Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dom46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
It makes it a reality. You can't possibly expect that there are no faulty products, especially at that scale. Name one product made in factories that didn't have faulty units.

Apple is probably doing better in this regard than all other competitors.

Just because it I the reality, doesn't mean we can't demand better.

Reactions: maxoakland

Dom46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
That sounds like it is a problem with the cars head unit. You can verify this, by trying out your phone on a different car from a different manufacturer. CarPlay is not gear toward any brand of vehicle and it is up to the car manufacture of the vehicle to handle CarPlay properly. I have tried CarPlay on several different brands of cars, Honda, Chevy and Nissan. They all worked to a degree slightly differently. For instance, the time that it takes from the moment I plugged the phone into CarPlay, the head unit will vary in the amount of time before I would see the CarPlay screen. Try connecting your phone to a different brand of vehicle and see if it works correctly.

I understand your frustration, you expect your phone to operate in a useful fashion. I would also be frustrated.
What version of iOS are you running on your iPhone 12 Pro?

As an experiment have you tried backing up your phone, and do an Erase All Contents, setup as a new device and see how the phone works as a clean device for #1, #3. It would be easy to restore from a backup after you are done.

Just some thoughts on the issues you are having.

Thank you.

Backing up the phone (I do this regularly), erase all contents, set up as a new device...

This is precisely why I feel as I do. Why are such steps like this even necessary? It shouldn't be necessary.

I can appreciate that technology isn't perfect. But such measures are taking up a lot of time and effort on my part. And in the end, it probably won't help.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Thank you.

Backing up the phone (I do this regularly), erase all contents, set up as a new device...

This is precisely why I feel as I do. Why are such steps like this even necessary? It shouldn't be necessary.

I can appreciate that technology isn't perfect. But such measures are taking up a lot of time and effort on my part. And in the end, it probably won't help.
If it were me I would try to see if I could understand if the issue from a backup or the OS. You only want to rant and lash out at other posters when they do not agree with you. And you wonder why people are having a hard time taking you seriously. I give you some suggestions to try and your response is "it probably won't help". Misery loves company.

Reactions: millerj123

Dom46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
If it were me I would try to see if I could understand if the issue from a backup or the OS. You only want to rant and lash out at other posters when they do not agree with you. And you wonder why people are having a hard time taking you seriously. I give you some suggestions to try and your response is "it probably won't help". Misery loves company.

I'm not saying it won't work. And I'm not wondering why people aren't taking me seriously. You can't go through life worrying about what other people think.

Explain why such measures should even be necessary. Frankly, it only supports my position that Apple can do better.

An update is supposed to correct issues, not create more.

What irony... I went to the Apple support site to schedule a call. I went through all of the steps only to be met with a message: "Something went wrong. Please try again later".

How anyone can defend Apple for not doing better leaves me puzzled.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
Since you’ve deduced the culprit to coding, have you submitted any of those glitches to Apple for feedback?
Given the age of iOS, its codebase is fairly mature, albeit legacy in some cases. When iterating new features into an older codebase, glitches are to be expected from my experience. It’s just a matter of finding a best fix for the code, or even reaching a point of refactoring to push out for the next production launch.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iPhone 5 was released in 2012 NOT 2011, but iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S it’s all the same. And he did NOT announce the 2011 iPhone (which was the iphone 4S). His last iPhone announcement was the iPhone 4, but historical accuracy isn’t why we post. Likes are why we post! Google is free, it’s easy too.
Yah know, I 'knew' there was something I missed there. Guess I just didn't see it. You're right. It was 2012. I got my 5 on September 21, 2012.

My error aside, my point was that Steve was involved in the design of future iDevices up until his death. He still had a hand in things. Apple locks in design well before a planned release and other devices are in various design stages.

PS. I fixed the post.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I'm not saying it won't work. And I'm not wondering why people aren't taking me seriously. You can't go through life worrying about what other people think.

Explain why such measures should even be necessary. Frankly, it only supports my position that Apple can do better.

What irony... I went to the Apple support site to schedule a call. I went through all of the steps only to be met with a message: "Something went wrong. Please try again later".
I am not the one who is frustrated and angry, having those issues with my iPhone. It is up to you, I have given you a couple of suggestions that *might* help.

I guess I am just more proactive about things, trying to understand why and how things work the way they do. An OS is very complex. Things can get corrupted from old backups that are brought over to a new device and backed up to the new backup. Sometimes things can go wrong, it is impossible to create a system which does not have any bugs, major or minor. Sometimes the OS is so complex that adding more features to it can create side effect issues. Testing can always be improved. This is why Apple has opened up beta testing to developers and the public

You have no idea of my purchase history with Apple and what issues I have had to deal with. You are just jumping to unfounded conclusions. If you look at post #77 you will see some of what I have gone through with the Apple devices I have owned. I choose to handle the issues I have without resorting to ranting and lashing out at others like you are doing.

Reactions: millerj123

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Is there a phone manufacturer that will let me use their phone and only pay for it when I am happy with it's performance? Think about that...

No, there isn't. So, you have to pay up front. And many of the issues don't pop up within the two week period for returns.
If you have a phone that you know you aren't happy with, sell it and get one that you are happy with. Quite simple really. What's the point of torturing yourself using a phone that you don't like for years to come? :D Or is staying with the Apple brand is so worth it to torture yourself in using something you don't like?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Just because it I the reality, doesn't mean we can't demand better.

You can always demand better. But if you do it from beyond the realm of possible and realistic, you're setting yourself up for constant disappointment.

But let me ask you, since you're claiming Apple is not cream of the crop - may I ask, in your opinion, who is?

Dom46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
You can always demand better. But if you do it from beyond the realm of possible and realistic, you're setting yourself up for constant disappointment.

But let me ask you, since you're claiming Apple is not cream of the crop - may I ask, in your opinion, who is?

I contradicted myself in my title. As I said in earlier an earlier post, I still think Apple is the best. But they have lowered the bar for themselves.

Dom46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Since you’ve deduced the culprit to coding, have you submitted any of those glitches to Apple for feedback?
Given the age of iOS, its codebase is fairly mature, albeit legacy in some cases. When iterating new features into an older codebase, glitches are to be expected from my experience. It’s just a matter of finding a best fix for the code, or even reaching a point of refactoring to push out for the next production launch.

Yes, I always bring issues to Apple's attention.

Dom46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
I choose to handle the issues I have without resorting to ranting and lashing out at others like you are doing.

I'm further along than you are in the process. I too would spend countless hours trying to resolve issues. But I'm well past that point.

And if you look at my posts, I am not lashing out at anyone.

I am expressing my frustration with Apple. I am allowed to do that.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I totally agree. It’s time for the Apple-sphere to take a serious look at the decline in quality of Apple’s software. If we start pushing for it and *keep* pushing for it, they’re going to have to improve

I think Apple’s software has started to feel rushed. At first I thought it was just a fluke, or one of those mistakes that *did* happen under Steve Jobs (like the infamous iTunes 2 installer debacle that deleted people’s data) but it’s been consistent for years: Their software feels unfinished at launch, and lacks the sense of attention to detail and polish that made me like their software so much in the first place

Something *has* to change and we as customers have to start demanding it and stop making excuses for them

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
Apple's software quality has indeed downgraded over the years. I've been an apple user since 2006, and it's been getting worse every year.

But the competition, let it be Windows or Android, is slightly worse.
I agree but that’s the thing that sucks. I’d rather the competition be better. In the past Apple at least *seemed* like their goal was to be great, not just better than the competition (which sucks)

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
To me, macOS is way ahead of Windows. Windows 11 is nice, but after using it for a while, I just inevitably want to go back to macOS. And Apple Silicon vs. Intel/AMD, it's not even a competition. It feels like an entirely different type of computer.

iOS on the other hand...I've just found myself getting bored with it. iOS 15 was probably the most underwhelming update in a long time. Maybe the yearly updates have me expecting too much, but this is the first time in a while when I've really begun to wonder about the Android alternatives. I don't think I'm going to switch (too ingrained in the ecosystem especially with my strong preference for macOS and Apple Silicon), but it's not impressing me anymore. Even something as simple as the iOS keyboard. I was looking at the competition the other day and it made me realize how lacking the iOS keyboard is (why the big useless space at the bottom? why not the ability to move this space to the top or add a number row or at least the option to add shortcuts to frequently used emojis or symbols?) I'd like a little more customization. I know iOS has never been about customization, but the adding of widgets was a step in that direction and I'd like to see more. I'm convinced macOS is the best desktop OS, the M1 Pro/Max MBP is by far the best laptop, iPad is by far the best tablet, and the iMac is the best all-in-one desktop. But I'm not convinced iOS and the iPhone are the best mobile OS and smartphone anymore.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I contradicted myself in my title. As I said in earlier an earlier post, I still think Apple is the best. But they have lowered the bar for themselves.

While I agree we, as customers, should ask for more (we really should, why wouldn't we) - I don't think you should be frustrated by the current state of things. I honestly think Apple is actually *better* than it was in many ways.

- Their software is far from perfect, but it is actually more stable than it was. Do you remember when iOS updates actually bricked some phones? Or the instability of new OS X releases?

- The performance of their devices used to be very low after just 2 OS updates, these days they are great even after multiple years. I remember my iPad 3 on iOS 6. Or iPhone 4 after a two years. Compare that to iOS 15 and how it runs on older devices. Even iPhone 6S runs it relatively well.

- My older iPhones often had hardware issues, loose home buttons, faulty side buttons, etc. Didn't have any of these problems since iPhone 6S, and my iPhones X and 12 are still running amazingly well.

- Remember "you're holding it wrong"? Personally, I didn't have issues with my iPhone 4, but I can imagine the frustration of some users.

- Rembember iOS 7? I liked how it looked, but a lot of the design decisions made the devices more difficult to use. Now we have Apple that accepts feedback, reverts design changes that were not received well.... Both in software and hardware.

- Remember the state of Mac and how Apple treated the platform? Compare that to our current situation.

- Also, this new Apple gave us iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, which are amazing - and I'm not sure the "old" Apple would make something like that.

Seriously, Apple is better than ever. So while you might expect more (as is your right) - I really don't think they lowered the bar.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I'm further along than you are in the process.
What process?

I too would spend countless hours trying to resolve issues. But I'm well past that point.
Then I guess you are just going to be frustrated and angry, since you have given up. It is your choice and it appears that you have made that decision.

And if you look at my posts, I am not lashing out at anyone.

I am expressing my frustration with Apple. I am allowed to do that.
The tone of this thread has been one of ranting and not wanting to do anything else.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001

Your last line here illustrates the problem.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to create software, let alone an entire software ecosystem? The more complexity there is, the more things there are to break — and the more interactions there are to consider. And if there's one thing users expect, it seems to be more complexity. You all call them "features."

I'm critical of Apple on many things, but on this, the view must be pretty good from the cheap seats. Your opinion takes a blind eye to the realities of today. You'll call that "making excuses" I'm sure, but that would be circular. Comparing Apple stuff today to Apple stuff 10 years ago and trying to draw some sort of inference about whether QA/QC is "better" or "worse" is speculative at best unless you rigorously take a LOT more things into account.

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
My first iPhone was the 3GS. Currently, I own the iPhone 12 Pro. There have been many iPhones released between these two, the large majority of which I have owned. But the iPhone 12 Pro is the first of the iPhones that have left me completely disappointed. And as I research fixes and work-arounds to cope with the abundance of glitches, I have come to realize that it isn't the iPhone 12, but Apple in general whose quality has been on the decline.

Most recently, I began to research why Siri suddenly began asking me to repeat commands, right after saying "hey Siri". A quick search of the Apple discussion forums showed that over one thousand users had the same problem. And a Google search of the problem showed that this issue wasn't limited to the iPhone. There were people experiencing this issue with the Apple Watch and with Siri on the New MacBook Pro.

When the same problem spans many devices, the common denominator is coding. And this is sad as one of the most appealing things for me about Apple's products over the years has smooth and reliable operation of its devices.

It isn't a coincidence that these issues have become progressively worse since the passing of Steve Jobs. For Steve, the quality of the product was paramount. But since his passing, it seems that Apple's priority is about the bottom line and keeping shareholders happy, rather than the quality of the product.

Steve Jobs must be twisting in his grave.
I hear you but I feel that you are venting rather than recognizing the fact that everything, including iPhones, becomes more and more complicated. Also, I beg to differ with the implication that things were so smooth before and are crap now. I've spent decades dealing with Apple hardware and soft and trust me, they had worse moments than Siri's impatience.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
"Hey siri wash the dishes for me"

"Sorry I cannot do that"

"Apple is the worst! geez can't even get siri to wash the dishes for me!"

No phone even comes close to the 13 pro max. please point me in the direction of it and i may change my sim out.

Reactions: decafjava

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
iPhones are outdated by many standards really. It is why i stick to my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

There is no point of upgrading to a new iPhone, when the new iPhone is outdated by itself.

What are those standards you speak of? Please name a few.

Reactions: slplss

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
What are those standards you speak of? Please name a few.

Terrible zoom capabilities that phones from 5 years ago even beat, big ass notch, no reverse wireless charging, poor screen to bezel ratio, no under screen fingerprint scanner, ….

With the iPhone 13 Pro, you will still have to put in your code everything you want to unlock your phone with your mask on in 2022.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.