Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Meh. I charge my phone twice a day and have never, ever had a phone that lasts a full day & evening of heavy use so the last thing I want to do is willingly cripple my battery.

I don't understand the drain to 50% and charge to 80% guys. Life's too short to baby a battery like that but sadly these phone manufacturers cause anxiety and OCD with their built-in batteries.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Just like the Ultra where you can set to only charge to 80% and not 100% unless you wish.

I only use about 20-30% of my battery everyday and do not need my battery pushed to 100% every day.
Agree. That option would be nice to keep the battery healthy, even if it's buried under some settings. Samsung has the option to stop charging at 85%.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Is anybody’s Ultra self-limiting to 80% yet?

Mine arrived on launch day. I think I’ve only charged it to 100% a single time. I charge once per day, when I shower; I don’t think it’s ever been below 25% (with 40%-ish typical), and it’s generally between 80% and 95% when I put it back on.

But it still wants to charge to 100%.

By any reasonable statistical measure, it should know damn well by now that an 80% limit is perfectly fine.

Are Apple programmers just that paranoid? Or am I missing something? Or … ?

b&

Reactions: foliovision

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Just like the Ultra where you can set to only charge to 80% and not 100% unless you wish.
Optimized charging seems a bit pointless on a watch unless Apple’s market research has concluded the Ultra will be even more special use case only (e.g., just while hiking) than other models of the Watch.

I only use about 20-30% of my battery everyday and do not need my battery pushed to 100% every day.
The battery should be fine. The remaining charge level may become a little inaccurate if you never use the watch to auto power-off. Otherwise, simply working the battery should prevent premature aging. Only weeks or more of sitting at a consistently very high or very low charge level can cause damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lcgiv

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012

Just build a Shortcut and use e.g. an ikea Smart Outlet for 12€. When it reaches 80%, it switches off and it turns on below 60%. Done.

Reactions: lmlphx

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
That would cause so much confusion to the general population.

I don’t get this obsession over micromanaging the battery. The optimized charging feature will manage it for you. Don’t try to outsmart it.
In general I don't think you're wrong.
However I do think it would be nice if Apple included more granular control over Optimized Charging. The biggest problem(s) Optimized Charging has is it just flat out doesn't work well if you keep an inconsistent schedule (which is also what it looks like to the device if you try and micromanage the process FYI.)
When turned on it can often require micromanagement to make sure you do have a full charge when you actually need it and conversely that your devices aren't charging to full when its completely unnecessary.

That said, I also agree that there are way too many people who think that just because they read something on the internet about how lithium ion batteries work, they're now smarter than Apple's engineers.

brooksbrewer

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018
Kansas City, MO
Is anybody’s Ultra self-limiting to 80% yet?

Mine arrived on launch day. I think I’ve only charged it to 100% a single time. I charge once per day, when I shower; I don’t think it’s ever been below 25% (with 40%-ish typical), and it’s generally between 80% and 95% when I put it back on.

But it still wants to charge to 100%.

By any reasonable statistical measure, it should know damn well by now that an 80% limit is perfectly fine.

Are Apple programmers just that paranoid? Or am I missing something? Or … ?

b&
I believe the feature will be coming later and isn’t fully enabled yet. I’m on the 6.1 Beta and have it, so I imagine it’ll be coming soon.

Jack_SB

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2020
I really don’t get the point behind micromanaging and willingly using half of the battery capacity.

So let’s say that we charge up to 80% and use it until 20%. You are using 60% of the capacity with a brand new phone.

1. The battery is still aging
2. You are already using only 60% of the battery, that is equivalent to a 5-6 year old phone
3. Since the battery ages anyway, the “60%” that you are using is going to be less actual use time every month/year

I can write much more, but there’s no point. Batteries are consumable parts and cost 100 to replace every 2-3 years if you want peak performance.
And if you are fine with 60% of the original capacity to begin with, why bother? The battery will reach that point after 5-6 years anyway, but at least you enjoyed 100-90-80% for quite a few years.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I really don’t get the point behind micromanaging and willingly using half of the battery capacity.

So let’s say that we charge up to 80% and use it until 20%. You are using 60% of the capacity with a brand new phone.

1. The battery is still aging
2. You are already using only 60% of the battery, that is equivalent to a 5-6 year old phone
3. Since the battery ages anyway, the “60%” that you are using is going to be less actual use time every month/year

I can write much more, but there’s no point. Batteries are consumable parts and cost 100 to replace every 2-3 years if you want peak performance.
And if you are fine with 60% of the original capacity to begin with, why bother? The battery will reach that point after 5-6 years anyway, but at least you enjoyed 100-90-80% for quite a few years.
I think the problem is more about leaving the phone charged at 100% for a prolonged period of time. Many people simply charge their phones overnight, so the theory is that if one knows that one won't be using a lot of the battery through the day, it might be better in prolonging the battery health by having an option to charge only up to 80%.

I believe the use of a smart socket to schedule turning off charging at preset percentage is also a good option. I'm just glad Samsung has built in that function in my S21 if I wanted to do something like that 😁

Reactions: KO7 and BigMcGuire

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It's an actual option to stop charging and not Optimise charging? Has anyone pics of this option on their Ultra's?
I think Apple called it Optimized charge limit, which put an actual limit alongside the optimized charge feature. It puts an actual hard stop at 80% while giving you the option to override it when needed. At least that's how I understand it from Apple's website. According to Apple, it might top up to 100% based on your pattern

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
One workaround is to use a power bank that shuts off when iPhone does not draw charge current any more.
So it shuts off i.e. in the middle of the night because iPhone learnt that you usually use it in the morning. It would "like" to charge from 80 to 100% an hour or two before you get up, but cannot because power bank shut down.
(I have such a bank that needs to re-enable the USB charger output ports with a button press).

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Meh, just use your phones, people. I charged my 13PM whenever I needed, using magsafe 99% of the time, used the phone for a whole year and the battery health was at 100% at the end of that year.

Babying your battery to save it from degrading, by using less of the battery, means you're living as if the battery has already degraded. If you're using 80% of the battery, then you're manufacturing a scenario in which your phone behaves like it is at 80% battery health.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.