Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider cites analyst reports indicating that iPod and Mac stocks are the highest they've been in a year.

In fact, for the first time in over a year, there is enough stock of all of Apple's major products -- both Mac and iPod -- that even the company's often-neglected value added retailers can get most products on demand. The only exceptions appear to be the new iMac G5 and the Special Edition U-2 iPod, both of which appear to be lingering just below a supply and demand balance.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
What are the sales like? Are they up, down, or the same? If they're down, this news isn't terribly impressive, but if they're up this is amazing news. If they're the same...it's good but not great.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
masterapple04 said:
First post - woot! Sounds like Apple has finally got their act together! :cool:

or. . .

a) Sales have fallen off this quarter. Uncool.

b) They are building up supplies in expectation of high demand due to heavy marketing.

I don't know which to believe. :rolleyes:

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
wrldwzrd89 said:
What are the sales like? Are they up, down, or the same? If they're down, this news isn't terribly impressive, but if they're up this is amazing news. If they're the same...it's good but not great.

Well said. It would be nice to not play the waiting game when ordering a product however a good supply of what they have indicates that updates aren't on their way. Here's to hoping for something completely new.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Freg3000 said:
Yeah this seems like a bad thing to me...lots of inventory = no updates at WWDC?

All these products have been updated recently and wont be needing updating at WWDC. I'm just hoping for a tablet iBook...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Any guesses as to whether the iPod will retain "#1 wishlist" status this upcoming Christmas season? Last year, I believe it was the iPod mini, this year, it very much could be the iPod shuffle.

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
dotdotdot said:
You would think the iMac G5 would have the most demand...

Why? It's extremely expensive and lacks significantly compared to its PC counterparts.

If you are going to spend $1000+ on a computer, I think the vast majority are going to be fairly clued up on what they are buying. They will look at the specs and see they lack majorly compared to Dell, HP, or Mr. Whitebox.

Don't say the software is better because frankly people don't trust bundled software anymore after years of crap from the PC makers. They need to be educated on this, but they are simply not.

I think Apple needs to cut the PowerMac prices significantly, and perhaps the iMac's soon.

What I do think would be a very good idea to clear out all this inventory they have is a '$100' iPod deal. Buy an iMac, get an iPod for $100. It'd work better than a simple price cut of $150 (the 'loss' in terms of the iPod sticker) and would be a great upsell (Welcome to the Apple Store. You want an iPod? Well.. take a look at this great deal: shows a great iMac with an iPod for less than half price).

Well, I don't know. Seems like a good idea to me ;).

Well, this means either-

A. Apple isn't selling that much, or

B. Apple decided they want maximum availibility of their products.

Given the lack of B through apple history, I'm doubtful.

Whichever the cause, this can be said for certain-ideal for any company is to produce exactly enough at exactly the right time. Excess product means, be it through growth that's not there, or shrinkage, that you thought times would be better than they are.

No?

So I vote bad on this, because apple's plan was, by simple logic, either to have enough, but no excess, or to have to few, and so keep hype and apple love going, and minimize the risk, too. And, buisness isn't going according to plan. Hence, not good.

MikeBike

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2004
aldo said:
Why? It's extremely expensive and lacks significantly compared to its PC counterparts.

If you are going to spend $1000+ on a computer, I think the vast majority are going to be fairly clued up on what they are buying. They will look at the specs and see they lack majorly compared to Dell, HP, or Mr. Whitebox.

Don't say the software is better because frankly people don't trust bundled software anymore after years of crap from the PC makers. They need to be educated on this, but they are simply not.

I think Apple needs to cut the PowerMac prices significantly, and perhaps the iMac's soon.

What I do think would be a very good idea to clear out all this inventory they have is a '$100' iPod deal. Buy an iMac, get an iPod for $100. It'd work better than a simple price cut of $150 (the 'loss' in terms of the iPod sticker) and would be a great upsell (Welcome to the Apple Store. You want an iPod? Well.. take a look at this great deal: shows a great iMac with an iPod for less than half price).

Well, I don't know. Seems like a good idea to me ;).

Aldo, aldo aldo, what did you just do buy Dell StocK?

If you're considering a Mac then there's No Comparision to a PC.
It's the Hardware and the SOFTWARE. You keep forgetting.
Plus, the slow recovery from Paranora. No Virus's no spyware no problems.

Really, you've got to do better Trolling than that.

MikeBike

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2004
Virus Email Infestations...

MikeBike said:
Aldo, aldo aldo, what did you just do buy Dell StocK?

If you're considering a Mac then there's No Comparision to a PC.
It's the Hardware and the SOFTWARE. You keep forgetting.
Plus, the slow recovery from Paranora. No Virus's no spyware no problems.

Really, you've got to do better Trolling than that.

Aldo, Aldo, Aldo, like it or not This is the Issue:
http://www.theregister.com/2005/06/02/virus_exposure_stats/
It's the Software and the Hardware, as in Not Able to Execute an .exe.

:)

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Ever item in the Apple store is showing same day delivery.

This does not bode well for WWDC.

I suspect there will be some very disappointed folks this time next week, myself included.

ja0912

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
BWhaler said:
Ever item in the Apple store is showing same day delivery.

This does not bode well for WWDC.

I suspect there will be some very disappointed folks this time next week, myself included.

I happen to think this means there will be some very surprised and happy folks next week. The ONLY product due (not updated in the last 6 months) for an update are iBooks, but they really have no where to go with Powerbooks being what they are.

Signs that all current products are in good supply, to me, means a good chance for brand new products.

I personally find that prospect the most exciting.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
ja0912 said:
I happen to think this means there will be some very surprised and happy folks next week. The ONLY product due (not updated in the last 6 months) for an update are iBooks, but they really have no where to go with Powerbooks being what they are.

Signs that all current products are in good supply, to me, means a good chance for brand new products.

I personally find that prospect the most exciting.

Honestly. Since everything is in supply, the only thing possible is a brand new product. Bring it on.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
MikeBike said:
It's the Software and the Hardware, as in Not Able to Execute an .exe.

Considering the ridiculous rate that worms and viruses spread through email attachments that people open without thinking of the security risks, maybe not being able to execute an .exe isn't a bad thing.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
aldo said:

Wrong. Go build a system at Dell and you'll soon find they're the same price. ;)

O and this is not good news, this is bad. When a company has an overstock that means they planned ahead to much and the sales just aren't there. It also means that the company may have to make up for the money lost on unsold systems. Watch the stock ticker tomorrow and you'll see what I mean if the media gets hold of this.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Man, lots of complaints in the past that Apple needs to fix their supply problems (especially before a media blitz) and now that it seems they've done that, it's still not good? They just can't win...

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
dejo said:
Man, lots of complaints in the past that Apple needs to fix their supply problems (especially before a media blitz) and now that it seems they've done that, it's still not good? They just can't win...

Agreed. I'd much rather see a healthy supply in the channel than weeks of waiting for a product. And perhaps this rumored big media blitz is indeed coming very soon and that's why they've allowed their inventories to increase.

fox2005

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
Lima, Peru
Daveway said:
Wrong. Go build a system at Dell and you'll soon find they're the same price. ;)

O and this is not good news, this is bad. When a company has an overstock that means they planned ahead to much and the sales just aren't there. It also means that the company may have to make up for the money lost on unsold systems. Watch the stock ticker tomorrow and you'll see what I mean if the media gets hold of this.

I remember reading last week of apple supply problems and its failure to keep up with the market or beeing to conservative with their predictions... Now its totally the other way...

c'mon people can just we have a 1 month intermediate spot. They revamped their manufacturing process, added manufacturing plant, increase their selling points, now they are delivering as they should have to from the begining...

mabe add a little slow sales quarter...

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I personally think this means people are just waiting for WWDC before making purchases. If I were in the market for a new toy, I would wait to see what the other kids are playing with. :D

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Price decrease?

It´s expensive to have much of computers in stock, so they might decide to lower prices to stimulate sales. Apple will certainly not come with any updates when they have piles of the previous ones.

I already have an eMac in my cart and wonder if Apple in Europe is going to call me and offer my a discount. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.