Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
I give the “general population” more credit and think they would like choice!

‘The “optimized charging“ feature still force charges my phone to 100% when it is not needed. I have read from multiple places that charging your battery to 100% is not optimal to battery health.

Fully agree, and I also fully understand others good points they’re making on this subject. If I was out and not around a charger all day I would do it differently. But I’m retired and home most of the time.

My OCD being what it is but for whatever reason it bothers me seeing my phone battery percentage drop. I realize that’s nuts but it’s just the way I feel. So to combat that I top it off a number of times during the day which feels better to me. But I wouldn’t constantly top it off to 100% so I go to 80. A fellow I know does the same thing but has his phone constantly at 100%. I know too much about batteries to do that.

Bottom line, I understand not everyone is compulsive or crazy with their phones and will not remotely relate to any of this. My wife could care less about any of this except that her’s works. But I am and from what I can see I’m not alone.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Didn't realise people paid that much attention to their batteries like this. I upgrade every year though so don't really care about my battery health.
They don't. The general population couldn't care less. I'm sure 99% of people leave their phone on a charger all night, every night, including myself. I've never had battery issues aside from natural degradation (over years).

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I give the “general population” more credit and think they would like choice!

‘The “optimized charging“ feature still force charges my phone to 100% when it is not needed. I have read from multiple places that charging your battery to 100% is not optimal to battery health.
Nothing is optimal to battery life. They're a cheap $10 part that ages whether sat on the shelf or being used. You can baby them and slightly increase their longevity but like has been said more than once in this thread, you are making your battery act like a 5 year old shot-to-pieces component if you follow these silly charging constraints.

If you can put up with it acting heavily worn out of the box then why not enjoy your battery functioning normally for a couple of years beforehand by just charging & discharging it without a care in the world? By using your phone freely and normally the battery will never get as bad as the self-imposed state you place it in out of the box.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
I used a Shortcut and smart-outlet to limit my iPhone 12 Pro to 76% charge for over a year when I got it. Then one day I compared my battery health to a friend who bought the identical phone at the same time and always charged to 100% overnight. His was higher. I gave up and just charge to 100% now and my bought-at-launch 12 Pro is 88% health.

It's worth noting that 76% charge when new lasted me all day with maybe 20% to spare. Now a 100% charge will be at 40% by lunch. I wasn't swayed by anything in the iPhone 14 lineup so I'll probably just get a new battery soon.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I have read from multiple places that charging your battery to 100% is not optimal to battery health.
This is only partly fact — sadly a misinformation that continues on.

Charging a battery to 100% (or allowing the charge to go below 20%) is not problematic or realistically harmful to the battery.

Apple said:

It charges fast for convenience and slow for longevity.​

Your Apple lithium-ion battery uses fast charging to quickly reach 80% of its capacity, then switches to slower trickle charging. [...] Software may limit charging above 80% when the recommended battery temperatures are exceeded. This combined process not only lets you get out and about sooner, it also extends the lifespan of your battery.

The problem is having a constant >80% (or <20%) charge level for a long time (i.e., weeks or more).

Apple said:

Store it half-charged when you store it long term.​

If you want to store your device long term, two key factors will affect the overall health of your battery: the environmental temperature and the percentage of charge on the battery when it’s powered down for storage. Therefore, we recommend the following:
  • Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device’s battery — charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.
  • Power down the device to avoid additional battery use.
  • Place your device in a cool, moisture-free environment that’s less than 90° F (32° C).
  • If you plan to store your device for longer than six months, charge it to 50% every six months.
Depending on how long you store your device, it may be in a low-battery state when you remove it from long-term storage. After it’s removed from storage, it may require 20 minutes of charging with the original adapter before you can use it.

Hence why Apple introduced Optimized Charging, essentially for users who primarily use their battery-equipped devices while plugged in.

Related:

P.S. When the device auto powers-off because of low battery (i.e., what would be thought of as 0-percent), there is actually still a notable charge level — my guess is ~5 to 10%. The behavior is for general battery health, to allow tracking on critically low battery levels, as well as to provide the low battery and connect to charger icons onscreen if you try to power on a device with a critically low battery level.

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
My OCD being what it is but for whatever reason it bothers me seeing my phone battery percentage drop. I realize that’s nuts but it’s just the way I feel. So to combat that I top it off a number of times during the day which feels better to me. But I wouldn’t constantly top it off to 100% so I go to 80. A fellow I know does the same thing but has his phone constantly at 100%. I know too much about batteries to do that.
My OCPD has me do full charges (100% -> off, off to 100%) as much as possible — not nearly as much with the watch.

iPhone X (a few weeks away from five years old)
• 910 charge cycles as of July 21, 81% maximum capacity as reported by iOS today
• Current charge is 15%, last charged to 100% Wednesday evening
— granted, my average Screen On time (54 minutes) is probably far less than many users

Watch SE (two years old this month)
• 87% maximum capacity as of today
— I’ve tracked multi-mile, one to three hour outdoor workouts nearly every day the entire summer (i.e., since May)

Basically, as stated by several users, it’s not necessary or crucially beneficial to ‘baby’ your device battery.

Reactions: turbochgd

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
Fully agree, and I also fully understand others good points they’re making on this subject. If I was out and not around a charger all day I would do it differently. But I’m retired and home most of the time.

Bottom line, I understand not everyone is compulsive or crazy with their phones and will not remotely relate to any of this. My wife could care less about any of this except that her’s works. But I am and from what I can see I’m not alone.

Agree with you.

Some posters seemed to be threatened by us having this choice. I always think that choice is better. If Apple offers this feature for the Ultra Watch, it must have benefit.

Anyway, it is almost entertainkng how upset some seem to get.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Agree with you.

Some posters seemed to be threatened by us having this choice. I always think that choice is better. If Apple offers this feature for the Ultra Watch, it must have benefit.

Anyway, it is almost entertainkng how upset some seem to get.
Adding options/choices isn’t always good or without problems. The more complex, the higher possibility of mistakes/defects. Furthermore, the complaining goes both ways. Apple introduces automatic optimized charging, “It doesn’t work for me!" "I can’t set it manually!” or Apple providing CTO (i.e., upgrades) but still, “They’re overpriced!” being some rationale to claiming “Apple doesn’t let you upgrade!” In other words, how is it guaranteed adding choice will satisfy your needs/desires? As is said, “You can’t please everyone."

Anyway, of course, Apple may indeed expand that feature.

Figured I’d try to add some comedic relief.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

narenh

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Everyone has different usage patterns and priorities. I have all the “smart” charging stuff off because I’m highly skeptical that abusing my battery will have a noticeable effect over the span of only a single year (only on my phone tho, I keep optimized charging on for watch/AirPods since I don’t upgrade those every year).

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I made a shortcut that alerts me when it's at 80% - I often unplug it then. Can be annoying some time, but my 2 year old SE battery health is still at 84%, while often using wireless charging. Not sure if that's good or bad, but i'd like to be able to better automate charging in shortcuts.

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
Just like the Ultra where you can set to only charge to 80% and not 100% unless you wish.

I only use about 20-30% of my battery everyday and do not need my battery pushed to 100% every day.
But if you only use 20-30%, what does it matter if your battery max battery life decreases over time? It's not going to decrease that much.

Also, if you only charge to 80%, then its like having a battery that's already degraded to 80%.

I've used an iPhone X for four years without worrying about the battery being charged to 100% all the time, and it just now hit 80% maximum capacity.

surfsofa

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2004
Bay Area
I've wanted this for a long time. Optimised battery charging doesn't work for my routine (or lack thereof), so I have that turned off. No way is an algorithm going to know more about my day than I do. My Sony Walkman (yes, they still exist) has this feature and won't charge past 90%. Doesn't confuse me, and in fact I'd argue that the 'magic' of optimised battery charging is more confusing, compared to a simple switch like the OP is proposing.

For now I make do with the Shortcut alert. Works fine as long as I'm near the phone to hear it.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
But if you only use 20-30%, what does it matter if your battery max battery life decreases over time? It's not going to decrease that much.

Also, if you only charge to 80%, then its like having a battery that's already degraded to 80%.

I've used an iPhone X for four years without worrying about the battery being charged to 100% all the time, and it just now hit 80% maximum capacity.
That is fine. Then you would not use this, other would like too.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
Adding options/choices isn’t always good or without problems. The more complex, the higher possibility of mistakes/defects. Furthermore, the complaining goes both ways. Apple introduces automatic optimized charging, “It doesn’t work for me!" "I can’t set it manually!” or Apple providing CTO (i.e., upgrades) but still, “They’re overpriced!” being some rationale to claiming “Apple doesn’t let you upgrade!” In other words, how is it guaranteed adding choice will satisfy your needs/desires? As is said, “You can’t please everyone."

Anyway, of course, Apple may indeed expand that feature.

Figured I’d try to add some comedic relief.
So we should take away all choices and assume the Apple default Is best for all of us.
NOT!

Brandon42

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
Babying your battery to save it from degrading, by using less of the battery, means you're living as if the battery has already degraded. If you're using 80% of the battery, then you're manufacturing a scenario in which your phone behaves like it is at 80% battery health.
I have an electric car and I think the car makes the reasoning more clear:

I limit my charge level to the range of 30-80%. I am willing to let it fall below 30% if needed and I will charge to 100% if there is a good reason. I still get 100% of the battery when I really want it. And by limiting myself, I will have access to that near 100% for many more years. I’ve attached an example for my car where I intentionally charged to 100% just before Hurricane Ian arrived. The same logic would apply to a phone: use your full 100% when needed and optimize charging so that you have that capacity for much longer
94E784A8-6282-457F-ACF0-A3FAF1B1A33F.jpeg

513FD7FB-39A9-4B28-A45F-0A40CC906A1F.jpeg

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I’d like that for all my devices. Just put it under the advanced heading. If they‘re worried about confusing people. It’s really unusual for me to use more than 40% of my charge. If I know I’ll need more. I could let it charge to 100%.
It's in the battery settings on every Android I've seen, and it defaults to off

Reactions: velocityg4

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
But if you use very little battery every day you don't actual need to maintain battery health. You can abuse the thing all you want and it will still provide enough charge for as long as you own your phone, even for the occasional extra usage. You can abuse it on purpose and it would not make a difference to you since you only need a little charge each day. Make it a challenge to degrade your battery. Turn it into a game. Enjoy.
I'm keeping it constantly connected to a fast charger and doing as many battery draining things as possible while keeping the external temp as high as possible. Or would constantly letting it die and only charging it as much as it needs to do things be better?

Reactions: antiprotest

ddsforlife

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2019
SoCal
Is anybody’s Ultra self-limiting to 80% yet?

Mine arrived on launch day. I think I’ve only charged it to 100% a single time. I charge once per day, when I shower; I don’t think it’s ever been below 25% (with 40%-ish typical), and it’s generally between 80% and 95% when I put it back on.

But it still wants to charge to 100%.

By any reasonable statistical measure, it should know damn well by now that an 80% limit is perfectly fine.

Are Apple programmers just that paranoid? Or am I missing something? Or … ?

b&

Haha kinda wild but just this morning I looked and my Ultra stopped charging at 81% for the very first time and I also have had this Ultra since launch day and charge every night. I hit the charge to full button and by the time I showered and was ready to pop it off the charger it was up to 94%. So I guess the feature works, just takes time? 😊

Reactions: Jackbequickly

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
That is fine. Then you would not use this, other would like too.
Right, I'm all for features, I'm just wondering why you would want to use this when it doesn't seem like it would benefit you. If you only use 20-30% of your battery on any given day, why do you need to keep it from degrading a few percent a year?

Not trying to change your mind, I'm just curious why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.