Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Temporary relocation would work if there was a credible opposition to govern Syria in the absence of Assad. As it is the "best" case scenario is Assad winning, but he'll probably have to liberally massacre his enemies to stop another uprising.

Fundamentally Syria isn't a country anymore.

So we just try to get everyone out? Or as many as we can? And keep taking people out when the population replenishes?

It just doesn't seem like much of a solution. I'm 100% in support of providing safe haven, supplies, and support to all those in need.

I suppose if there was an easy answer, none of us would be having this discussion. I don't think there is one simple answer to the crisis in Syria... but it would seem that the migrant crisis has to do with a lot more than just what's happening in Syria.

Reactions: Eraserhead

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
So countries should be required to accept people who are escaping poor financial situations? That describes billions of people. Should we relocate them all?

And no, those aren't the wealthy gulf states. Turkey, Lebanon, and Jordan are not what I'm referring to... UAE, Saudi, Oman, Yemen, Qatar are the weathly ones.
No
Refugees only - those who are escaping poverty are not refugees but economic migrants and I don't agree with that.
And billions? You looking at less than 50 Million

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
The Rotherham grooming gang were predominantly Pakistani, that much is true..... However that is not a reflection suggesting all Muslims are paedophiles, and to say otherwise would be false.

There are horrid people of all ethnicities.
I would buy you a pint over that!

Reactions: sim667

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
No
Refugees only - those who are escaping poverty are not refugees but economic migrants and I don't agree with that.
And billions? You looking at less than 50 Million

Billions is referring to the number of people who live in poverty around the globe, not the number of refugees from Syria.

And that's the problem: a very large portion of those in this migrant crisis are relocating for reasons other than safety.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Why is the EU the only safe place that should be worth applying for asylum in?

If safety was the exclusive goal, Germany wouldn't be overwhelmed with people, and they would be more evenly distributed. Why are Germany and Sweden almost exclusively the destination for all these people?

Because the EU have an agreement over how Asylum applications should be handled.

Germany is overwhelmed because the opened the flood gates to them by saying they'd taking 100,000 (this is because their having population problems, with an ageing population).

The choice to do this is in part, what has cause problems on the way to Germany in the other countries.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Billions is referring to the number of people who live in poverty around the globe, not the number of refugees from Syria.

I think there's only about a billion in absolute poverty these days.

I was appalled by it - Not because it was Muslims but the way the police reacted.... Took them way to long stop it.
Being Muslim wasn't the reason they rapped. There are more terror attacks, rapes and crimes done by Christians (per 1000) in the UK than Muslims so please stop reading Britain First posts and get outside, stop blaming a religion and enjoy life!

With regards to thinks like rape and domestic violence it's probably mostly higher among Christians as the report rate will be a lot higher. That may well apply to other crimes too, but it's less likely.

With terrorism, if you include the IRA Christians will be higher, if you just cover this century Muslims will be higher, especially per capita.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
bulgaria, albania, macedonia, romania, serbia and the czech republic are not in the EU, thus do not have to abide by the asylum agreements within the eu, so its quite obvious that refugees aren't going to apply with asylum.

I don't know if turkey, croatia or the czech republic are full members yet either?

If thats the case, thats a whole 2 countries it would be worth applying for asylum in the EU you've listed.

And Italians I doubt will be welcoming.
I'm guessing you're American judging by your lack of knowledge about who is and isn't in the EU, but Bulgaria and the Czech Republic are both full members of the union while Albania, Turkey and Serbia are in the process of joining it. The process in question by the way involves signing all the EU contracts including the ones about border controls and refugee reception.

I personally don't have any issues with real refugees from Syria fleeing the war there, but when you have people from other countries sometimes not even on the same continent joining in and hoping to get protection under the same umbrella. Here in Finland something like 80% of asylum seekers are Iraqis, about 10% are from Somalia and actual Syrians make up well under 5% of the total. The reason why so many Iraqis are showing up in Finland is because Sweden denies over 60% of Iraqi applications and in Finland they at least used to have a considerably higher rate of success. However immigration authorities stopped processing applications for Iraqis and Somalians while the ministry of foreign affairs updates their safety assessments, which is what the decision if asylum is to be granted or not is heavily based on, for these countries. The revised assessments are expected to be about the same as those in Sweden leading to a similar percentage of rejections for Iraqis and Somalians.

Now that this has dawned on the Iraqis when we a few weeks ago used to have between 400 and 500 asylum seekers a day crossing over from Sweden in Tornio, yesterday we only had 80 people cross the border there and 200 the day before that. When interviewed a number of Iraqis have threatened that if they have their requests denied, they're going to stay here illegally.

When you have a major group that has an over 60% asylum rejection rate in a country as welcoming to immigrants and refugees as Sweden you know that there's a LOT of welfare tourists mixed in with the real refugees. Trying to steer away discussion from this group mixing in with people in real need for protection is counter-productive and will only strengthen anti-immigration sentiment that even applies to the people who genuinely are in need of protection.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I'm guessing you're American judging by your lack of knowledge about who is and isn't in the EU, but Bulgaria and the Czech Republic are both full members of the union while Albania, Turkey and Serbia are in the process of joining it. The process in question by the way involves signing all the EU contracts including the ones about border controls and refugee reception.

I personally don't have any issues with real refugees from Syria fleeing the war there, but when you have people from other countries sometimes not even on the same continent joining in and hoping to get protection under the same umbrella. Here in Finland something like 80% of asylum seekers are Iraqis, about 10% are from Somalia and actual Syrians make up well under 5% of the total. The reason why so many Iraqis are showing up in Finland is because Sweden denies over 60% of Iraqi applications and in Finland they at least used to have a considerably higher rate of success. However immigration authorities stopped processing applications for Iraqis and Somalians while the ministry of foreign affairs updates their safety assessments, which is what the decision if asylum is to be granted or not is heavily based on, for these countries. The revised assessments are expected to be about the same as those in Sweden leading to a similar percentage of rejections for Iraqis and Somalians.

Now that this has dawned on the Iraqis when we a few weeks ago used to have between 400 and 500 asylum seekers a day crossing over from Sweden in Tornio, yesterday we only had 80 people cross the border there and 200 the day before that. When interviewed a number of Iraqis have threatened that if they have their requests denied, they're going to stay here illegally.

When you have a major group that has an over 60% asylum rejection rate in a country as welcoming to immigrants and refugees as Sweden you know that there's a LOT of welfare tourists mixed in with the real refugees. Trying to steer away discussion from this group mixing in with people in real need for protection is counter-productive and will only strengthen anti-immigration sentiment that even applies to the people who genuinely are in need of protection.

My mistake, I thought they weren't as neither use the euro from memory. Or they didn't certainly in the Czech Republic last time I went.

Although I'm quite offended to be called American also. However my point still stands that not all of the countries that were listed in the post are not in the EU. Accession countries still do not have to abide fully with EU laws.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I think there's only about a billion in absolute poverty these days.

With regards to thinks like rape and domestic violence it's probably mostly higher among Christians as the report rate will be a lot higher. That may well apply to other crimes too, but it's less likely.

With terrorism, if you include the IRA Christians will be higher, if you just cover this century Muslims will be higher, especially per capita.
Nope - I worked in a port and one of my responsibilities is security - I had to do training and this century its still Christianity if we go off the definition - We just don't hear about it!
Everyone in the port has to do this training as we go into international waters and the information is used is from the UN or one of their agencies (I cannot remember which one)

Reactions: Eraserhead

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
When you make a bold claim of a factual nature, it's reasonable to point others to whatever information led you to that conclusion. Otherwise they can only guess.

I didn't set out to defend them here. I was just interested enough to search for financial data. None of it supported the claim of 90% administrative expenses. I also wasn't arguing over their effectiveness in terms of quantity and quality of services provided relative to donations taken in, which is not as easy to determine. I was also looking specifically at the Red Cross, not at an overview of all charities that take in at least one million, ten million, or whatever you consider large in donations per year.

I guess you just want everyone to commiserate because the Red Cross provided inadequate services when you needed them?

No, I want the Red Cross and all charities to refrain from engaging in illegal and immoral activities. You are apparently unconcerned that such crimes may be taking place. But I protest too much.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
an·ec·do·tal
[ˌanikˈdōtl]

ADJECTIVE
  1. (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research:
    "while there was much anecdotal evidence there was little hard fact"

gullible

adjective
1. easily deceived or cheated.

Origin: Renzatic

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
No, I want the Red Cross and all charities to refrain from engaging in illegal and immoral activities. You are apparently unconcerned that such crimes may be taking place. But I protest too much.

All of the charities in the world? Of which you've only found tenuous evidence of and insist on referring to them as the wrong organisation.

Cool story.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Well you're not really protesting or doing anything meaningful. You're just making baseless claims. You haven't spotted any flaws in their reports. You haven't done any research into their activity. There isn't even evidence of any of your previous claims. If you're concerned about the Red Cross, they have been accused of specific things. They have been accused of diverting donations made toward a specific disaster to cover others and of inefficient service. (I was actually looking for a different article, but I couldn't find my way back to it.) They were never accused of spending 90% of donations on administrative overhead or anything close to that.

You mixed up the order. It appealed to confirmation bias. You have nothing to base it on, so you just move to increasingly vague rhetoric. It's harder to say there's no evidence of something when the claim is that vague.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I was appalled by it - Not because it was Muslims but the way the police reacted.... Took them way to long stop it.
Being Muslim wasn't the reason they rapped. There are more terror attacks, rapes and crimes done by Christians (per 1000) in the UK than Muslims so please stop reading Britain First posts and get outside, stop blaming a religion and enjoy life!

Religion, specifically Islam, has everything to do with this story. The girls were raped and treated like garbage because they were non-Muslims. The rapists were not stopped because they were Muslims, and the police feared being called racists, rather than protecting innocent, young girls. I don't believe your statistics at all, what's your source? Unfortunately Islam promotes a rape culture against non-Muslims, Sweden is a horrifying example of this.

Back to the original post. I'm not giving a dime to charities that are "helping" so-called refugees. Billions of Euros have already been spent and it's only encouraging more freeloaders to come. Britain has the right idea of only accepting refugees from camps in Syria and Jordan, not people faking to be Syrians from Iraq, Bangladesh, Macedonia, and elsewhere, who tore up their passports, and only want asylum in two countries, Germany and Sweden, which happen to be the ones with the most generous welfare benefits.

Reactions: CalWizrd

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
You're right. 5 men caught in criminal activities. That definitely qualifies as proof that millions of men , women, and children from the same nationality/religion are the same criminals. Thank "god" we have brilliant minds such as yours. We should apply that excellent logical thinking to all nations/skin colors/religions.

So while at it, also do eject from earth all whites and christians for slaughtering/raping/enslaving hundreds of millions of jews, blacks , and american indians ( who probably don't qualify as a part of the human race for you.).
In fact , just have all christians, muslims and jews, all blacks and all whites, all men women and children ejected from earth , and we'll be fine.
And yes, that includes you, unless you're a mutant octopus. ( No, wearing your freshly ironed Klu Klux Klan costume doesn't make you a conehead alien )

I think you overdosed, stay off the ginkobiloba for a while! LOL

Reactions: CalWizrd

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Religion, specifically Islam, has everything to do with this story. The girls were raped and treated like garbage because they were non-Muslims. The rapists were not stopped because they were Muslims, and the police feared being called racists, rather than protecting innocent, young girls. I don't believe your statistics at all, what's your source? Unfortunately Islam promotes a rape culture against non-Muslims, Sweden is a horrifying example of this.

Back to the original post. I'm not giving a dime to charities that are "helping" so-called refugees. Billions of Euros have already been spent and it's only encouraging more freeloaders to come. Britain has the right idea of only accepting refugees from camps in Syria and Jordan, not people faking to be Syrians from Iraq, Bangladesh, Macedonia, and elsewhere, who tore up their passports, and only want asylum in two countries, Germany and Sweden, which happen to be the ones with the most generous welfare benefits.
I work in a high security port and hold the anti-terriorm training (which also goes through the breakdown of statistics) and I understand the breakdown of terrorists and the definition of terrorists better than most people from this. Terrorists are more likely to be white male Christians but that doesn't sell news well. Are these terror crimes:
- Taking a gun into a plane with the idea of using it?
- Posting a letter bomb to a office?
- Killing someone in the street for your cause?

If thats a while Christian your answer would likely to be mentally ill? Correct?
What about if it was a Muslim?
That is all terrorism...
Also - a read for you:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/14/are-all-terrorists-muslims-it-s-not-even-close.html
(I cannot post the documents I have about terrorists as their protected but that gets pretty close to the point)

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I work in a high security port and hold the anti-terriorm training (which also goes through the breakdown of statistics) and I understand the breakdown of terrorists and the definition of terrorists better than most people from this. Terrorists are more likely to be white male Christians but that doesn't sell news well. Are these terror crimes:
- Taking a gun into a plane with the idea of using it?
- Posting a letter bomb to a office?
- Killing someone in the street for your cause?

If thats a while Christian your answer would likely to be mentally ill? Correct?
What about if it was a Muslim?
That is all terrorism...
Also - a read for you:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/14/are-all-terrorists-muslims-it-s-not-even-close.html
(I cannot post the documents I have about terrorists as their protected but that gets pretty close to the point)

The original article refers to the "migrant crisis" in Europe and my comment was on the problems that Islam brings into western societies. I understand that you want to divert attention away from Muslims and I can see that you hate white Christians, good luck with your "anti-terriorm training".

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
The original article refers to the "migrant crisis" in Europe and my comment was on the problems that Islam brings into western societies. I understand that you want to divert attention away from Muslims and I can see that you hate white Christians, good luck with your "anti-terriorm training".

What about the problems christianity took to Muslim societies? Being part of the root cause for the current crisis.

However I can see by your wording you've got an agenda, so I imagine trying to engage in any kind of conversation over this will be a case of you stamping your feet and saying "muslims bad" over and over, louder and louder until you get your way.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
What about the problems christianity took to Muslim societies? Being part of the root cause for the current crisis.

However I can see by your wording you've got an agenda, so I imagine trying to engage in any kind of conversation over this will be a case of you stamping your feet and saying "muslims bad" over and over, louder and louder until you get your way.

Muslims are killing or repressing the Christians in their societies, they shouldn't have any problems with Christians anymore so they can worship Allah in peace.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Im actually white Christian myself...
All religions have crazy idiots in them and also have people who blame other religions for problems (like you) and to be honest the way you interpret the world makes it a lot more dangerous for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.