Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the most reliable map app?

• Apple maps

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • Google maps

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • I can't split the two

Votes: 10 10.3%

• Total voters

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
I want to use Apple Maps but it's simply not reliable. And the worst thing is I'm in Southern California Orange County where it should be perfect since there are a large amount of users.

Here's an example: This is a text I got from my friend.

Let's eat at Garlic & Chive restaurant tomorrow at noon
Address 9892 Westminster #311
Westminster CA 93683
714 5915196
See you

Try plugging this address into both Apple Maps and Google Maps. Apple gets it wrong by quite a bit. Stupid thing is they have the restaurant listed at the correct place but apparently their street numbers are way off.

Last edited:

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Every time I give Apple Maps a chance, it lets me down.

Google Maps is the clear winner.
[doublepost=1496496683][/doublepost]
I want to use Apple Maps but it's simply not reliable. And the worst thing is I'm in Southern California Orange County where it should be perfect since there are a large amount of users.

Here's an example: This is a text I got from my friend.

Let's eat at Garlic & Chive restaurant tomorrow at noon
Address 9892 Westminster #311
Westminster CA 93683
714 5915196
See you

Try plugging this address into both Apple Maps and Google Maps. Apple gets it wrong by quite a bit. Stupid thing is they have the restaurant listed at the correct place but apparently their street numbers are way off.
My experience as well. Apple Maps is years behind.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Google Maps for the win.
Offline option, can set PoI in every place you want and it will get it's address not like in Apple Maps where it resets address to street name (well done...).

Apple is useless when I jailbroken and tweaked to open Google Maps by iOS by default...

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
That is definitely a pretty useful feature.

Especially if your in the UK where the road markings seem to be done by Stevie Wonder. I have google maps in my car and I'd hate to go back to have to use something that didn't show what lane to be in when coming up to say a large roundabout with loads of roads off it.

Reactions: xoAnna

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Google Maps gives you lane guidance, Apple Maps doesn't. This makes a huge difference.

Especially if your in the UK where the road markings seem to be done by Stevie Wonder. I have google maps in my car and I'd hate to go back to have to use something that didn't show what lane to be in when coming up to say a large roundabout with loads of roads off it.
Looks like it's coming to Apple Maps in iOS 11.

Reactions: Will22

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I installed iOS 11B1 today on my iP6S+ and iPP 12, and hit the road for a meeting in the morning.

Lane guidance - fixed. Newer aerials - addressed. Updated POIs - addressed. "One finger" zooming - it's there now. Accurate "mark my location" with GPS coordinates - it's there now and it works.

This, coming from a person with over 25 years of surveying/GIS experience. It's about frickin' time. iOS 11's solution appears IMO a huge improvement over pretty much anything Apple has served up so far; I compared my iP6S+ and 12-inch iPP with iOS 11B1 to my Air 2 and 6S on 10.3.2 - Apple's new data isn't showing up on 10.3 so far. iOS 11 is showing current aerial imagery and POIs that I would expect today, but I'll take what I can get.

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Google Maps ... because of the more detailed upcoming directions like what lane to stay in. Apple has apparently fixed this issue in iOS 11 though, so we'll see.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Newer aerials and POIs are showing up on my iOS 10 iP6S iOS Maps app now too…

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Tried Waze but i don't understand the UI lol too much going on.

You can tweak its settings and remove stuff you do not need/use. For driving, Waze still has the most up-to-date maps & traffic conditions & I have tested all three of them (Apple Maps, Google Maps & Waze). Will be curious to see how AM work once iOS 11 is out of beta.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Google Maps gives you lane guidance, Apple Maps doesn't. This makes a huge difference.
I wonder has your opinion changed since iOS 11 now has lane guidance. Yes, I know most haven't tried iOS 11 yet since it's still in beta. Lol.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I thought so as well. You’re welcome.

I'm a geographer and cartographer (among other things) myself, but even so I was shocked at the amount of effort and depth in his analysis. I really liked his clear and simple writing style also.

He communicated the art and challenges of cartography perfectly.

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
I wonder has your opinion changed since iOS 11 now has lane guidance. Yes, I know most haven't tried iOS 11 yet since it's still in beta. Lol.

Yes, it makes me excited Apple Maps will finally have lane guidance! My final request would be that for Australia, we would get more detail on the maps and more POIs, because half the time we can't find a place that can easily be found on Google Maps, or see all the details of a major University for example, whereas Google Maps would have all of that.

They are catching up, just wish it was a bit quicker! Prefer using Apple Maps just because of the guidance it gives me on the Watch at the same time with its Taptic feedback

Reactions: nfl46

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
I wanted to switch to an iPhone from being an Android user but I just could not live with Apple Maps in my car vs. Google Maps (Carplay being only Apple Maps) I tried a few times for example to find the nearest Starbucks and it would tell me the closest one was miles away while a Starbucks was ON THE MAP! This was testing out on iOS 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.