Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksj1

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2018
One of the main reasons I've not switched to Apple Music is the fact that, with Spotify, both me and my wife can sign into / share one account so only pay one subscription. You can't both listen at the same time but that hasn't ever been an issue. I use it for my commute... when I'm at work she uses it at home... we listen together.

Is this something you can do with Apple Music?
Yes you can, and it does not require a different subscription as others have stated.

How to share apps and purchases with your family

paulovsouza

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2012
I think Apples privacy priorities is a downside to music catered to the user. I’m hoping they’re releasing on device AI, that uses my listening habits and creates the best playlist.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
I don't use either one; I prefer Qobuz or Tidal, mainly because of their integration with Roon. Roon allows you to very easily integrate your home library with streaming. Last time I tried Apple Music, there was no way to properly do this without uploading your entire home library to the cloud, which is an absolute no-go for me.

I'd consider Spotify if they ever get a lossless tier, but they've been promising that for a long time and still haven't delivered.

I'd consider Apple Music if they dropped the "cloud" requirement for your home library, offered the Classical app for macOS, and improved the UI from being a clunky, legacy iTunes design. Also, as far as I know, Apple Music won't properly switch the bitrate of your DAC without it being manually done.

• Disagree
Reactions: dominiongamma

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
I had Apple Music and was content with it but eventually switched to Spotify for the better playlist recommendations and the fact that my family was getting a really annoying bug with the Apple Music app on one of my Apple TVs of all things where the app would hang and you couldn’t control music without hard closing the app and reopening. My daughter also had an issue where whenever she went to search in the app on said ATV it would freeze the app too.

After a few months on Spotify, I was going to go back to Apple Music but was shocked to see that Apple deletes your custom playlists after only a month or two of being unsubscribed - it’s like they don’t want me to come back!

I now refuse to go back to Apple Music where it feels like my library is being held hostage by a monthly fee and if I ever want a short break I’m at risk of losing it all again. Spotify will happily keep my playlists/library/favorites even after years of inactivity.

I really don’t understand their rationale here as it just leaves a barrier to resubscribing.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well one is free and full of adverts or you can simply pay for a good experience. I'm sure the majority of people are on the free tier of Spotify.

Reactions: P-DogNC

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
I prefer Apple Music, mainly due to the fact I still use my local library of music. With stuff I own, it’s nice to have lossless versions of my MP3s without having to store them. Wish I could share my local library, but I get why they wouldn’t allow it. I did use Spotify when it debuted, but I dropped it after iTunes Match was announced and never looked back. If I couldn’t use Apple Music, I’d switch to Plex and Tidal, the former allows me to store any file quality I want and Tidal integrates with the service too.

Plex does stream to HomePods via AirPlay. Don’t use Siri since it isn’t quite that reliable. To each their own, if you like Spotify, then enjoy it. I still prefer to buy CDs and vinyl.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I think with Apple Music, if your taste is very mainstream and you like genre radio stations with DJs - Apple Music is great.

But if you don't and have eclectic tastes, Apple's recommendation engine and curated playlists are simply not as good as Spotify's.
Exactly this. If you only want to listen to music you have chosen/searched for OR you like the playlists on the mainstream radio stations (e.g. Radio 1 in the UK), then Apple Music will be fine for you and may een be better thanks to lossless/hires/spacial.

If you are at all interested in discovering new music, then it has to be Spotify.

I haven't seen many comments about Pandora - whilst that worked in the UK (about 15 years ago) that was my go-to to discover new music thanks to its integration with the music genome project. Is that still a good discovery service?

Valinor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
I was a diehard Spotify user but Spotify annoyed me to the point I wont ever buy a subscription from them again. Wanted to cancel my subscription for a few months, the final month every time I opened the app while listening to music a "your subscription is expiring" popup came up.
And I mean like EVERY SINGLE TIME. Couldnt even change songs without the popup....
And no it wasnt a bug, was like that for months, lots of people complaining online.
Ended up not even using Spotify that month while still having to pay for it.
So Apple for the win, never going back.

Reactions: progx

billyknapper

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2024
Nantwich, UK
Yes you can, and it does not require a different subscription as others have stated.

Is this only if you sign up for the 16.99 family plan (includes up to 6 people)?

Great value if you have a busy house that all want to listen at the same time but we're happy sharing an individual Spotify account between 2 and saving the extra cost. Spotify do also have the option of a 'duo' plan (14.99).

Reactions: one more

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Apple Music for me (or even Amazon Music which we also used). I have some old and/or niche stuff synced to both - through iTunes Match and through Amazon's normal setup. It's not available through their "normal" library. Spotify can't do that.

Reactions: SpanishAppleNerd

SpanishAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2023
Badajoz
I am trying Apple Music again on their free trial and it is astonishing how terrible it is. There’s small hiccups in the audio playback quite often (as in every third song), hard to find anything to listen to unless I search for every song myself and manually add it to a playlist, lacking the big library of original live sessions that Spotify has, no direct to device streaming like Spotify Connect.

Honestly it feels like a beta and many many years behind Spotify as a music streaming service, I won’t continue paying for it after the free trial and delete the app and use Spotify again instead.

Apple’s services really feel like a compromise these days, Music is the same as Maps, sure it technically does what it says it will but it does it substantially worse than the competition did it 10 years ago.
I agree with the hiccups, it's been happening to me for a few months. On a personal note, the thing that made me go with Apple Music even before owning any Apple device was to hear the Spotify boss saying that his company was not going to pay the artist more .

topp3

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2013
Denmark

Apple Music and Spotify overwhelmingly dominate the music streaming space, but the two services offer surprisingly different experiences despite their competitive pricing, so which is best?

Apple-Music-vs-Spotify-Feature-1.jpg

While Spotify has been around for longer than Apple Music, both services are now very widely adopted. Apple Music and Spotify have similar libraries with over 100 million songs, with features like personalized playlists, live lyrics, collaboration, crossfade, and SharePlay support, making it all the more difficult to choose between them. Read on for a detailed comparison to help you choose the music streaming service that's best for you.

Apple MusicSpotify
Advanced library management, allowing users to curate a collection of music with a wide range of sorting optionsNo "library;" add songs to a playlist of liked tracks instead
Basic music discovery algorithmAdvanced music discovery algorithm
Limited personalization comprising "New Music Mix," "Get Up Mix," "Chill Mix," and a personal radio stationPersonalized mixes including "Release Radar," "Discover Weekly," and "Tastebreakers," in addition to thousands of algorithmic playlists that are tailored to the user
Emphasis on human-curated playlists, with limited use of algorithmic playlistsEmphasis on advanced algorithmic playlists
Occasionally offers exclusive releases from major artists
Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos for a virtual surround sound experience with supported songs
Lossless Audio up to 24-bit/192 kHz
Apple Digital Masters specification
Apple Music 1, Apple Music Hits, and Apple Music Country radio with live DJs, interviews, specials and show archive
In-app music videos
In-app podcasts and audiobooks
Apple Music Classical app based on Primephonic
Apple Music Sing karaoke experience
Limited social sharing optionsComprehensive social sharing options, such as the ability to see what friends are listening to in real-time
Apple Music Replay year-long retrospective experience with limited social media supportSpotify Wrapped end-of-year retrospective experience with better social media support
Closely integrated with the Apple ecosystem, including Apple TV, HomePod, Vision Pro, Siri, and Apple Fitness+
Available on all Apple devices and Android, as well as some games consoles and TVsAvailable across a wide range of devices, including non-Apple ones, but no support for Apple TV and Vision Pro
Known for user-friendly, cross-platform design
Ability to control Spotify on one device from another
Integration with existing iTunes libraries, allowing users to merge a personal music collection with the streaming library and upload and stream tracks that aren't in the Apple Music libraryAbility to play local audio files
Listen to Apple Music 1, Apple Music Hits, or Apple Music Country for freeFull library access and shuffled playlists with ads for free
Individual subscription: $10.99/month
Student subscription: $5.99/month
Family subscription: $16.99/month
Individual subscription: $10.99/month
Student subscription: $5.99/month
"Duo" household subscription: $14.99/month
Family subscription: $16.99/month
Included in all Apple One subscription bundle tiers

Both Apple Music and Spotify boast extensive music libraries, sophisticated personalization features, and comparable subscription models, but the nuances of their offerings cater to slightly different audiences. When choosing between the services, you should decide which of the two following groups you fall into.

Apple Music touts a seamless and feature-rich listening experience for Apple device users, offering particular advantages to those who are heavily embedded in Apple's ecosystem. The service is particularly appealing to audiophiles and those invested in high-quality audio, thanks to features like Lossless Audio and Spatial Audio. Apple Music's exclusive content, such as live radio shows and the Apple Music Classical app, provides unique value to those seeking more than just a vast music library. Apple Music is the preferred choice for users who appreciate the convenience of Siri integration, conventional library management, the ability to merge their own music library with the streaming service, and who are possibly already subscribed to other Apple services, making the Apple One bundle an attractive proposition.

Spotify, on the other hand, excels in music discovery and social sharing. Its sophisticated algorithms that power features like Discover Weekly and Release Radar are unmatched for surfacing new music tailored to the listener's tastes. Spotify's cross-platform design and compatibility with a wide range of devices make it a versatile option for users with a diverse range of hardware. The service's superior social features, such as the ability to see what friends are listening to in real-time, enrich the music discovery process. Spotify is the go-to choice for users who value these social and discovery aspects highly, as well as those who appreciate the option of a free, ad-supported tier.

Which music streaming service do you prefer and why? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Apple Music vs. Spotify Buyer's Guide
Generall, I like Apples approach of easiness and Quality but when it comes music streaming Spotify provides the very best user experience with one exception, the sound quality. If/when Spotify releases lossless or similar quality, there is no reasons for me to choose Apple Music, Tidal or any other music streaming services. When I listen to music at work, in my car Spotify is fine, but at home I often consider to change to Tidal or Apple Music as the sound quality is not too impressive. Normally I switch to streaming from my NAS. For me the best would be too add Spotify‘s user interface with Apple music to get the best of both.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Apple Music’s way of managing favourites is definitely hit or miss, starred artists or songs somehow don’t always show up in the library, which makes lists unreliable. It seems to have improved in the past year, but I’m still seeing discrepancies all over.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

Yes, except the OP was talking about sharing an individual Spotify plan with his wife by using the same Spotify login. This won’t work with Apple. You can opt in for a Family plan with AM, adding up to five other people with their Apple IDs, but this is more expensive.

Reactions: arkitect

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I was a diehard Spotify user but Spotify annoyed me to the point I wont ever buy a subscription from them again. Wanted to cancel my subscription for a few months, the final month every time I opened the app while listening to music a "your subscription is expiring" popup came up.
And I mean like EVERY SINGLE TIME. Couldnt even change songs without the popup....
And no it wasnt a bug, was like that for months, lots of people complaining online.
Ended up not even using Spotify that month while still having to pay for it.
So Apple for the win, never going back.

This is a strange behaviour. I had no difficulty cancelling my family Spotify subscription, which stopped at the end of the period it was paid for.

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
Have yet to try Apple Music after a massive chunk of my music collection was lost somehow when unsubscribing from Apple Match in iTunes. I still have my CDs, but have little motivation to spend countless hours transferring them once again to a HD. When Spotify launched good portion of my music was available to stream, there was little reason to switch to Apple Music.

• Love

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
I am trying Apple Music again on their free trial and it is astonishing how terrible it is. There’s small hiccups in the audio playback quite often (as in every third song), hard to find anything to listen to unless I search for every song myself and manually add it to a playlist, lacking the big library of original live sessions that Spotify has, no direct to device streaming like Spotify Connect.

Honestly it feels like a beta and many many years behind Spotify as a music streaming service, I won’t continue paying for it after the free trial and delete the app and use Spotify again instead.

Apple’s services really feel like a compromise these days, Music is the same as Maps, sure it technically does what it says it will but it does it substantially worse than the competition did it 10 years ago.
Is it possible you are having network issues. 4 me, AM works fine with Wired and Wireless CarPlay, on my ATV, iPad, and iPhone.
Are you having any other issues?

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
I tried Spotify some time ago and rejected it for many reasons:

1. The major reason for me was that you could not purchase tracks from within Spotify. I am one of those odd people that want to own the music I like and I do not trust rent only systems to not remove my favorite tracks and to lose them if I decide I do not want to pay the subscription. I have 10K+ CDs which are all stored in my library and new stuff I either purchase from the Apple Store or buy the CD. In Apple Music you can simply right click and choose Store option to purchase most tracks or albums (albeit in compressed form, the lossless versions cannot be purchased or so it appears). There are some odd exceptions but they can usually be found by doing a search in the store.
2. Apple Music allows me to manage my personal/purchased and uploaded CDs along with Apple Music selections in a single app with mixed playlists of purchased, uploaded and Apple Music or rented selections.
3. Latterly the high quality lossless options in Apple Music which provide somewhat better quality playback over decent equipment. However these versions do not seemed to be available to purchase and you can only purchase the AAC compressed form. If I need better versions I buy the CD (or purchase and download from other high quality music sources), but AAC is not bad for casual listening.
4. I found the new discoveries in Apple Music to be exactly inline with my tastes with suggestions being quite accurate.
5. Spotify seemed to struggle with the music I like and produced some of the worst suggestions I had heard. However Apple Music has the advantage of having access to my personal uploaded music and thus had a better start. I suspect that Spotify would have required me to teach it for many months before it understood my tastes.
6. I have a mix of Sonos and Apple HomePods. Apple Music works on all systems whereas Spotify can only work with the Sonos speakers. Plus I have a very high quality listening system (Krell/Cambridge Audio/Martin Logans) which works perfectly with Apple Music and not with Spotify.
7. Spotify has intrusive self promotions especially in the Windows app. Constantly reminding me to try new tracks and artists which I found intrusive. I want my music management app to stay in the background.

Apple Music has some annoying traits, the most irritating of which is related to the way it keeps adding substitutes for tracks. Identically named tracks but different performances or mixes seem to cause it major issues. I end up uploading the version I like and removing the one it substitutes. It also tends not to upload to iCloud any track it thinks it already has in the library which can be completely incorrect because they are different performances (by the same artist) of the same track and are not equivalent. I currently have around 1000 tracks which I have to force it to upload otherwise they will not be available on all devices. But I digress.

Bottom line is that Spotify for me is an inferior solution designed for people that do not care to own their music and are happy to loose everything if they suddenly stop paying the subscription. Apple Music gives me a choice of how I store, manage and own my music with higher quality playback options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.