Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
To argue that an additional piece of equipment costing hundreds of dollars solves the problem with the first piece of equipment is silly only serves to support the argument that the first piece of equipment is substandard.

I was lucky though as that additional piece of equipment was being used long before the pandemic for me. I’ve had no additional cost to get the ability to unlock the phone with a mask on and to be honest, it’s rare I wear a mask and need my phone at the same time anyway.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
In my experiences, Apple remains the "cream of the crop." No troubles with my iPhones or Macs, and I've had a bunch. My 13 Pro Max has performed flawlessly from day one and iOS 15 has only gotten better. I finally replaced my 2010 iMac with a new M1 24" model and all I can say is "WOW." Crazy smooth and fast.

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
In my experiences, Apple remains the "cream of the crop." No troubles with my iPhones or Macs, and I've had a bunch. My 13 Pro Max has performed flawlessly from day one and iOS 15 has only gotten better. I finally replaced my 2010 iMac with a new M1 24" model and all I can say is "WOW." Crazy smooth and fast.
The M1 Mac is anything but smooth and fast.
A Windows PC with mediocre specs can run 3440 x 1440p @ 144 hz while the "state-of-the-art" M1 can't even do it without choppy performance.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The M1 Mac is anything but smooth and fast.
A Windows PC with mediocre specs can run 3440 x 1440p @ 144 hz while the "state-of-the-art" M1 can't even do it without choppy performance.

My wife has a 16” MacBook Pro M1 Max and it is far from choppy. I have a Dell 7760 Workstation Laptop which is a beast but the Mac more than competes with it on performance. I wish I could use the software I use on a Mac but its not compatible. You are the first person I have heard to say this about performance of the M1.

What Mac do you have for comparison?

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
My wife has a 16” MacBook Pro M1 Max and it is far from choppy. I have a Dell 7760 Workstation Laptop which is a beast but the Mac more than competes with it on performance. I wish I could use the software I use on a Mac but its not compatible. You are the first person I have heard to say this about performance of the M1.

What Mac do you have for comparison?
7-core iMac.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I was lucky though as that additional piece of equipment was being used long before the pandemic for me. I’ve had no additional cost to get the ability to unlock the phone with a mask on and to be honest, it’s rare I wear a mask and need my phone at the same time anyway.
Like you I had it the other way around: I already had an Apple Watch that I got early in the pandemic for other uses, and now that I have my first Face ID phone (13 mini) I already had the Watch. But I have found that under some circumstances the Watch unlock isn't working for me. I don't know what those circumstances are, I just can confirm that sometimes I will go through a bit where it won't unlock without the passcode. Do you know of specific circumstances where the Watch-unlock doesn't work by design?

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I meant apps that you can slide and open in one go from the lock screen. Not the default flashlight etc. Normal apps you download.
What apps can you get to from the lock screen? If the screen is locked, you have to first unlock the screen unless you have disabled requiring a passcode or biometrics.

CheesegraterMac

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2022
I can't comment on earlier Apple products, as I was mostly using Windows PC and Android until late this year.
However, I can say that Apple is definitely trying to be "unique" rather than releasing something that works well.

FaceID is a complete clownshow and the very definition of a useless gimmick. Apple - Take my advice and go copy Qualcomm/Samsung's ultrasonic fingerprint scanner. Even my first generation S10's under-the-diplay fingerprint scanner is far more reliable than the iPhone 13's inferior faceid.
The only time I had an issue with the S10's fingerprint scanner was if my finger was wet or dusty. Otherwise, it's very reliable, accurate and fast. The iPhone 13's faceid fails 50% of the time.
I recommend you get this one
iphone-7-32gb-black.jpg

It has frickin' Touch ID!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.