Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I was happy to see that Apple was allowing users to stay in iOS 14 without nagging us to upgrade to iOS 15, but it now appears they have backtracked. Early this afternoon I noticed the badge with the (1) on the settings app. When I go into the settings app and to the software update section, it only allows me to download + install iOS 15, no option to just ignore it. Unfortunately it looks like I will need to live with the annoying badge in the settings app.

Is it just me or did this also happen to other iOS 14 users?

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
My iPad Air2 in on 14.8.1 and I have no badge or notification to update to iOS15

My 2017 iPad Pro is also on 14.8.1 and no badge/notification either. It only started this afternoon on my iPhone 11 Pro. This was not an issue until today.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Move the settings app to the next Home Screen. Out of sight = out of mind.

The red badge only comes up if you checked for updates. I didn’t have a red badge until I just checked for updates after reading this thread / and now damnit I have a red badge too. 15.1 is the only option now to update.
So I’ll take my own advice and the settings app now is in my second page. Curses.

Nag screens haven’t started yet. I suppose that’s next.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
adoption rate is too slow - people prefer privacy instead of surveillance

Reactions: baypharm

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
adoption rate is too slow - people prefer privacy instead of surveillance

I wonder how the iOS 15 adaption rate compares to iOS 13 in September 2019, especially given that last year was an especially unusual year due to COVID.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I wonder how the iOS 15 adaption rate compares to iOS 13 in September 2019, especially given that last year was an especially unusual year due to COVID.

people thought getting covid via updating os.. or what do you mean?

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Move the settings app to the next Home Screen. Out of sight = out of mind.

The red badge only comes up if you checked for updates. I didn’t have a red badge until I just checked for updates after reading this thread / and now damnit I have a red badge too. 15.1 is the only option now to update.
So I’ll take my own advice and the settings app now is in my second page. Curses.

Nag screens haven’t started yet. I suppose that’s next.
So sorry to read you are now having the same issue.

I have followed your recommendation to move the settings app to the 3rd home screen page so that I don't see it. Whenever I need to go to settings I will just swipe down and use the search function (Siri will likely just show/suggest the app given how much I will do so).

It is very annoying that Apple has very quietly changed course. They should have been transparent from the get to that the intent was to not force the upgrade for only a short period of time. Very sneaky and misleading.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I'm not sure what is so sneaky, if you are up to date with iOS 14, then the only available update would be 15 right?

The notification would appear if you check manually or automatically download the latest update.

I remember seeing that on a iOS 14 device that the option for 15 was at the bottom....but assumed that iOS 15 would be in the forefront once the device had the latest iOS 14 release.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I'm not sure what is so sneaky, if you are up to date with iOS 14, then the only available update would be 15 right?

The notification would appear if you check manually or automatically download the latest update.

I remember seeing that on a iOS 14 device that the option for 15 was at the bottom....but assumed that iOS 15 would be in the forefront once the device had the latest iOS 14 release.

Before yesterday, users in iOS 14 would continue getting security updates to iOS 14 (latest one being 14.8.1) and would have the option to update to iOS 15 if they wanted. The option to update to iOS 15 was only shown inside the software update section (towards the bottom of the screen). This was an amazing change by Apple because users who did not want to upgrade to the latest and "greatest" would not be constantly harassed to upgrade to the latest version.

Since yesterday, Apple has decided to go back to nagging with badges to the settings app in the home screen (which there is no way of removing/turning off) and showing a banner right above airplane mode (once you enter settings) to advertise iOS15.

I find it sneaky because they lead on as if it was going to be this way going forward. Had they said back in September when they released iOS 15 that they would only give iOS 14 users 2 months of space to upgrade to iOS 15 before beginning their historical harassment tactics, I would be ok with it. But that was not the case.

I'm ok now, I've followed the advice to just remove the settings app from the main screen and hide it elsewhere ?

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
It was only 2 weeks ago that auto updates noticed an update and told me to update my phone to 14.8. I’m currently using an SE2020. For whatever reason my phone has never auto downloaded updates until months after they have come out. This also happened with my 6s. Now that iOS 15 is a thing I’ve turned off auto update/download.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
IOS15 isn't bad, i think its better then IOS 14. I don't get why some act like it's the plague lol

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It’s bad because it’s going to get really bad when they start scanning every device’s Photos App.
iOS 15 currently is like a battleship far out on the horizon. It may look like a tiny dot right now, but soon enough it’ll be within shooting range and that’s when the mayhem will begin.

Reactions: remington79

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
If you turn off iCloud photos then they can't scan them anyways. Besides that if you have nothing to hide then why even worry? Nothing is 100% private on the internet anyways not even your SSN. I believe Android does it too so what you going to do when eventually your phone breaks and you have to buy a new one that's on IOS15 or higher out of the box?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I got the badge today on my iPad.. I downloaded the update then deleted it to remove the badge. I guess I'm going to have to start using my DNS Cloak Setup which blocks Apple servers and won't allow updates requests for current or available updates. Works like a charm

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
I got the badge today on my iPad.. I downloaded the update then deleted it to remove the badge. I guess I'm going to have to start using my DNS Cloak Setup which blocks Apple servers and won't allow updates requests for current or available updates. Works like a charm
So what are you going to do when you eventually have to get a new iPad and you can no longer get IOS14?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.