly the same to avoid googles appetite for data.

Have you found apples time estimation to be better/worse/the same?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks. I've only used google but would switch to Apple if they're roughly the same to avoid googles appetite for data.

I find Apples estimation/arrival time to be highly accurate. Sometimes it's dependent on construction and traffic, but ultimately, I have zero issues with it when comparison to Google maps.

Eric Heiden

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2017
Austin
I sometimes go business trip to Hongkong I don't use apple map... doesn't show more details

seems doesn't update transport.. It has been about a year that a line has extended but... can't find...

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Apple Maps is only good for me because of the Apple Watch integration while driving with CarPlay. It's wonderful.

Otherwise I use Waze on CarPlay (jailbroken). Waze >> Google Maps >>> Apple Maps in terms of UK navigation and updated traffic.

Reactions: jeremiah256

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012

Why don't you test yourself and make up your own opinion

Reactions: ABC5S

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
While I still feel that Google Maps is more accurate, I still use Apple Maps when I need to navigate somewhere. Unless Apple Maps gets me totally lost (which I haven't experienced since iOS 8 or 9), then I defer to Google Maps.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
OP, another option to vote for, please?

Google Maps for POIs, Apple Maps is getting better with POIs.
Google Maps for address navigation, Apple Maps is getting better address navigation (many of the addresses I would pass on to clients were up to 3000 ft off but this has become more accurate in the past several weeks).
Google Maps - by a long measure (pun intended) for aerial imagery, Apple is generally several years out of date here.
Bing Maps (desktop only for now) for street views.

FWIW, TomTom isn't a major source for base mapping in NA that I have found and confirmed. In Apple Maps I see the same base map errors in Mapquest (Verizon>AOL>Mapquest, which uses OpenStreetMaps as a supplementary base) in the form of improperly-placed roadways, location/POI misspellings (find "Puget Island" and you'll see "Pugget Island", and I've found hundreds of other similar errors that have been uncorrected; I work with GIS and land development agency staff for a living…).

IMHO both Google and Apple have miscalculated, significantly, in expecting to be able to fully automate a means of visually presenting land/POI/roadway/milestone data - it isn't going to happen anytime soon. In almost 30 years of civil engineering, working with township/city/county/state/federal survey and GIS agencies I believe there is no uniform means to parse and process property data - one highway that I have a project on is currently called "State Route 4", "SR 4" (there's both "E SR 4"/"East State Route 4"/"E. State Route 4" (with a period) and "W SR 4"/"West State Route 4"/"W. State Route 4" (again, with a period) depending on which side of the county seat you're on), "WA 4", "Lewis and Clark Trail Highway" (which is what Apple calls it - and nobody else does) - then, there's what the USPS calls that stretch of highway.

I just call ahead and get directions, and refer to my good ol' (hardcopy) Thomas Guide and check the 511 websites of the states I'm traveling in before I leave. And, here in the US I wish Apple would tie into INRIX for traffic data.

Happy traveling!

Reactions: xoAnna

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
For driving, I'd say they are probably equally reliable in most areas of the country. Not sure about internationally.

But many of my "trips" are by bicycle or walking. Google has a vastly superior treatment of hiking trails, bike paths, etc. and easy option to map out routes with these modes with accurate travel times. So I always use Google Maps when not driving.

As others have pointed out, Google is also better with POIs. Easier to find restaurants, shopping, etc.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I would think this would depend where in the world or the US or other countries you are using the maps for.
For the person who commented about on desktop - if you run MAC OSX device Apple maps are available.

TouchedByAl

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Salt Lake City
I use google for street view but I've been using Apple Maps alot more since ios 10. I like the look of it and the fact that you can use it on your lock screen. Apple Maps used to be terrible and I avoided it like the plague for the longest time but I've generally found that it's improved alot over the years. I like how fast Apple has been at getting back to me when I upload new stores/landmarks that were missing. I usually get feedback that it's been updated in Apple Maps in less then 24 hours. I want Apple to be able to offer a competitive service and hopefully someday they will be on par with Google. The only thing I notice with Apple Maps is traffic data isn't as precise as google. I know with Google if it says its going to take me 10 minutes to get somewhere I will get there in 10 minutes but Apple? Might be closer to 13 minutes.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Tried Waze but i don't understand the UI lol too much going on.

Went back to Google Maps which works great here for public transport

If you need an app that has solid public transport directions, Waze will be in last place compared to Google Maps and Apple Maps.

Waze is meant for drivers, not for people using public transport. Even then, an app that solely focuses on public transport such as Citymapper is way better than GMaps and AMaps.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
The only things Apple Maps is missing on my device and region are transport arrival times and lockscreen navigation for Transit. Google Maps does the arrival times really poorly and has no lockscreen navigation, so I can't really pinpoint which is better.
With that said though, I'd still use Apple Maps because of privacy and because of the fact that it integrates well with the OS ecosystem.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
... I'd still use Apple Maps because of privacy and because of the fact that it integrates well with the OS ecosystem.

This is why I'd like to use Apple maps.. but it still seems inferior to google maps

Reactions: macrlz9

MainStream

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2010
For me Google Maps is just "right" more often than Apple Maps. Points of Interest seem to be more comprehensive on Google Maps. Also like the fact that from Google Maps desktop I can send directions to either my phone or car.

Reactions: Galacticos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.