Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Found a good article about the case and about iPhone-incremented encryption.

If you want to read the warrant:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2714001/SB-Shooter-Order-Compelling-Apple-Asst-iPhone.pdf

Since IOS 8 you can expand your Passcode to at least 6 positions and choose also alphanumeric and include special characters. on the iPhone in question IOS 9 is installed.

Even if you eliminate the automatic delay and you can execute a brute-force attack - a strong alphanumeric passcode with special characters will take 22 hours for a 4-position passcode and 10 years for 6 positions.

Until now they did not even try it because of the auto-wipe after 10 faulty tries.

I hope Tim Cook rests strong. And I hope it is the truth that apple destroys the internal passcode after installing them.
at least until 2012 they did NOT and the NSA/FBI could get them for every iPhone they wanted.

If Tim Cook was living in Russia, we would call them "Dissident" …. I am beginning to have more and more respect for him every day because of that… stay in your boots, Tim!

Last edited:
Reactions: MLVC

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Those two issues are completely and totally unrelated. You are fooled into beliveing that in order to stop the problem the government created themselves to begin with they have to take away your freedom and liberty. It's a scam.
Wrong. I agree that your privacy on your iPhone is your inherent right. However, when you mass murder innocents in cold blood, you lose that privilege. If your loved ones were among those that were murdered I'm sure you would change your defiant outlook. Let's not lose focus of the context here.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Sorry to burst the cowboy bubble, but there's actual data on this, and it doesn't agree with this particular NRA mantra.

"Burst the cowboy bubble"? I think he tried to insult me. :)

Well, you are so very wrong on this, and you are misleading people by repeating statistics created by the anti self defense lobby. By the way, the NRA (National Rifle Association, for those who don't know) is not seen by most people as the epithet that the liberal media thinks it is. It is the boogeyman most often used, but that's not really very effective...

...because every time there is a mass-shooting, people join the NRA and other self-defense organizations, and they join in droves. Every time there is a new terrorist attack in the US, France, Germany, the UK, or other places, people buy firearms for self protection. Well, maybe not in the UK; you can't even use a steak knife to protect yourself or your pregnant wife or girlfriend. In fact, you can't use anything at all to defend yourself in the UK.

Not being allowed to defend yourself or your loved ones should disgust everybody. But that's how it is in some countries. It began with getting civilians to self-disarm. Willingly. Now they go to jail if they try to defend self, family, or property. That's evil. How can that not be evil? If only the UK had an organization such as the NRA...

Here's an article about how gun sales rise after major terrorist attacks or mass-shootings. Why would this happen? Is it because with each new attack, more people realize that even if it was fully competent, the government could only do so much to protect us? I think so. I think people are starting to realize that the responsibility for our safety lies with us and not with a faceless bureaucracy.

Speaking of the faceless bureaucracy, people downright don't trust it. Here's an article from The New York Times about how President Obama is helping to increase gun sales. Interesting tidbit:

"The increase is mostly due to higher sales of handguns, which are typically bought for self-defense. Two of the fastest-growing segments of the market are women and gun owners with concealed carry permits."

Here's another article from Market Watch about how people in the US arm up whenever there's talk of lawmakers trying to restrict our 2nd Amendment rights.

"The debate about gun control has produced no concrete action. But it has shaken up gun supporters, who have rushed out to buy more weapons and sent(sic) more money to the NRA."

The take-home here is that people disagree with the talking points of liberals, media, (including the liberal media), and politicians who want to get you to give up your right to self-defense. People want the chance to defend themselves and their families, and all the faux statistics in the world won't change their minds.

- A good guy with a gun is statistically more likely to either shoot another good guy or be shot by another good guy than he is to actually shoot a bad guy.

This is so false, I think I should call "BS". o_O But even if it were true, don't you think you should have the RIGHT to try to defend yourself? I do. If you are an American citizen, you actually DO have that right.

Nobody can take it away from you (they will try) and although you can choose not to exercise it and you can choose to let your government prevent you from exercising it, you actually cannot give it up even if you wanted to. That's what "unalienable right" means, and if you really are pro 2A, you would know and understand this.

- A bad guy with gun scenario ends 2-3% of the time by a good guy with a gun, and 52% of the time of the bad guy's own accord.

If your 2-3% were true, I'D STILL TAKE THOSE ODDS! I would rather have a 2% chance to live than no chance at all, especially if attacked by a bigger, stronger, faster person. Or multiple persons. Or armed persons. Or a bear. Or dangerous animal. I would take that 2% and I cannot fathom why anybody would give that up. Willingly, even!

But in reality, your 2% assertion is patently false. You've taken the bait here and become a "true-believer" in the anti's talking points. The bad guy often stops his attack when the 2nd gun arrives on the scene, whether that 2nd gun is being held by military, law enforcement, a security guard, or a plain everyday citizen.

The bad guy(s) sometimes even shoot themselves when they are confronted by armed resistance. Attack stopped. Works for me. "Of their own accord," indeed. They stopped because they knew it was over, not because they just decided "of their own accord." If they stopped because armed resistance was brought to bear, then you can't count this as "just stopped," and your twist of words is misleading and disingenuous.

Sometimes an attack is stopped by the 1st gun to arrive on the scene, such as this case of an elderly lady coming home from the grocery store. To say she doesn't have the right to protect herself is nothing but unmitigated cruelty. Why would anybody deny a woman the right to defend herself? Even if it's "only 2-3%", she still has the right to try.

Here are 5 easy examples of good guys stopping attacks.
Here are some more examples from The Blaze.
If The Blaze is too conservative for you, here's a list by the Washington Post.

- A 1% increase in gun ownership results in a 0.9% increase in gun deaths (and no, it's not the bad guys doing the dying).

Also false! I have no idea where you come up with these numbers. I smell a template. Or Kool-Aid.http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/cnsnewscom-staff/more-guns-less-gun-violence-between-1993-and-2013
Gun homicides decline with increased gun ownership.
Here's an older article on The Daily Caller.
There's also an article on Forbe's, but I simply refuse to shut off my ad-blocker. I'll let you Google it.

And yes, I'm for the 2nd Amendment. The entire second amendment, including the often conveniently omitted bit about a well regulated militia.

Oh please. You're no more for the 2A than all the others who quote fake stats, or who use creative language to twist their meaning, such as you did with your attempt at "of the bad guy's own accord" above. You don't know the meaning of "well regulated militia" either, so the entire amendment just hasn't sunk in. Hint: It doesn't mean "government people only". Learn about your rights before you go laying down with your belly up for all the people who want to disarm you. Why would they try to make it so that you can't defend yourself? Why would acquiesce to that? Willingly, even?

But we digress...

Oh no, this is not a digression; not at all. I welcome this conversation because it is very very important, and it goes to the root of the problem, even with Apple's encryption. If you and I give up our right of self-defense to the almighty government, then what will companies like Apple infer from that? I'll tell you this: They'll infer that it's not an important issue to us, we don't care, and/or that it's not that big of a deal anyway, just let me go back to my iOS game of the day.

If we don't care, then what incentive does Apple have to protect our privacy? No, this issue with Apple is HUGE, and I and many others will be watching it very closely. Just how far is the US Federal government prepared to go to break our privacy? Just how strong or weak will Apple stand? If they fold, then there's really very little reason for a lot of us to stay.

We have a lot of complaints about Siri going Full Idiot, iTunes functionality being dumbed down every year, Macs and MacBook Pros coming in under expectations with every new refresh, OSX still having some missing or broken pieces, even after many years, and now TV shows being made to portray Apple executives' past violence to women in a good light. I'm not that easygoing; "he apologized" just doesn't cut it with me.

The only thing keeping some of us in the Apple camp IS the security. Disabling the "failures-before-wipe" feature is indeed a "back door" (or at least a side-window), and we shouldn't let anybody try to tell us otherwise. Without security, why should I spend $600+ on an iPhone or $2500 on a Mac and untold amounts more for accessories? I can easily go elsewhere to not get the same security anyway; but at least I could do it cheaper and avoid Siri's never-ending and perpetually hamhanded "fails". If Apple folds on this with the feds, it will be very foretelling and it will eliminate the one last thing that keeps me solidly on the iPhone.

I'll close with this: If only people could have fought back in Paris. What a sad, sad, heartbreaking way to die. Oh, God I wish they could have fought back for themselves. One person who was there and saw the killings firsthand thinks they should have been able to. If only some of the 1000 women attacked at New Year's in Cologne could have fought back. Well, now they're buying guns. At least they still can in Germany. And in Finland, too.

Oh sure, fighting back is no guarantee that you'll survive an attack. Your 2% is complete BS, but it doesn't really matter because I'd rather take my chances no matter how small the odds. Cowering in a closet, under a desk, hiding under a dead body...these "solutions" are handed out by governments around the world, but they're just not working for people. Watching your loved ones die in front of you? Is that really for you?

I think many are starting to see the light, and all the nay-saying fake stats quoting is just falling on deaf ears. People want to defend themselves because they know it's not working when the populace is disarmed, whether voluntarily or not.

Be strong, and stand up for your rights. :)

Reactions: thewap and Col4bin

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Apple are being asked to devise a new version of the OS that will disable the iPhone's security. But once they do that, all iPhones would be potentially at risk and that security would then mean nothing.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Apple just released a public letter on this matter: http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

Rooting for ya, Tim Cook!

thanks for the link.

if apple with the guidance of Tim Cook defies the law to create this tool to unlock the iphone encryption, i will be one of the many who will buy a new iphone 7 and get rid of my current android phone.

it does not take an educated person to realize the monumental significance of apple not complying with this order. by protecting apple consumers they have basically made it clear they will fight for my right to privacy.

im sold.

Reactions: CarlJ and satcomer

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Stay strong Apple.
There is no need to "stay strong". The whole point is that Apple has created encryption in such a way that nobody, including Apple, can break into your iOS device without the passcode. Apple will respond in the same way as I what respond: "Sorry, can't do it".

The judge was actually reasonably educated asking for a method that would unlock only that particular phone, but Apple can't. He asked to provide a software or firmware update that would allow unlocking. I'm sure Apple could create such a firmware or software update, but it cannot be applied while the phone is locked, so there you are stuck. (That's also the reason why you can't downgrade your iPhone to an earlier iOS version; because that earlier version might have security bugs that were fixed, so Apple doesn't want to enable hackers to downgrade a phone and then apply some hacks that were fixed later).
[doublepost=1455701714][/doublepost]
They want to enter an unlimited number of passwords, the only way I can think of this being done is if Apple installs a special OS on the devices that doesn't have the delete after 10 feature. At this point wouldn't just be easiest to install an OS that doesn't have passwords at all?
Except you can't install that OS while the phone is locked.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Wrong. I agree that your privacy on your iPhone is your inherent right. However, when you mass murder innocents in cold blood, you lose that privilege. If your loved ones were among those that were murdered I'm sure you would change your defiant outlook. Let's not lose focus of the context here.

A "right" is not just a mere "privilege". You're confusing these two words. Something is either it is a right or it is a privilege. It cannot be both.

Reactions: CarlJ

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If that happened to me, I might change my mind, but I wouldn't be a person anymore who is able to make a sound judgment on the matter. Not that it matters anyway, because Apple _can't_ unlock that phone.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
If that happened to me, I might change my mind, but I wouldn't be a person anymore who is able to make a sound judgment on the matter. Not that it matters anyway, because Apple _can't_ unlock that phone.
Apple has 5 days to respond to the judge's mandate. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
There is no need to "stay strong". The whole point is that Apple has created encryption in such a way that nobody, including Apple, can break into your iOS device without the passcode. Apple will respond in the same way as I what respond: "Sorry, can't do it".

The judge was actually reasonably educated asking for a method that would unlock only that particular phone, but Apple can't. He asked to provide a software or firmware update that would allow unlocking. I'm sure Apple could create such a firmware or software update, but it cannot be applied while the phone is locked, so there you are stuck. (That's also the reason why you can't downgrade your iPhone to an earlier iOS version; because that earlier version might have security bugs that were fixed, so Apple doesn't want to enable hackers to downgrade a phone and then apply some hacks that were fixed later).

I'm sure there are some pretty smart fellers at Langley that could "unflatten" an iPhone. They might want to do it in a big Faraday Cage, but they have great tools that you can't buy on iFixit, etc.

Forget it. The data on your iPhone is encrypted with a 256 bit key, and each file has a different key. 256 bit is absolutely impossible to crack, unless some major progress in maths is made.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

Apple just released a public letter on this matter: http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

Rooting for ya, Tim Cook!

What's interesting is that it reads as if they're refusing to try to do it on the grounds of privacy for the whole user base rather than dismissing the notion out of hand as being a physical impossibility.

It suggests perhaps, that some of the things we think we know about the security of our iPhones aren't exactly true - perhaps it is in fact possible for Apple to build such a back door and install it given time and their knowledge of what to look for. They don't say, it can't be done, period.

However, perhaps this open letter is a PR play pushing 1) apples stance on encryption and 2) sending a "please just go away and stop asking. We can't and we wouldn't if we could" message to government.

Reactions: JamesPDX

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
A "right" is not just a mere "privilege". You're confusing these two words. Something is either it is a right or it is a privilege. It cannot be both.
My point being that law-abiding citizens have a right to personal privacy on their electronic devices. However, IMO, if you mass murder innocents in a terrorist act, this right is now void, and you subject yourself to full disclosure as part of an investigation.

Reactions: JamesPDX

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
This is complete non sense, the shooters are dead we don't need to know anything more about them. Further any knowledge they could gain is useless in the context of an administration that allows criminals and terrorist into the country unchecked. The real problem here is Obama and is idiotic notion that criminals, gang members and terrorist will suddenly be good people if let into the US. Sadly this isn't the only case of this policy resulting in the death of good Americans.

This is the most irrelevant post in the thread. How do you possibly come to the conclusions above? Forget it. I don't care.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
However, when you mass murder innocents in cold blood, you lose that privilege.
That is not what its about. It is the consequences for the rest of us. Today everything is stored on the phone. Including passwords, intimate pictures, private/confidential documents, it even works as an access to banks and other institutions.
One has to trust that the government won't use any backdoors to exploit this information, however insincere persons, criminals or whoever who wants to harm you or just take advantage of these informations and accesses, will have the same access, because backdoors are available and will be found.

A terrorist will be able to blackmail or pressure you or others with this information and if you are in a weak situation be able to make you do the terror attack. Or imagine when your daughters pictures to her boyfriend suddenly are on every jailbait site in the universe and she commits suicide, just because it was decided that it would make it theoretically easier for FBI to press charges against a criminal. Or if someones steals your identity by using information stored on your device, or simply applies for a huge loan which kills your credit score and transfer the money to his/hers bank on a minor outlying island. We can go on and on...

As well in the future with internet of things and cars. Of which we already have seen the consequences of poor encryption. Imagine a cold blooded murderer being able to control your vehicle (be it a car, boat or plane)...

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
As well in the future with internet of things and cars. Of which we already have seen the consequences of poor encryption. Imagine a cold blooded murderer being able to control your vehicle (be it a car, boat or plane)...

If someone finds what you're saying difficult to imagine then I would advise them to seek out and watch 24 season 7.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
That is not what its about. It is the consequences for the rest of us. Today everything is stored on the phone. Including passwords, intimate pictures, private/confidential documents, it even works as an access to banks and other institutions.
One has to trust that the government won't use any backdoors to exploit this information, however insincere persons, criminals or whoever who wants to harm you or just take advantage of these informations and accesses, will have the same access, because backdoors are available and will be found.

A terrorist will be able to blackmail or pressure you or others with this information and if you are in a weak situation be able to make you do the terror attack. Or imagine when your daughters pictures to her boyfriend suddenly are on every jailbait site in the universe and she commits suicide, just because it was decided that it would make it theoretically easier for FBI to press charges against a criminal. Or if someones steals your identity by using information stored on your device, or simply applies for a huge loan which kills your credit score and transfer the money to his/hers bank on a minor outlying island. We can go on and on...

Pretty sure the FBI doesn't care about dick picks and cheating wives' snap chats. I'm all for personal privacy, just not when it comes to terrorists. I don't have all the answers but completely understand that Apple complying and cracking that phone fundamentally opens Pandora's box.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Pretty sure the FBI doesn't care about dick picks and cheating wives' snap chats. I'm all for personal privacy, just not when it comes to terrorists. I don't have all the answers but completely understand that Apple complying and cracking that phone fundamentally opens Pandora's box.
And I am not talking about what the FBI cares about, but what others will be able to use the backdoors for, including potential terrorists.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
5:4 and for the first time in history.

Once the Supreme Court makeup changes it is likely to be overturned given how embarrassing guns have become for America.
[doublepost=1455695977][/doublepost]

Unfortunately with mathematics there is no way to just allow terrorists phones to be unlocked.
I understand that, but I don't understand the people suggesting apple shouldn't even be helping the FBI. Privacy is one thing, but allowing technology to help crime and hinder law enforcement baffles me.

Reactions: Eraserhead

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
...because every time there is a mass-shooting, people join the NRA and other self-defense organizations, and they join in droves. Every time there is a new terrorist attack in the US, France, Germany, the UK, or other places, people buy firearms for self protection. Well, maybe not in the UK; you can't even use a steak knife to protect yourself or your pregnant wife or girlfriend. In fact, you can't use anything at all to defend yourself in the UK.

As someone complaining about not being mis-led your doing exactly what with your statement about the UK. You can 100% defend yourself against others in the UK. If someone comes at you and you feel endangered you can use reasonable means to stop it.
What you can't do is when someone comes to punch you is shoot them, or shoot them if they are running away from you because that would be wholly dis-propionate.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
And I am not talking about what the FBI cares about, but what others will be able to use the backdoors for, including potential terrorists.
No easy answers here, bud. The more technology progresses, more opportunities exist for backdoor exploitation perpetrated by the "good" or "bad" guys.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
You really miss the point. The right to bear arms was put in to defend against tyrannical, oppressive regimes. Had the colonists not been armed we would have never broken free from the tyranny of King George. No amount of laws are going to keep crazy/unstable people from harming others with whatever means they find most convenient. If not guns, they will use knives, broken bottles, slingshots, bow and arrows...you name it.

No, I didn't miss the point. The person I responded to is in the UK, not the US. Different laws, different traditions.

This is not about the right to bear arms, but the alleged necessity to arm all citizens. The notion that only by carrying arms in the street (such as the Open Carry laws) can citizens be free or safe. Presumably, government can't be trusted to keep us safe, so we must take this into our own hands. This isn't about a rifle over the fireplace that may be grabbed if the US Army invades Ohio. This is about resisting crazies by militarizing the population.

Presumably we have a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. Even when our particular viewpoint fails to carry the election. We provide for the common defense. We write laws, operate courts of justice, and we strive to form a more perfect union. "Every man is an army" means all of that has failed.

Why are "crazies" crazy? Because they're unpredictable, and do not fear what others fear. If you do not fear death, you do not fear partygoers with handguns - you show up with bigger weapons. You do your best to catch your targets off-guard (what did you think that term means?). If you can't succeed with small arms, it's time to bomb!

There is an irrational belief that any failure to reduce crime to zero (or software defects to zero) is a criminal failure. "If only I was in charge, perfection would be achieved." Wrong. "If I was there with a gun, the bad guys would give up!" Delusion. The first time most people stare death in the face they crap their pants and fall on their bellies. Ask anyone who's seen combat. And if those scared people start shooting, they're not likely to "be sure of your backstop" or be sure of who is friend and who is foe, or to take careful aim. Do we really need a rash of "Friendly Fire" incidents?

Bad things will happen, no matter what. Zero tolerance for failure is simply an excuse for intolerance. No matter how high you build a wall, there will be a weakness. Next time, instead of a holiday party at a social services office, it'll be a Little League baseball game or a maternity ward, a laundromat or grocery store. Someday we all die. Should it matter whether it's a car crash, arterial plaque build-up, a meteor fragment, or a chunk of hot lead? What it comes down to is that we want it to happen later, rather than sooner, and that the more exotic the death, the more fascinated we are. How many die annually in highway accidents vs. how many die annually at the hands of religious fanatics or Great White Sharks? Maybe we should start shooting at reckless drivers!

That's not to say I don't disagree with you about the 2nd Amendment as well. The notion that individual states could rise up against an oppressive federal government was a clear underpinning of the war of 1860 (by whatever name you wish to call it - The American Civil War, The War Between the States, The War of Northern Aggression...). I can't help but see that the original doctrine of States Rights was formulated to perpetuate human slavery. When the American Colonies declared their independence from England, the moral justification was they deserved all the rights and freedoms of Englishmen, rights that had been trampled and denied to them. Did the Southern States believe slaves had a 2nd Amendment right to bear arms and overthrow an oppressive government? Hardly.

I don't see guns as a necessary agent of domestic freedom. I see the 2nd Amendment as a danger to every other Article and Amendment to the Constitution. The power to resist by force of arms has routinely been used to perpetuate injustice and over-ride the ballot box. Lincoln's assassins considered themselves constitutionally-empowered patriots. But as with other constitutional rights, we have to take the bad with the good. Right?

I can accept the notion, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state..." A militia is necessary to defend a free state from external enemies - the British didn't stay away for very long. It needs to be well regulated - not an ad-hoc band of self-appointed "patriots." Many cite the traditional Englishman's history of rebellion, though most of those rebellions involved feudal lords battling for position, or the letting of blood in the name of god. So, we abolished feudalism and royalty, enshrined religious neutrality (well, unless you were polygamists), provided checks and balances on nearly every kind of historic abuse of the citizenry... The only time rebellion can be justified would be if the constitutional government had been overthrown (and "overthrown" doesn't mean "my side lost the last election"). That's the difference between the rule of law and mob rule. It's the difference between defending a free state from its enemies, and being the enemy of that free state. It's "The people govern themselves," not "the people with guns govern the rest."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.