Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
This is complete non sense, the shooters are dead we don't need to know anything more about them. Further any knowledge they could gain is useless in the context of an administration that allows criminals and terrorist into the country unchecked. The real problem here is Obama and is idiotic notion that criminals, gang members and terrorist will suddenly be good people if let into the US. Sadly this isn't the only case of this policy resulting in the death of good Americans.

Reactions: dhubb51 and jjm3

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Apple will eventually cave in to government pressure.

Remember when the government blamed Apple for people stealing iPhones? This is where "Activation Lock" was born. They'll create some way to give the government what they want.

Renzatic

Suspended
This is complete non sense, the shooters are dead we don't need to know anything more about them. Further any knowledge they could gain is useless in the context of an administration that allows criminals and terrorist into the country unchecked. The real problem here is Obama and is idiotic notion that criminals, gang members and terrorist will suddenly be good people if let into the US. Sadly this isn't the only case of this policy resulting in the death of good Americans.

No. The real problem with terrorists is that they, like serial killers, look like everyone else. The refugees we're taking in (which haven't arrived yet, by the way), are going through at least a two year screening process before they even set foot on our soil. The vast majority of these people will be those feeling their war torn homes for a better life here. Hell, a good number of them might end up going back home once things settle down. Should we worry ourselves because a handful may be terrorists.

How can you tell one from the other without knowing what they're thinking? Do we deny thousands of potentially good people to save ourselves from the 5-10 that might not be? Would doing so be an act of responsibility, or a kind of cowardice?

And yeah, we do want to get at this guy's information because, hey, he might have a couple of friends.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
This is 100% correct.

The problem is not who has access to our personal data, but bad guys having guns and good guys not having guns.

This is why terrorist attacks in SB, on US military bases, in England, France, and other countries has been successful. The bad guys kill without remorse and the population, having been disarmed, just die. In GB, you can't even defend yourself with a stick or you'll be sent to prison. Civilian disarmament is killing us all around the world.

Oh, god. The stupidity of human being thinking they could actually have positive effect with a gun. Lets get the few basics straight. First of all, attack on military base is not from of terrorism. Attack on civilian population is terrorism.

Without extensive antiterrorist training you can do no good with a gun. Most likely a single or multiple civilians carrying a guns will be shot along with other casualties. Anti terrorist activities require coordinated action to take place. This is not possible when you have gun pointed at your head.

I've served in military and I have received extensive anti terrorist training. So please, drop your "carry" arguments. They a full of **** and don't work in real life hostage situations. This is a proven fact.

Reactions: Wondercow and mw360

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
It's just a matter of time until strong encryption will be declared illegal. In the future, if you're using encryption you must be a criminal. Ordinary people have nothing to hide anyway.

First signs of this very near future have already appeared in the UK and New York.

Privacy is already a privilege nowadays, encryption will be next.

While most people will argue that they trust their current government, have nothing to hide, and thus are willing to sacrifice encryption and privacy for their own alleged greater security and protection from e.g. crime and terrorism, these ordinary people never assume that the currently accepted politics can change anytime.

Once a new tool (i.e. total surveillance, backdoors) is out there it can and will be used against you.

History offers good examples what happens if allegedly good tools end up in bad hands:
For example, Germans did a population census on June 16, 1933. Questionnaires also collected individual religious affiliations. Sadly we know today how that information was later used against the interviewee.

And yet there was nothing to hide.

tl;dr Politics change. What may seem harmless today can be dangerous tomorrow. German census collected religious affiliations. Data was later used to commit holocaust.

Last edited:

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
This is a silly statement.

I am not saying I agree with the OP, but if the other passengers on the planes that crashed into the towers were strapped, maybe the Twin Towers would still be there.

Again, I am not saying open carry for everyone.

Guns shoot bullets, yes? I've worked around planes quite a bit. And one thing I know.... Bullets flying around on a plane in flight won't end well.

Reactions: rp2011

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
It's only a matter of time before Apple caves in and cooperates with the government, that's what left leaning companies in the most liberal State do. Everything prior to giving in is pure posing to please their customers. Liberals and Progressive are the ones that love and support big spending and big government. More taxes more laws.

Except reality.
The reality is that the right created the Patriot Act and are the ones who support Apple give them a back door.
Reality doesn't fit your contrivance.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Except reality.
The reality is that the right created the Patriot Act and are the ones who support Apple give them a back door.
Reality doesn't fit your contrivance.

Oh whatever, invasion of privacy is one of the few things that has bipartisan support in DC.

Meanwhile, this case will be very interesting to follow, because it has the potential to set a lot of precedents going forward.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Apple doesn't own the phone and Apple didn't commit the crime, so why is Apple being treated like the criminal? It's the responsibility of law enforcement to deal with evidence and criminals. Out of all the stuff they impounded from the California site, if they just have to have the info on a phone, they aren't very capable investigators.

Dale

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Ok.....

How did you draw a line from these murderes to Obama??? Stretch logic much?

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Well this should be interesting to see the courts and government at war with Apple:apple: **grabs popcorn and actual Apple to snack on and watch as **** hits the fan lol **

Although the judges ( and FBI's ) logic is flawed I'd assume their thought process is something like:
Apple created the phone
Apple created the design
Apple created the code
Apple created the encryption
Apple suppliers built parts of the phone
etc

Ergo whom is in a better position to find, or create a Blackdoor or at least find/create a way to disable or circumvent certain security functions

Not saying its entirely flawless reasoning or right either. In fact there are some moral and ethical problems at the very idea. Seems like if Apple were even willing to comply it seems unreasonable to expect them at any costs to potentially undermine what integrity they may have.

Would like to know what they the judge included define as "reasonable technical assistance"

Sadly it probably will and doesn't bode well for Apple. The government and law enforcement are far from always right and unfortunately in this case they don't seem willing or likely to drop it or let things go anytime soon.

I foresee a long asf drawn out legal battle with the maximum amount of appeals or refilling possible on up thru the highest courts and possibly trying to get the president and true highest powers involved if they're stubborn and hell bent enough

Their thought process goes, Apple owns the SW and can therefore be compelled to unlock it or face the consequences of not doing so.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
My trust for Apple has sky rocketed today because of this. While I understand that there is a chance that some things on that phone might help the FBI, there is also a chance that this could open Pandoras Box and the government will want more and more from Apple in the future. I sincerely hope they fight this court order and do not do it.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
It wont be any government that ends Apple's privacy protections, it will be people who sue for billions when the next attack happens and they find iphones on the dead bodies of the attackers.

Before you saw that wont happen,... Lots of people couldnt believe a man sued over hot coffee and won, or wealth could be an excuse a kid uses to get away with murder.

At least about the coffee... that actually had merit. You can't serve food at a molten, unsafe temperature. The woman suffered third-degree burns. There's hot coffee, and there's coffee that can actually put someone in the ICU. A paper cup and 180f+ liquid was, in fact, outside of the expectations of a reasonable customer. If I handed you a cup and said it's "nearly boiling" liquid, you would treat it differently than if I said it was a food product.

The US Legal System... ugh.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
This is 100% correct.

The problem is not who has access to our personal data, but bad guys having guns and good guys not having guns.

This is why terrorist attacks in SB, on US military bases, in England, France, and other countries has been successful. The bad guys kill without remorse and the population, having been disarmed, just die. In GB, you can't even defend yourself with a stick or you'll be sent to prison. Civilian disarmament is killing us all around the world.

I get it. Peace hasn't eradicated all use of deadly force, so peace has failed. "Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!"

I'd rather die like a sheep than live in a world where everyone needs to be armed.

Real life, true situation. A family friend kept a licensed handgun in his cash register. He'd been robbed, he was determined to defend his own. An unarmed customer came in, got into an argument over the bill, and that normally jovial family friend emptied his gun into the customer.

That is not the kind of world I want my children to live in. A world where a relative handful of crazies may open fire is one thing. A world where anyone, at any moment, may open fire is entirely something else. That's a state of war, a state of siege.

When everyone carries a Glock at his/her hip, how will I separate potential defender from potential attacker? Will they signal their intent by the color of their hats? No, I'd have to consider everyone with an openly-carried gun to be a potential threat, and everyone who may have a concealed weapon to be an even greater threat.

l'd need to be mentally prepared and regularly trained to return deadly-accurate fire on a moment's notice; to accurately distinguish between friend and foe; to behave in such a way that no other armed citizen would accidentally or intentionally open fire... And god help me when my reflexes inevitably decay. No country for old men, indeed!

The fact that armies possess weapons has not deterred war. Police are not immune from attack. Fortified cities are besieged and taken. Armed gangs attack armed gangs. I'm quite sure the majority of Iraqis and Syrians do not believe war is the answer.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
This is tough for me. On one hand I want my device to be secure. One the other hand I want to stop terrorists etc.
Good point. Who is a greater threat to freedom? Terrorists or those in authority who want to confiscate the privacy (and also other) rights of everyone in the name of terrorism. All this gets so layered with so many loopholes that you can be assured all that is left is the allusion of freedom. Just think about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.