Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
1, perhaps a quick google or read of the story might have helped inform you.

2, if it's a warehouse then they don't need your keypad, they can just take the door down or bash the windows in. It's a silly analogy to use. They could easily open up the phone in this case but it wouldn't do them much good. Even if the guy said "by the way, I surrounded the entire perimeter wall with explosives and it'll trigger unless you enter the password at the door" the best they could do was a) convince him to talk, perhaps in the hope it'll be in his best interests b) get their best explosives techs on it or c) blow the place up to make it safe and abandon all hope of getting in.

3, say what? You've been watching the bill too much. You can't believe the police are actually legally allowed to torture someone? Also, physical coercion is probably useless against a terrorist intent on killing himself anyway. What can you actually threaten him with he wouldn't willingly give up?

You're right :)

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The plane will crash and kill hundreds and potentially thousands (depending where it lands) if bullets hit critical components.

Most passenger plane crashes do not kill anybody on the ground (a very few do). There's too much empty land, even near most airports. Most components on a plane are not critical (only some are). Read about old WW1 and WW2 planes returning with tons of big holes. A passenger jet recently landed with a big hole and only one person missing.

Reactions: Strider64

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
At least about the coffee... that actually had merit. You can't serve food at a molten, unsafe temperature. The woman suffered third-degree burns. There's hot coffee, and there's coffee that can actually put someone in the ICU. A paper cup and 180f+ liquid was, in fact, outside of the expectations of a reasonable customer. If I handed you a cup and said it's "nearly boiling" liquid, you would treat it differently than if I said it was a food product.

The US Legal System... ugh.
Wait what? Whenever I make tea, it's that hot.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Most passenger plane crashes do not kill anybody on the ground (a very few do). There's too much empty land, even near most airports. Most components on a plane are not critical (only some are). Read about old WW1 and WW2 planes returning with tons of big holes. A passenger jet recently landed with a big hole and only one person missing.

Are you seriously comparing WWI and II airplanes to modern pressurized passenger planes??? Really?!?

Yes that passenger jet landed with a hole. Hey some have even landed safely missing an engine! But that was due to great reaction by the flight crew.

You and I are discussing a surprise rush attack by terrorist. And passengers being able to react to this like trained professionals who will overcome tunnel vision. Hit multiple targets without hitting anything vital. Aircraft is not the place to test the "good guy with a gun" theory.

The best defense against aircraft hijacking is for the cockpit door to remain closed. For years Israel warned US airlines of this very thing. Before 9/11 I have personally witnessed pilots who had their cockpit door open during flight. And the door was flimsy at best. Today though those doors are beefed up and most importantly: REMAIN CLOSED DURING FLIGHT! Lesson learned

Reactions: CarlJ

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
I hope you read the opening of that whack-o article you linked to. I really hope you don't seriously believe the Twin Towers came down due to added explosions because the planes could not do it alone. It takes serious amounts of tin-foil hats to believe that.

I'm not going there, however, if one blindly believe what the government and the corporate media communicate then there is not much that will help.

Examine their history, their integrity, moral and character, also take a look at the police state they have created and the wars they are fighting all over the world. There is absolutely nothing that would indicate that these psychos can be trusted.

Still people trust them, there is an expression that describes the state of mind of the sheep that still belive that the people that privately own the Federal Reserve, your government, the congress, the senate, the Supreme Court, the main stream media, the pharmaceptical industries etc. etc etc. have anything but your best in mind. It's called cognitive dissonance.

Basically, the taking in of information, although it can be empirically proved, will be rejected if the consequence of this challenges an alreadey established "comfort zone". So, instead of looking at the matter at hand with a critical thinking perspective it's easier to reject it, based on nothing more than some memes implanted in the brain by Fox, CNN or some State Dep briefing.

Wrong. I agree that your privacy on your iPhone is your inherent right. However, when you mass murder innocents in cold blood, you lose that privilege. If your loved ones were among those that were murdered I'm sure you would change your defiant outlook. Let's not lose focus of the context here.

Research history and find that many many wars in history have been started by fabricated false flags, planned and executed with the sole purpose of aggression. You attack yourself, blame someone else and then attack them. You think the psychos ruling you are not capable of doing that today?

You want to talk mass murders? The US government and the sheeplike supporters have killed and are killing more people than any so-called terrorist organisation. In fact, there is ample evidence that the terrorist organisations they are fighting to "keep you safe" are created and supported by the same people that fight them.

The western world is run by a psychopathic criminal cartel who create the terror and then fight it, all for one purpose, to enslave you. Try reading 1984, that is how the world operates now.

With all respect, the mantra, give up your freedom and liberty because we fight massmurderers has been successfully implanted in peoples brains because people are no longer capable of critical thinking.

The psychos will only remain in power as long as you trust them, therefore they spend unlimited resources to make you believe them.

Educate yourself and stop acting like a zombie.

Reactions: Daria and thewap

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Why not just cut his hand off and pump blood through it/attach it to a pig and touch the phones Touch ID sensor? Boom unlocked
Aside from "that's bat*** cray cray", the crime was months ago, and the iPhone will demand a password if not unlocked via TouchID for more than a day or two.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I hope Apple really are not actually able do this.
Here are some technical comments from Jonathan Zdziarski:

http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=5638

Bottomline: It is probably possible for them to enable brute force attacks on the iPhone 5C by disabling the PIN entry delay and the "erase after 10 failed attempts" feature. It may not be possible for them to do the same on iPhone 5S or later since the PIN entry delay is enforced by the secure enclave on these newer devices, which even Apple may not be able to manipulate.

If I were Apple, I'd make sure that this kind of thing is technically impossible on the next phone if it isn't already ...

Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
The best defense against aircraft hijacking is for the cockpit door to remain closed. For years Israel warned US airlines of this very thing. Before 9/11 I have personally witnessed pilots who had their cockpit door open during flight. And the door was flimsy at best. Today though those doors are beefed up and most importantly: REMAIN CLOSED DURING FLIGHT! Lesson learned
The strong-and-locked door is good but the best defense would be one or two armed, undercover, Air Marshals on every flight. But that runs into a funny problem of, everyone will excitedly agree that "it's worth anything to be safe", but they'll change their minds when they see the cost to them of the added expense for Air Marshals, so instead we get the security theater of the TSA fondling passengers and confiscating nail clippers.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Glad Android users need not worry... There was a brief mention of of it, but Google backed off.

I think this is more need of the national guard at Cupertino than anything.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
People are assuming that Apple can load a Version of iOS that has auto wipe disabled.
This only works if you can load the OS on a locked device without wiping it.
Anybody using encryption today that wants security is using SHA256, which to date has no known collisions that allow decrypting. Brute force will give you nothing, because by the time you brute force it, we will be at least a few years down the road.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
You and I are discussing a surprise rush attack by terrorist. And passengers being able to react to this like trained professionals who will overcome tunnel vision. Hit multiple targets without hitting anything vital.

Untrained people hitting vital stuff may be less bad than the alternative. Planes crash. Flight 92 crashed, but did not kill any people in important federal buildings.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Anybody using encryption today that wants security is using SHA256, which to date has no known collisions that allow decrypting. Brute force will give you nothing, because by the time you brute force it, we will be at least a few years down the road.

A few years by the user, not the government.... That's totally different... The NSA wouldn't be using an average PC all users use today for cracking or what not.... They'd be using super computers.. So, i would think even brute force not not take then a few years .... maybe a few months.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
People are assuming that Apple can load a Version of iOS that has auto wipe disabled. This only works if you can load the OS on a locked device without wiping it.
They can (using the same method that is used to start iOS upgrades on the device).
Not if the the user had a 4-digit passcode (which probably most users do).
[doublepost=1455751074][/doublepost]
A few years by the user, not the government.... That's totally different... The NSA wouldn't be using an average PC all users use today for cracking or what not.... They'd be using super computers.. So, i would think even brute force not not take then a few years .... maybe a few months.
Brute force attacks have to run on the iPhone itself, since the user key needs to be combined with a hardware-protected key that cannot be extracted. But still, 4-digit passcodes can be cracked in less than half an hour.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
This is complete non sense, the shooters are dead we don't need to know anything more about them. Further any knowledge they could gain is useless in the context of an administration that allows criminals and terrorist into the country unchecked. The real problem here is Obama and is idiotic notion that criminals, gang members and terrorist will suddenly be good people if let into the US. Sadly this isn't the only case of this policy resulting in the death of good Americans.

As opposed to the 12,000 plus who are murdered by Americans each year.

You are far more likely to be killed by someone you know and trust than by a terrorist.
You are far more likely to be shot by US law enforcement than by a terrorist.

STOP being frightened , scared people make irrational decisions.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Even though there are things I don't like about post-Jobs Apple, their concern for privacy is one thing I have to give them credit for. I bet that they won't disable the auto-erase features and they certainly won't allow people without a password to access backuped data (assuming they save any of their data) just because of some stupid paranoid government.
Isn't there a compromise possible? Apple could simply provide the encrypted iCloud backup data to the FBI and then let the FBI decrypt that on a supercomputer. I mean, in principle, Apple could be served with a court order to search their servers. This can happen to individuals as well, even if they are not accused of any crime, if a judge considers seizing a computer as essential in an investigation, she or he can order it. Of course, in this case this wouldn't be as simple as seizing a computer. It would be more like seizing a data centre and without Apple's help finding the actual backup might not be easy for the FBI but then Apple might be inclined to hand over the encrypted backup data instead of having one of its data centres seized.

This would still require cooperation from Apple, ie, not any bad guy get to the backup (except by hacking into Apple's servers but that is a possibility regardless of whether Apple hands over the backup to the FBI or not) and a supercomputer.
[doublepost=1455754217][/doublepost]
They can (using the same method that is used to start iOS upgrades on the device).
You have to enter the passcode to start an iOS upgrade.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yes, but at that point the upgrade code is already on the device. Basically what they can do is to load signed code onto a ramdisk on the device and boot the device from that code in DFU mode. This does not require the passcode.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
The strong-and-locked door is good but the best defense would be one or two armed, undercover, Air Marshals on every flight. But that runs into a funny problem of, everyone will excitedly agree that "it's worth anything to be safe", but they'll change their minds when they see the cost to them of the added expense for Air Marshals, so instead we get the security theater of the TSA fondling passengers and confiscating nail clippers.

I think the US needs to learn that not every solution involves a gun.

There are other solutions:
1. Stop believing that you have the right to interfere in the politics of another country, you don't.

2. Learn that being an arsehole makes you disliked, the solution that this stage is to stop being an arsehole, as opposed to carry a gun.

3. You have failed repeatedly to learn that the guns you give to "freedom fighters" eventually get turned back against the US. Stop arming other countries/groups. The wars they endure kill far more than the regimes you try and change do.

4 When you interfere, go back and read 2. Stop being arseholes.

Your criminal system is one of the most punitive in the world, you have the MOST people locked up pre head of population than anyone else, and you have been doing this for generations. IF it actually worked, you would expect crime to be lower in the US, but its not, it is higher than other 1st world countries.

Reactions: You are the One

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Don't know if this was mentioned already. Possible UI bug could be what the FBI is looking for. Apple better fix this.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I'm not going there, however, if one blindly believe what the government and the corporate media communicate then there is not much that will help.

Examine their history, their integrity, moral and character, also take a look at the police state they have created and the wars they are fighting all over the world. There is absolutely nothing that would indicate that these psychos can be trusted.

Still people trust them, there is an expression that describes the state of mind of the sheep that still belive that the people that privately own the Federal Reserve, your government, the congress, the senate, the Supreme Court, the main stream media, the pharmaceptical industries etc. etc etc. have anything but your best in mind. It's called cognitive dissonance.

Basically, the taking in of information, although it can be empirically proved, will be rejected if the consequence of this challenges an alreadey established "comfort zone". So, instead of looking at the matter at hand with a critical thinking perspective it's easier to reject it, based on nothing more than some memes implanted in the brain by Fox, CNN or some State Dep briefing.

Research history and find that many many wars in history have been started by fabricated false flags, planned and executed with the sole purpose of aggression. You attack yourself, blame someone else and then attack them. You think the psychos ruling you are not capable of doing that today?

You want to talk mass murders? The US government and the sheeplike supporters have killed and are killing more people than any so-called terrorist organisation. In fact, there is ample evidence that the terrorist organisations they are fighting to "keep you safe" are created and supported by the same people that fight them.

The western world is run by a psychopathic criminal cartel who create the terror and then fight it, all for one purpose, to enslave you. Try reading 1984, that is how the world operates now.

With all respect, the mantra, give up your freedom and liberty because we fight massmurderers has been successfully implanted in peoples brains because people are no longer capable of critical thinking.

The psychos will only remain in power as long as you trust them, therefore they spend unlimited resources to make you believe them.

Educate yourself and stop acting like a zombie.
Ohhh conspiracy theorist...all shrouded in mystery and intrigue! Let me guess, Santa Clause is real and there's alien pyramids on Mars? Time to put the video game controller down, take off the tinfoil hat, and leave the basement apartment. Some fresh air will do wonders. If not, please seek help.

Last edited:

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
Well consider this: What is the only nation ever go so far to utilize nuklear bombs against civil targets - A clear war crime following the standards set in Nurnberg? Yep god's own country, the war state of america.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Untrained people hitting vital stuff may be less bad than the alternative. Planes crash. Flight 92 crashed, but did not kill any people in important federal buildings.

Yes. The people on the plane dying in a crash was MUCH better than dying while hitting an "important federal building."

How about: if the pilots had followed procedure an
Isn't there a compromise possible? Apple could simply provide the encrypted iCloud backup data to the FBI and then let the FBI decrypt that on a supercomputer. I mean, in principle, Apple could be served with a court order to search their servers. This can happen to individuals as well, even if they are not accused of any crime, if a judge considers seizing a computer as essential in an investigation, she or he can order it. Of course, in this case this wouldn't be as simple as seizing a computer. It would be more like seizing a data centre and without Apple's help finding the actual backup might not be easy for the FBI but then Apple might be inclined to hand over the encrypted backup data instead of having one of its data centres seized.

This would still require cooperation from Apple, ie, not any bad guy get to the backup (except by hacking into Apple's servers but that is a possibility regardless of whether Apple hands over the backup to the FBI or not) and a supercomputer.
[doublepost=1455754217][/doublepost]

FBI already has access to the iCloud account. What they want is a way to disable the security feature of iOS so they can brick force an iPhone.

Funny thing is it was the government that asked apple to prevent thieves from being able to do the very same thing.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yes. The people on the plane dying in a crash was MUCH better than dying while hitting an "important federal building."

You might have a different opinion if you or one of your family members (etc.) was in said important federal building. Or perhaps you would purposely neither aim for or away from a building full of people if you were at a burning aircraft's controls... because it's no better either way for just you yourself? It does make a big difference between you being a hero and a villain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.