Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Yeah, because it worked out really well for all those people carrying guns in the Twin Towers.

This is a silly statement.

I am not saying I agree with the OP, but if the other passengers on the planes that crashed into the towers were strapped, maybe the Twin Towers would still be there.

Again, I am not saying open carry for everyone.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

I am not saying I agree with the OP, but if the other passengers on the planes that crashed into the towers were strapped, maybe the Twin Towers would still be there.

LOL. Because guns on planes are a really good idea.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009

guns on planes great idea. one of the best ever. lets have open carry on planes what could possibly go wrong?

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
If FBI is struggling with gaining access to an iOS device, that is a good thing. It shows Apple is taking customer privacy seriously.
It is sad to see some people on here even mull the idea of a backdoor because of a terrorist. Seriously, you would give terrorists the power to take away your rights. Thank goodness most of us won't cave so easily.

EgbertAttrick

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
This is not a political move. This is an instance. Let me try to give you a non-tech example.

Instead of phones, let's talk about safes. Old, 1920s safes that Wile E. Coyote might try to drop on the roadrunner.

Here goes. A man may have some incriminating evidence in his safe. The sheriff has good reason to believe it's there. He calls a locksmith. He is stumped. He calls the manufacturer. They say they may be able to access the safe, but it would make them lose business to just willy-nilly start opening people's safes.

The sheriff goes to the courthouse and asks for a warrant to search the safe. Now that there is legal reason, the manufacturer helps the sheriff get into the safe. That is all that is happening, here.

You folks who think it is political... It would be some crappy government skeeze if the situation was similar to above except...

When the sheriff goes to the judge to ask for help with this particular safe, the judge then orders that the sheriff now has the same type of access to all safe.

That is not what is happening, so stop acting like every one-off situation is the same as some Orwellian dystopian Hell-future.

Last edited:
Reactions: duervo

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If they have access to a previous icloud backup they could go to the e-mail provider and get the e-mails that way. Same with phone numbers. Although they probably can't get imessages without unlocking the phone.

And let's not forget, the reason Apple and Google started encrypting stuff was because the NSA tried to secretly vacuum up all of our metadata and store it on their servers without bothering to ask the American people how they felt about it.

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Concealed carry permits can be obtained in California as well as SB cityand county. Firearms, when properly licensed and obtained are also legal. A quick search of gun shops shows half a dozen in SB proper. The population hasn't been disarmed there. There are stricter restrictions there though, than say Texas. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?

TECHNICALLY you can obtain a conealed carry permit in Calfornia. In practice...you essentially cannot. The first two guidelines in allowing a permit to be issued in California are as follows:

1. Upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character
2. That good cause exists for the issuance

So it's essentially up to the issuing body (local law enforcement Chief) whether or not you are "of good moral character" and that "good cause." In reality, you cannot obtain a CCW permit in Calfornia unless you know someone or own a gun shop.

Reactions: extrachrispy

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
The dead have no privacy.

But the good and honest people are still alive. If Apple starts building back doors in our phones then the bad guys can hack our phones. It's a messed up situation because you want to do right but you harm the innocent.
If I lost my iPhone today I feel 100% confident that my identify and information is safe. It also cuts down on the crooks that steal from us in the first place. I hate to be in Tim Cooks shoes right now because it's not a easy situation. No one here can say that they have the answer.

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
IMO, this is the most important line in this story (via CNN):

The phone is owned by the county and authorities have consent as well as a warrant to retrieve data from the device, notes CNN.

If the actual owner of the device consents to the search AND a valid warrant has been issued, I don't see an issue with Apple assisting. It doesn't mean they have to give the government a backdoor or even assist in the future if the owner doesn't give consent.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
It's only a matter of time before Apple caves in and cooperates with the government, that's what left leaning companies in the most liberal State do. Everything prior to giving in is pure posing to please their customers. Liberals and Progressive are the ones that love and support big spending and big government. More taxes more laws.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
There were hundreds of terrorist attacks that happened before cell phones even existed.

Terrorists will find a way.

Do you still wanna give up your security/privacy?

They will/have used sat com.

They will/have used code books/language.

They will/have used everything the US and others have used basically.

yes the people with the bombs strapped to them waiting to collect their harem of virgins are idiots. They have handlers and higher ups...who aren't idiots. They watched james bond movies too. Some in prior experience have also been trained by advisors (US even) most likely. basics of intel and counter intel....they have this.

Some need to remember these people keep stuff from less politically correct (to use the phrase) entities. Mossad doesn't have the same ROE (rules of engangement) the US does an understatement.

People also seem to forget they recruit from higher education schools too. They draw in some college educated peeps. Some of them are science/technical fields.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
This is tough for me. On one hand I want my device to be secure. One the other hand I want to stop terrorists etc.

Don't worry, you are far more likely to be shot by a US police officer than killed by a terrorist.

"
The March, 2011, Harper‘s Index noted:

Number of American civilians who died worldwide in terrorist attacks last year: 8 — Minimum number who died after being struck by lightning: 29."

Cows kill an average of 22 people in the US each year

High school and college football injuries claim an average of 12 lives annually.

Approximately 5,000 people die each year in the U.S. alone as a result of consuming uncooked, contaminated food.

Bee stings kill about 100 people in the U.S. every year.

About 600 people are killed in the U.S. each year from excessively cold weather.

450 people die falling out of beds in the United States each year. A real life nightmare.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I always put user security over convenience when it comes to privacy, but In this case, the police have a warrant, and they're not asking Apple to put permanent backdoors into their software for easy access to law enforcement. They're just saying that Apple has to help them find a way to bypass the locks on the phone, which is far more palatable.

I suppose the good side of this could be that Apple will know what they have to do for iOS 10. :)

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
This is not a political move. This is an instance. Let me try to give you a non-tech example.

Instead of phones, let's talk about safes. Old, 1920s safes that Wile E. Coyote might try to drop on the roadrunner.

Here goes. A man may have some incriminating evidence in his safe. The sheriff has good reason to believe it's there. He calls a locksmith. He is stumped. He calls the manufacturer. They say they may be able to access the safe, but it would make them lose business to just willy-nilly start opening people's safes.

The sheriff goes to the courthouse and asks for a warrant to search the safe. Now that there is legal reason, the manufacturer helps the sheriff get into the safe. That is all that is happening, here.

You folks who think it is political... It would be some crappy government skeeze if the situation was similar to above except...

When the sheriff goes to the judge to ask for help with this particular safe, the judge then orders that the sheriff now has the same type of access to all safe.

That is not what is happening, so stop acting like every one-off situation is the same as some Orwellian dystopian Hell-future.

The thing people worry about is the very real likelyhood this gets abused. Once it's out of the bag who protects people's civil rights?
It will set a bad precedent that Americans do not have a right to privacy.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
This is tough for me. On one hand I want my device to be secure. One the other hand I want to stop terrorists etc.

Terrorist argument is not valid one here. The international terrorists are not using modern communication methods. Instead, they use their trusted men, their curriers. Even homegrown terrorists threats couldn't be prevented since the use of technology is very limited. In reality, the only way this data could be used if governments of the world started mass monitoring all of the communication of their citizens. With Prism this was already achieved. Since this was very much a criminal effort one should not be surprised to see heavy encryption on personal devices. Lets put it this way, governments of the world fu*ked it up big time and now they have to take their medicine.

Reactions: jjm3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.