Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dom46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
My first iPhone was the 3GS. Currently, I own the iPhone 12 Pro. There have been many iPhones released between these two, the large majority of which I have owned. But the iPhone 12 Pro is the first of the iPhones that have left me completely disappointed. And as I research fixes and work-arounds to cope with the abundance of glitches, I have come to realize that it isn't the iPhone 12, but Apple in general whose quality has been on the decline.

Most recently, I began to research why Siri suddenly began asking me to repeat commands, right after saying "hey Siri". A quick search of the Apple discussion forums showed that over one thousand users had the same problem. And a Google search of the problem showed that this issue wasn't limited to the iPhone. There were people experiencing this issue with the Apple Watch and with Siri on the New MacBook Pro.

When the same problem spans many devices, the common denominator is coding. And this is sad as one of the most appealing things for me about Apple's products over the years has smooth and reliable operation of its devices.

It isn't a coincidence that these issues have become progressively worse since the passing of Steve Jobs. For Steve, the quality of the product was paramount. But since his passing, it seems that Apple's priority is about the bottom line and keeping shareholders happy, rather than the quality of the product.

Steve Jobs must be twisting in his grave.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So, Steve died in October of 2011. That's five and a half years after the Intel transition. So, for five or more years (Steve was involved in the planning of course) you had Intel Mac product under his purview. With the exception of a few Intel Mac models I defy you to find a model of Intel Mac that matches the build quality of PowerPC Macs.

The iPhone 5, which released in 2012, he was a part of and probably the 5s and 6/6+. In any case, the 5 had Scuffgate.

With the iPhone 4/4s he publicly announced that YOU, the user, were holding the damn phone wrong.

And you're blaming the people after Jobs?

Last edited:

Dom46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Judging Apple by the performance of Siri is absurd. Siri is a turd (for the most part) and always has been and is best left disabled unless you like frustration

I'm not judging Apple on the performance of Siri. I'm judging based on my experience with iPhones... and only iPhones. And my experience is that the quality of the coding has deteriorated.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I think that too many people over-glorify the period when Jobs was the CEO. He was an excellent communicator and a perfectionist, no doubt. But everything was not perfect under his leadership, and the antennagate is just one of many examples. Apple since Jobs has significantly diversified its business, so chances of having a product, software or service with issues are higher.

That doesn’t mean I disagree with your general comment. I think that Apple needs to step up the quality it delivers, especially in their software (I also find Siri terrible). But I don’t think that the fault is solely on Cook and that everything would have been fine if jobs was still here.

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
If the OP feels this way, then that's fine. I'm not going to argue his opinion. But seeing that the term "cream of the crop" was used, I'm curious as to what the OP considers to be the "cream of the crop" now? Was it Apple in general that you considered this to be or just iPhones?

If Apple, what company takes this title for you now?

If iPhones, what mobile phone takes the title now?

Dom46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
If the OP feels this way, then that's fine. I'm not going to argue his opinion. But seeing that the term "cream of the crop" was used, I'm curious as to what the OP considers to be the "cream of the crop" now? Was it Apple in general that you considered this to be or just iPhones?

If Apple, what company takes this title for you now?

If iPhones, what mobile phone takes the title now?

In my view, Apple is still the cream. My point is that the cream is starting to curdle. And if apple doesn't do something to release a product that is less glitchy, they won't be "king of the hill" for much longer.

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
In my view, Apple is still the cream. My point is that the cream is starting to curdle. And if apple doesn't do something to release a product that is less glitchy, they won't be "king of the hill" for much longer.
Oh well. I'll just move on to the next thing.

But I agree about Siri. Siri is bad. Ten years and I really don't want to use it because it just isn't good. Fortunately I don't rely on it for my needs out of a mobile phone.

Mactech20

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2021
I understand that bugs will happen. But I don't sense any urgency on Apple's part to correct these bugs. And when I pay $1400 for an iPhone, I expect to work as advertised.
This should have been the opening line. The build quality to me seems marginally worse. I have a 13 Pro and may end up returning it and going back to my Jet Black 7. Pretty average improvements in 5 years. Much heavier, fatter, and uglier though, the quality of the build seems to be worse imo. Wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't TWICE the price of iPhones 5 years ago. The Price is the real problem.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
My first iPhone was the 3GS. Currently, I own the iPhone 12 Pro. There have been many iPhones released between these two, the large majority of which I have owned. But the iPhone 12 Pro is the first of the iPhones that have left me completely disappointed. And as I research fixes and work-arounds to cope with the abundance of glitches, I have come to realize that it isn't the iPhone 12, but Apple in general whose quality has been on the decline.

Most recently, I began to research why Siri suddenly began asking me to repeat commands, right after saying "hey Siri". A quick search of the Apple discussion forums showed that over one thousand users had the same problem. And a Google search of the problem showed that this issue wasn't limited to the iPhone. There were people experiencing this issue with the Apple Watch and with Siri on the New MacBook Pro.

When the same problem spans many devices, the common denominator is coding. And this is sad as one of the most appealing things for me about Apple's products over the years has smooth and reliable operation of its devices.

It isn't a coincidence that these issues have become progressively worse since the passing of Steve Jobs. For Steve, the quality of the product was paramount. But since his passing, it seems that Apple's priority is about the bottom line and keeping shareholders happy, rather than the quality of the product.

good joke...todays devices are more software robust full of features than we got in the first iOS versions that also had some little issues even then
Today, we have the best overall smartphone in the shape of iPhone 13 pro/max
The best overall laptop/price in the shape of M1 Macbook air and 14" Macbook Pro
The best overall all in one in the shape of M1 24" iMac
The best overall totally wireless that shake the industry in the shape of airpods
The best overall tablet in the shape of 12.9" ipad pro
The best overall smartwatch that is like a semi doctor on your wrist...that can even save lives

Again you chose the timing wrong...if you came out with this remark 1-2 years ago when the macs with intel+butterfly keyboards and iphone 12 were around, then yes..., but in 2021..not even close

Apple just lack behind on Siri, home devices ,maps and some others things

So, Steve must be proud , they have overall the best devices on the market while also making the shareholders happy...a win win scenario that makes everyone happy but you and some others that dont think at cold

Last edited:

Miha_v

macrumors regular
May 18, 2018
My first iPhone was iPhone 5, after that iPhone 7, now I use iPhone 11 pro. Overall I'd say the quality of these products is still great (only tried 13 pro and it feels just as good). Any issues I had were so rare and insignificant, they're not even worth mentioning. Positive iPhone experiences convinced me to switch to "Apple ecosystem". Occasional bugs will always happen, just the nature of every system.

But some Apple's software solutions never worked for me personally (not years ago, not now). Apple maps in my country is constantly years behind Google maps in every way and is now dead to me, after exclusively negative experiences with it. "TouchID" never worked well for me though I really struggled to make it work, disabled it in the end. Quicker to type the pin then to wait for it to register my fingerprint succesfully, unfortunately (until FaceID came). Don't even mention Siri: a couple of bad experiences turned me off of it forever. Turning Siri "off" is literally the first thing I do on every new phone.

Apart from that, the rest (and the more important stuff) is great. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: immortalHD

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I was hoping that this thread would start some dialog. But it would seem that I have touched a nerve of some product loyalists.
You may get some dialogue if you start a constructive discussion on a clear point or aspect. A thread title like this will always raise some challenging.

Apple is not perfect. But neither was Steve Jobs. And Siri is bad. But personally I still see Apple as the leader. But each to their own decision and choice.

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
My 13 Pro is a beast and works swimmingly. Sure, there's bugs but they're not near as serious as they're made out to be around here.

I'm sure Steve is perfectly happy in whatever afterlife found him.
Just wait 1 year and your 13 Pro will turn into a laggy turd like all iPhones.

To the OP: You are correct. Apple products are some of the lowest quality stuff out there. Anyone that disagrees needs to try non-Apple products.
I am so tired every day worrying about whether an Intel architecture app is running in the background, when MacOS writes 100+ GB of data to the SSD daily or if I should update iOS 14 to iOS 15.2 since Apple is trying to cripple my devices. I already have other things in life I need to worry about. Apple products just give me more problems to deal with.

When you buy a Windows PC or an Android, everything just works so well and you don't have to worry about whether the manufacturer is trying to cripple your device. Windows PC and Android are just far less stressful to use than Apple products.

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
If I look back on iPhone 3GS-iPhone 6, I remember those phones getting slow and sometimes barely usable after a year and a new IOS update.

Nowadays an iPhone can easily last you 4+ years and remains snappy.

I think people look back on old devices with rose colored glasses.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
If I look back on iPhone 3GS-iPhone 6, I remember those phones getting slow and sometimes barely usable after a year and a new IOS update.

Nowadays an iPhone can easily last you 4+ years and remains snappy.

I think people look back on old devices with rose colored glasses.
exactly ..people still live in the era where iphone 6/6s was slow after 1-2 years, when you didnt had a full day battery life and so on...those days passed since the introduction of iphone 11 pro and M1 macs
Probably those are the people who thought they afford apple but realised they cant keep up with Apple products and changed to the android/windows platform and never looked back

Reactions: immortalHD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.