Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Phew!

Well, I'm just so pleased I've got 'reversible grip' capabilities on my hand otherwise this would have been a disaster.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Apple will ship the new power adapter with the iPhone 6. But I think concerns about the durability of that reversible USB connector may delay the ship of that new Lightning cable until 2015.

Gav183

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Queensland
I don't reckon in all my time using USB cables have I once said, "gee I wish this was reversible, cos it is ruining my whole day turning it around to plug it in..." :rolleyes:

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Cost concerns? Does this person realize that this adapter is used elsewhere in the world already. Can't imagine a big cost to sticking a different interchangeable plug section in the box.

Even $0.02 times the millions of phones Apple will sell adds up. I'm sure they watch every penny of cost.

Just because it's used elsewhere doesn't mean they're ready to include it here. Maybe Oz has it because of some more stringent safety code (they are big sticklers for safety there. Extension cords at work had to be regularly inspected and tagged....like a fire extinguisher here in the States). Also people are always complaining how foreign prices Apple charge are higher than USD....perhaps they can afford the extra $0.02 there and meet margin target.

Oh and I hope the reversible USB never happens....looks like a fragile failure waiting to happen. I guess if it may be needed for forward/backward USB standard compatibility...but I have no need for it now.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
God I'm sick of rumor sites treating Ming-Chi Kuo as some god. There's no evidence he has inside information, just throwing stuff at the wall and some of it sticks.

----------

Since when does Ming-Chi Kuo let me throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks = fact? Basically what we have is, a previous rumor which may or may not have been true, may not be true.

He is now covered no matter what happens :D.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I don't reckon in all my time using USB cables have I once said, "gee I wish this was reversible, cos it is ruining my whole day turning it around to plug it in..." :rolleyes:
Is that your threshold for improved design? If if doesn't ruin your whole day, then leave it alone? No point in releasing a new iPhone at all then.

It's never ruined a whole day for me, either. Just a minute here or there.

sjjohnston

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
I would be very surprised if they did release a reversible connector for current USB ports. Regardless of how well it's manufactured it's likely going to quickly break, as people try and jam the thing in expecting that it will always work. As the current adapter only fits in only one of two possible configurations it's pretty easy for people to figure out.

The more opportunity for something to go wrong, the more likely it will go wrong.

gzimmerman

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
Windsor, Ontario
Just more foot dragging by Apple.
Talk about it a couple more months and Samsung will have it out, then Apple will follow.
Like the watch. Apple bringing out a watch like 2 years ago, first company to announce. Now is Samsung on their 2nd or 3rd generation watch?
Apple really beat everyone in bringing out a larger phone. How many hundreds of millions did they loose over that? Now they still don't know what size phone they want to build.
Tim Cook…….."we have so many new amazing products coming out".
They just never come out!

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Shipping this with the iPhone 6 should be done, it would standardise this cable quicker and faster.

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Psst

Secret: the logo or bump on your USB cable faces up.

The triangle next to your fuel gauge points toward your gas tank.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
So why not post a happy new story instead? maybe investigate some of apples happy staff and write something about that just for a change?

You do know that this is a site mainly about Mac rumors right?

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Shipping this with the iPhone 6 should be done, it would standardise this cable quicker and faster.
Why would anyone want to standardise this type of cable when Type C USB 3.1 Cables/Plugs are reversible by design, much smaller and a lot tougher than this?
This time I think Apple missed the train and got overtaken by the usb-standard.

If Apple is clever, they would just drop that patent (which may well be revoked anyway due to prior art) and just be the first to implement type c plugs...that would be awesome.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
LOL glad you said this. I'm sitting here looking at my adapter thinking "How the hell did I get something that isn't released yet?"

Got mine with my 5S here in Australia, last year.

So are you saying you got a 2A adapter with your 5S last year? I just want to be clear before accusing you of not understanding what you read. I have been known to misinterpret posts from time to time.;)

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
LOL glad you said this. I'm sitting here looking at my adapter thinking "How the hell did I get something that isn't released yet?"

Got mine with my 5S here in Australia, last year.

Is it a 2A charger? I guess the cost is that of "upgrading" iphone chargers from 1A to 2A.

gzimmerman

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
Windsor, Ontario
Don't be too surprised if all the 'leaked' photos we see on MacRumours are actually leaked by Apple, just to stir up interest, get people talking about them and have people start lining up for a phone still unannounced. Has the line started forming yet?
i have yet to see a lineup for a Samsung phone that is just coming out, maybe because they have a new and better phone released every 2 months.
How about an iPhone 6 with a 4K display?
Lets not get to ahead of ourselves.
How about an iPhone 6 with 1080P display?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Why would anyone want to standardise this type of cable when Type C USB 3.1 Cables/Plugs are reversible by design, much smaller and a lot tougher than this?
This time I think Apple missed the train and got overtaken by the usb-standard.

If Apple is clever, they would just drop that patent (which may well be revoked anyway due to prior art) and just be the first to implement type c plugs...that would be awesome.

Apple may well be an early adopter of Type C. Ports have become an obstacle to thinner designs. USB is the thickest port on MacBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.