Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xtir

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2021
It never fails to amuse me when insignificant countries think they have the clout to threaten someone.

Apple’s revenue from the Netherlands is less than a rounding error.

I say it’s time some of these tiny places start being reminded of their place.
All bark.. it's not a case of "threaten" but independent law where a judge decides what is legal, not apple. It's not a children's playground where the deplorable tries to bully the 'insignificant'.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
What is the reason this applies only to dating apps?

And if it is said that the users date movies and books, can Kindle and Netflix also take advantage of this?

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn and wbeasley

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Yes, I think 30% was a tad too high. Apple's position on that is that it's a "standard retail markup", but that's in the brick-and-mortar marketplace, not the digital marketplace. Two totally different marketplaces.
30% has been the standard commission in the digital app marketplace. Developers used to pay a lot more than 30% to distribute software in physical stores — the barrier to entry was much higher.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
1.) Why ONLY Dating / Hook-Up apps ?

2.) For the sake of argument, let's assume Apple follows Google's lead, & sets their cut @ 11% for transactions outside the App Store.

What happens then ?

Reactions: AppliedMicro

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
What I don’t understand is how everyone assumes that Apple can do no wrong with handling purchases. Aren’t they also just using a merchant for processing payments at the end of the day?

if a purchase is made on my card I get an app notification instantly and can decline the payment with the tab of a button. No problem with 3rd parties whatsoever

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
I say pull out of the Netherlands or do not sell the dating apps in the Netherlands. Throw up a nice disclaimer alerting the users that they cannot use those Apps because of their government. Apple has obligation to anyone and can run their store as they see fit.

I see these developer's as greedy. They were happy to pay the $99 in order to publish an App and were happy with Apple's skim for hosting the app and payment system for them until they decided they wanted all of the money.

Another alternative is charging per download/update for those not using the App Store for payments. If you want to use a toll road you have to pay. Welcome to world of wanting something for nothing.
That would 100% backfire. When a foreign national company/person/government attacks someone's government, human nature is that the people of the attacked government get their backs up and get super mega pissed off at the foreign company. The more likely result would be Dutch people abandoning Apple and buying Androids.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
Personally I'm just shocked that Europeans still date. I mean they have so many liberals over there in the government that outdated concept should've been outlawed long ago.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
What I don’t understand is how everyone assumes that Apple can do no wrong with handling purchases. Aren’t they also just using a merchant for processing payments at the end of the day?

if a purchase is made on my card I get an app notification instantly and can decline the payment with the tab of a button. No problem with 3rd parties whatsoever

Apps in the App Store are vetted to meet standards.

It’s hilarious to think that dating apps, of all things, should be able to circumvent this.

CthuluLemon

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2020
apple should just lower the cut to 15% for every developer. 30 is too high.
It’s a good idea, but Tim Cook doesn’t know how to make money any other way. He doesn’t have the talent or skill to successfully market a new product, he’s just been charging fees and repackaging services launched during Jobs’ tenure.

Apple isn’t going to risk its 80% profit just to be fair.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I think they do, it's the concept "with marketpower also comes responsibility"
apple takes, never gives, but raises taxes while evading it themselves, apple is restricting other developers and with that hindering innovation. apple is supporting totalitarian regimes, fights free elected governments and disputes local independent law where they shouldn't.

They are free to leave though..
Yeah, they are free to leave any market at their own dissection and no government body can restrict that.

Also it just seems that the whole concept of “power comes with responsibility” is completely gone when you are rich enough. Wonder how that goes.

While I have no stance on what Dutch government is doing here, I do love government starting to ask Apple do stuff. At some point Apple will be forced to pull out of markets they can’t deal with, but so far no market pull out happening yet outside of US sanctions etc.

Reactions: Xtir

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Could Apple take a book out of the Epic lawsuit and rule that apps using alternative payments are still liable to pay Apple a percentage of their revenue?

After all, we know that the only real reason why app developers want to use third party payments is to get out of paying Apple 30%, even if they don’t quite say that out loud. This would make for an interesting Pyrrhic victory for these companies - give them the flexibility of using other payment options, but without the convenience or the savings.

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I now some may feel tired of this already. But I will help to post the voice of Macrumors Apple supporters here to save them their time to type during their Christmas Dinner.

Just pull out of the Netherland market. It is Apple's devices, Apple's Platform, Apple's Software, And Apple's customers. Everything belongs to Apple. Start a new Smartphone company if you want. Or go to Android.

And for those who are not keeping up, that is pulling out of Netherlands, UK, Germany, Italy, Denmark, France, Spain, ( Practically the most of Western EUR ), Australia, Russia, Japan, South Korea.

Still as of today, I have yet to see anyone suggesting Apple should pull out of US due to its Anti-Trust issues. No mention of India yet despite similar Anti-Trust / regulation issues. ( MacRumor's Apple supporters doesn't care about India I guess ) Apple doesn't have Anti-Trust issues in China either, after all they are investing $280B dollars in their supply chains.

Thanks for your kind attempt to bundle the usual folks together to save space on the internet and cut down non the noise.

Reactions: Lihp8270

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It never fails to amuse me when insignificant countries think they have the clout to threaten someone.

Apple’s revenue from the Netherlands is less than a rounding error.

I say it’s time some of these tiny places start being reminded of their place.

If they were insignificant to Apple then Apple wouldn’t make business there. Having seen the sheer size just of their flagship stores over there, I guess Apple opinion on the significance of the Dutch market differs from yours.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I now some may feel tired of this already. But I will help to post the voice of Macrumors Apple supporters here to save them their time to type during their Christmas Dinner.

Just pull out of the Netherland market. It is Apple's devices, Apple's Platform, Apple's Software, And Apple's customers. Everything belongs to Apple. Start a new Smartphone company if you want. Or go to Android.

And for those who are not keeping up, that is pulling out of Netherlands, UK, Germany, Italy, Denmark, France, Spain, ( Practically the most of Western EUR ), Australia, Russia, Japan, South Korea.

Still as of today, I have yet to see anyone suggesting Apple should pull out of US due to its Anti-Trust issues. No mention of India yet despite similar Anti-Trust / regulation issues. ( MacRumor's Apple supporters doesn't care about India I guess ) Apple doesn't have Anti-Trust issues in China either, after all they are investing $280B dollars in their supply chains.
Now that you mention it, I wonder which market apple should stick to after all these regulation shenanigans. Nobody mention US because it’s supposed to be their home market, but still.

Anyways, can’t wait to see which market Apple will pull first in the coming years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.