Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
So what are you going to do when you eventually have to get a new iPad and you can no longer get IOS14?
If apple offers a 14.8.2 I'll just shut off the DNS Cloak VPN and I can update the device normally. Pretty slick setup, found it on Reddit when Apple stopped let you block the updates using tvos beta.
I just re-read your post and if I buy a new iPad I'll have to use whatever the most current iOS thats offered. As long as I keep this one I can keep it on 14.8.1 and if by some crazy chance the Air2 is offered iOS16 I can decide if I want to update. Nothing wrong with iOS15 (I use it on my iPhone) I just don't like the UI of iPad OS15..

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
If apple offers a 14.8.2 I'll just shut off the DNS Cloak VPN and I can update the device normally. Pretty slick setup, found it on Reddit when Apple stopped let you block the updates using tvos beta.
I just re-read your post and if I buy a new iPad I'll have to use whatever the most current iOS thats offered. As long as I keep this one I can keep it on 14.8.1 and if by some crazy chance the Air2 is offered iOS16 I can decide if I want to update. Nothing wrong with iOS15 (I use it on my iPhone) I just don't like the UI of iPad OS15..

iOS 15 compatible devices will no longer be able to receive iOS 14 updates from this point forward. The updater is only checking for iOS 15 updates now. You need to update to iOS 15 to stay safe and secure.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I suspect the delay in pushing iOS 15 is more to allow people to ride out the initial release and any potential bugs that get fixed relatively quickly via point releases.

I think it was naive to think Apple would let users stay on iOS 14 indefinitely without being bugged to upgrade to iOS 15.

_Required_

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
If (like me) you're on 14.8.1 and still want the Settings app handy on your main home screen, but lose the annoying red badge, use Shortcuts to create a shortcut that does nothing more than open the Settings app.

Add this shortcut to your home screen with a custom icon image identical to the original Settings app icon (easy to find online), call it "Settings" and you'll barely notice the difference.

Then bury the real app with its irritating red badge in a folder somewhere and forget about it.

Here's how it looks on my SE.

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 41

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Why are people hesitant on updating? If Apple separated security vs. improvements, I would choose the security. But that’s not to be, so I make sure everything is up to date with the latest update.

Reactions: lkalliance

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
It’s bad because it’s going to get really bad when they start scanning every device’s Photos App.
iOS 15 currently is like a battleship far out on the horizon. It may look like a tiny dot right now, but soon enough it’ll be within shooting range and that’s when the mayhem will begin.
I still don't understand this worry. Your phone already scans your photo library, and has for years. If I do a search for "bird" in Photos it shows me pics in my photo library that have birds in them. Worrying now about your photo library being "scanned" are a few years too late.

Jupiter9

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2021
Why are people hesitant on updating? If Apple separated security vs. improvements, I would choose the security. But that’s not to be, so I make sure everything is up to date with the latest update.
security is a meme, I use Windows 7 and High Sierra and never had a single issue with "security"
I choose optimized software before newest updates crippling my machine

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
security is a meme, I use Windows 7 and High Sierra and never had a single issue with "security"
I choose optimized software before newest updates crippling my machine
Windows offered me and others a free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I declined because I knew exactly what that would entail, performance downgrade. Now my updates to Office 2016 is only security updates because I am running an older OS, which is perfectly okay with me.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

There is no security when apple added a code for surveillance. Until it is removed, i stay away from updates.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
My 12 Pro Max is jailbroken on 14.1, so I don’t have any nagging notifications about updating to iOS 15. I haven’t tested any other versions of iOS 14 nor iOS 15, so in my eyes I’m not missing anything except security updates. I’ve been careful about which sites I visit and which apps I download. Once I get the 14 Pro Max, then I’ll deal with using iOS 16. The crazy part is, this is the first time I’ve ever left my iPhone on the OS version it shipped with.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The crazy part is, this is the first time I’ve ever left my iPhone on the OS version it shipped with

I took that mentality to the Xtreme. I kept my iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 9 for 5-1/2 years!
After that experiment, I’ll never stay that far behind ever again. One year behind of the current version of iOS is the sweet spot.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I took that mentality to the Xtreme. I kept my iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 9 for 5-1/2 years!
After that experiment, I’ll never stay that far behind ever again. One year behind of the current version of iOS is the sweet spot.

I really feel I’m not missing out on anything feature wise staying on 14.1. I never tested the beta out and haven’t read any of the topics talking about features from 14.2 and on up. I’m definitely going to start keeping my devices on the software version they ship on, especially more so if my device is jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.