Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamran9558

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
This is simply ridiculous from Apple. They have jacked up the Apple one sub price yet again and this time it’s a full £5/month increase. They already increased the price by £3 a few months ago and now this is just too much.
This is no way in line with inflation and the customer is getting nothing additional either.
I am really thinking about cancelling my sub as I can’t justify the cost even though I use music and fitness + quite regularly.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
This is simply ridiculous from Apple. They have jacked up the Apple one sub price yet again and this time it’s a full £5/month increase. They already increased the price by £3 a few months ago and now this is just too much.
This is no way in line with inflation and the customer is getting nothing additional either.
I am really thinking about cancelling my sub as I can’t justify the cost even though I use music and fitness + quite regularly.
Pure greed. They do it because they can... and we let them get away with it.

They did the same thing w the stand-alone Apple TV subscription … went from $4.99 to $6.99, and now it’s $9.99. It’s obscene.

Last edited:

kamran9558

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010

They did the same thing w the stand-alone Apple TV subscription … went from $4.99 to $6.99, and now it’s $9.99. It’s obscene.
You are right. There is surely no reason other than greed. I will quit Apple one as soon as I’m able to find a suitable fitness + alternative.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
I just canceled my Apple One family subscription after a (very) brief discussion with all my members. We had two price increases here in Austria within one year, 15 percent and now 12 percent.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna

Yes that's absolutely crazy. But it's also how subscriptions work. First lure in lots of people with low prices, then gradually increase the prices to much higher levels.

Reactions: kamran9558

kamran9558

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I just canceled my Apple One family subscription after a (very) brief discussion with all my members. We had two price increases here in Austria within one year, 15 percent and now 12 percent.
I have done the same.

Reactions: O.N.Y.X

peter108

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
I just received my notification of the increase (from $32.95 to $37.95 USD). By giving up the Apple One services I seldom or never use (which I’ve learned, with the passage of time, is everything but 2TB of cloud storage ($9.99) and the Apple Music family plan (16.99)), I can go with the a la carte versions of these services and save $11/month. Buh-bye Apple One.

Last edited:

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
It’s a big increase, not really justifiable. Not sure whether to cancel or keep it. Of the various services I use Music, TV+, News and iCloud storage (mainly for photos as I use MS OneDrive for docs). Never use Arcade. Fitness was used when it first arrived but not so much these days. The family use Music, News and TV+ also. So in that context perhaps it’s still reasonable value?

Seems that all of these subscription services are doing the same so something has to give. For us that is Disney+. Just cancelled that.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Just cancelled mine and now only on Apple Music (family). Other stuff is not just not worth the extra cost for me.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I opted in for the moment, but will need to check to see if my wife is using this stuff. May drop back to Apple Music and iCloud, but have to see what those cost individually. I do look at magizines, but could live without it. It's one of those things that is there, so I use it, but dont think I would miss it. The price increases are just growing too fast.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It’s ridiculous. I did consider cancelling but when I looked at how much the services I used add up to (Apple Music family plan, iCloud storage, Apple News, Apple TV+) it wasn’t worth it.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Better of with Garmin anyway. Much better tracking and analytics, especially if you're into running and cycling, or swimming. The fitness stuff? Just do free Youtube videos. No clue why anyone ever pays for workout videos..

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
I just received my notification of the increase (from $32.95 to $37.95 USD). By giving up the Apple One services I seldom or never use (which I’ve learned, with the passage of time, is everything but 2TB of cloud storage ($9.99) and the Apple Music family plan (16.99)), I can go with the a la carte versions of these services and save $11/month. Buh-bye Apple One.
We did the same. Keeping Apple Music family and 200 GB iCloud storage. The games included with Arcade were nice two years ago but the quality is now subpar considering the increased price. Also, Apple TV+ is not competitive anymore with the jump in price. Other streaming services offer more and better content at similar or slightly higher price ranges.

Reactions: yellowbunny

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
We did the same. Keeping Apple Music family and 200 GB iCloud storage. The games included with Arcade were nice two years ago but the quality is now subpar considering the increased price. Also, Apple TV+ is not competitive anymore with the jump in price. Other streaming services offer more and better content at similar or slightly higher price ranges.
My wife also likes the magazines, so still locked in unless she decides to let those go. The individual prices are getting outrageous, too.

Changing these services would require a lifestyle change, and more inconvenience, which is easier when others aren’t also reliant on the services and devices like the homepod. I understand the strategy because they hook you on products that use their services then jack the price up. Great plan on their end, but really sucks for people relying on the ecosystem to just work. Will have to research other options before the next gouging.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My wife also likes the magazines, so still locked in unless she decides to let those go. The individual prices are getting outrageous, too.

Changing these services would require a lifestyle change, and more inconvenience, which is easier when others aren’t also reliant on the services and devices like the homepod. I understand the strategy because they hook you on products that use their services then jack the price up. Great plan on their end, but really sucks for people relying on the ecosystem to just work. Will have to research other options before the next gouging.

Not to mention that Apple bought Texture (the app on which the magazine portion of News is based) and then neutered it to the point that I found it unusable.

funinhounslow

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2017
In the UK (and I assume elsewhere) you have free access to newspapers and magazines with a library card via PressReader and Libby apps. Might negate the need for Apple News…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.