Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Here’s some proof that never (virtually never) charging to 100% will let the battery outlast the useful life of the iPhone.

I have an 8 year old iPhone 6 Plus with its original battery that ios 12 battery health says is still at 99%. (Which doesn’t seem possible). The battery was almost never charged to 100% in 8 years. Usually it was charged only to 75-80%. Almost never discharged below 40%.

Coconut Battery says its at 93%, so its still got a lot of life left in it.
The iPhone 6 is pretty much unusable nowadays even on ios 12 - because its so dang slow, (was kinda slow on ios 9, and really slow on ios 12) so basically the battery had outlived the useful life of the phone.

Nowadays its very easy to have the charger automatically turn off at whatever charge level you set using the Shortcuts app and a HomeKit compatible smart plug.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Here’s some proof that never (virtually never) charging to 100% will let the battery outlast the useful life of the iPhone.

I have an 8 year old iPhone 6 Plus with its original battery that ios 12 battery health says is still at 99%. (Which doesn’t seem possible). The battery was almost never charged to 100% in 8 years. Usually it was charged only to 75-80%. Almost never discharged below 40%.

Coconut Battery says its at 93%, so its still got a lot of life left in it.
The iPhone 6 is pretty much unusable nowadays even on ios 12 - because its so dang slow, (was kinda slow on ios 9, and really slow on ios 12) so basically the battery had outlived the useful life of the phone.

Nowadays its very easy to have the charger automatically turn off at whatever charge level you set using the Shortcuts app and a HomeKit compatible smart plug.

I had an iPhone 8+ for two years, charged every night on a 5W charger to 100% to preserve health. Health was 86% when I got rid of it.

My iPhone 12, charged every night on an 18W charger to 100%, was at 90%.

What does this mean?!?

That life is short and worrying about charge rates on cheap batteries with variable chemistry that can be replaced for a relative pittance is a waste of that short time.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
Right, I'm all for features, I'm just wondering why you would want to use this when it doesn't seem like it would benefit you. If you only use 20-30% of your battery on any given day, why do you need to keep it from degrading a few percent a year?

Not trying to change your mind, I'm just curious why.

It is mainly for other who do care about their battery and phone are so expensive they can not afford a new one every year or even every 2-3 years. It would make a difference to them. I get a new phone every year so . . . . .

I am curious why people are against giving people the option to use this. I am not trying to force it on everyone but the option was given on the Ultra, why not the iPhone. This really seems to be upsetting many here, but there are many who would like this. Does not matter as Apple will not be doing it anyway.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
I don't get how people think that they are smarter than Apple engineers who are responsible for designing and producing millions of phones every single year.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Just like the Ultra where you can set to only charge to 80% and not 100% unless you wish.

I only use about 20-30% of my battery everyday and do not need my battery pushed to 100% every day.
What's the point ?

Make the phone battery last a few years longer than normal users charging to 100% ?

Why shortchange yourself ?

Do you fill your gas tank to 80% ?

I don't bother = fill up and charge everything I own to 100%.

My 6 year old XS Max still has 92% capacity after many years.

My 4 year old PHEV gets charged 100% every day and still has 95% capacity.

My EV Truck gets charged 100% and 100% capacity.
IMG_9544.JPG

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The difference this would make for battery life is minuscule.

Plus, Apple already does the charging management thing where it slows significantly when you get above 80%.
Samsung provides that option on their devices, so I assume it does make some sense.

Apple’s charging management is time-dependent on when it thinks you might need 100%, so it’s not user-controllable and doesn’t reliably limit the charging speed, and doesn’t place a hard limit on the charging percentage.

Having the battery exchanged is always a hassle, so being able to delay that if you don’t generally need 100% charge is a useful feature.

Reactions: KO7

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I don't get how people think that they are smarter than Apple engineers who are responsible for designing and producing millions of phones every single year.
It has nothing to do with smarter, it's just a trade-off. There is no free lunch. Want to fast-charge or charge to 100% or charge wirelessly? You'll pay for it in battery life. That's just physics. It won't make much difference if you keep your phone only for 2 years, though, and if you keep it longer, you can also change the battery. They would't need a battery-changing service if their phones were designed for battery longevity alone.

Reactions: KO7 and slplss

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Optimised charging is only good for those who have a charging routine - those who leave their phones to charge overnight for instance, since the handset can 'learn' your charging routine and push to that 100% mark before you usually remove from charge.
I'd assume that it prefers to do that at night, so if you charge over night and get up at around the same time every day, it should work regardless of your charging over the rest of the day. I usually get up between 6:00 and 11:00, depending on work requirements - I guess, it wouldn't work in my case.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
What's the point ?

Make the phone battery last a few years longer than normal users charging to 100% ?

Why shortchange yourself ?

Do you fill your gas tank to 80% ?

I don't bother = fill up and charge everything I own to 100%.

My 6 year old XS Max still has 92% capacity after many years.

My 4 year old PHEV gets charged 100% every day and still has 95% capacity.

My EV Truck gets charged 100% and 100% capacity.
View attachment 2094974
The point is some might want to. Why not?

Reactions: compwiz1202

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Not exactly what the OP meant. The OP stated that he/she only uses about 20-30% battery daily anyway, so either way, the OP does enjoy the phone as is. But if this feature was available, OP’s phone might have better battery longevity in its second and third year due to reduced time charging in 100%.
its not a Samsung, the phone will last way longer than the battery

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It is mainly for other who do care about their battery and phone are so expensive they can not afford a new one every year or even every 2-3 years. It would make a difference to them. I get a new phone every year so . . . . .

I am curious why people are against giving people the option to use this. I am not trying to force it on everyone but the option was given on the Ultra, why not the iPhone. This really seems to be upsetting many here, but there are many who would like this. Does not matter as Apple will not be doing it anyway.
It wouldn't make ANY difference to them because they operate their phones as if the battery is shot to pieces anyway.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Okay… Deep, slow breath.
I am not trying to force it on everyone but the option was given on the Ultra, why not the iPhone.
Just like the Ultra where you can set to only charge to 80% and not 100% unless you wish.

Happy now? :)

“News” sites/outlets once again create unreasonable drama and confusion. I don’t know why MacRumors decided to (re)highlight this feature two years later. I guess, in MR partial defense, they did start off with:
MacRumors said:
All Apple Watch models running watchOS 7 or later [...]

By the way, Apple’s document on the feature:

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Samsung includes that option because they know their battery optimization sucks. I had S22 Ultra. That thing after a month of learning my usage always dropped to 40% or less by the EOD. My 13 pro max with similar use I'm left with 40%-60% depending on how heavy I was using before I went to bed. But I never get battery charge anxiety with the iphone. That stupid S22 Ultra always had me eyeing the battery because it seemed to be dropping so fast if I just looked at it. OP i'd just not worry about the Iphone battery life. Since Iphone 11 they've been extremely reliable and hold their charging capacity for a long time.

Reactions: compwiz1202

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If that's the case, why Apple put that feature for the Apple Watch Ultra?
Because some people with the Apple Watch Ultra will just have it as a second, third or maybe fourth watch.

This means it’s going to sit on the charger pretty much 24/7 and not be taken anywhere. It’s the same reason the MacBook has this feature for people that buy a laptop, but really want a desktop. Most people don’t have multiple phones or any reason to leave their phone on the charger for days or weeks at a time.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
I

It was to mess with the battery OCD guys.

Seriously I would imagine it's because Samsung and some of the other manufacturers are now offering these battery settings. Expect it in iOS soon.
I agree, bet we will see it before the 14 arrives. I hope some of the posters can stand it!

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I don’t charge my 12PM overnight. First year I was careful about not charging beyond 80%. The battery health went down to 91% in a year. I thought I might need to change battery within 2 years as I expected it to go below 80%. But it still shows 91%. I'm not so careful anymore, but I still don't charge overnight. I have a charger at home, in my car and office.

I must admit that I had to change batteries of my Samsung S6 edge, S8 and Note 9 within 2 years of usage. 12PM still holding strong

Reactions: foliovision

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
OP, you say you only use 20-30% a day. That means you’re already at 70-80% when you’re done for the day. Perhaps just don’t charge it. Same difference minus a little standby drain.

Or charge during the day instead of night so you can keep an eye on the level.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
OP, you say you only use 20-30% a day. That means you’re already at 70-80% when you’re done for the day. Perhaps just don’t charge it. Same difference minus a little standby drain.

Or charge during the day instead of night so you can keep an eye on the level.

‘Well that solves the whole problem, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.