Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
I updated today to 12.2 and now Apple Pay tells me the phone needs to be updated to use Apple Pay and won't let me see any of the cards I have.

I have tried power cycling, reset, restore, and even new setup. Nothing works!!!

Anyone else?

I have setup as only using eSim on iPhone XR with Verizon but unlocked.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
I updated today to 12.2 and now Apple Pay tells me the phone needs to be updated to use Apple Pay and won't let me see any of the cards I have.

I have tried power cycling, reset, restore, and even new setup. Nothing works!!!

Anyone else?

I have setup as only using eSim on iPhone XR with Verizon but unlocked.

iPhone Xs on T-mobile prepaid using an actual SIM card. I updated to iOS 12.2 this afternoon. I have not experienced any problem with the Wallet app. I can open the app and see all the cards there. I haven't used Apple Pay to make a purchase since the update though.

kukheart

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2003
Dallas
Happened to me. Turn off Apple Pay Cash and restart and it will all re-appear. Turn on Apple Pay Cash (even though I don’t really use it) Thanks Reddit.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Happened to me. Turn off Apple Pay Cash and restart and it will all re-appear. Turn on Apple Pay Cash (even though I don’t really use it) Thanks Reddit.

I can't even get this option in Apple Pay or Wallet. It just says Apple Pay requires an update on this iPhone.

Reactions: misbhven2

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I can't even get this option in Apple Pay or Wallet. It just says Apple Pay requires an update on this iPhone.

Go to "Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay" and it will be the choice at the top of the page "Apple pay Cash - on/off switch"

IMG_8559.jpeg

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Mine is ok.

Looks like Apple quietly stopped supporting Credit Cards for Apple Pay Cash. Tried to send my daughter $20 this a.m. and got an error that I couldn't use my Amex and had to add my debit card. Disappointing. I didn't have an issue with the fee they charged because I funnel everything through my Amex. Oh well, will have to start leveraging Paypal or Venmo going forward.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Disappointing. I didn't have an issue with the fee they charged because I funnel everything through my Amex. Oh well, will have to start leveraging Paypal or Venmo going forward.

Same here. I used the Apple Pay Cash occasionally and I don't have a debit card.

whbunn

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
I lost Apple Pay on iPhone and iPad mini, haven’t used Apple Pay cash but use Apple Pay daily.

Graham4723

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
Lost this on my iphone x....told me i’d already added maxm 20 cards but, in fact, added none.
Chatted with Apple support who were suggest nfc h’ware problem and take in for repair.

I tried another reboot and it’s now working as before....only thing it said was “mobile data turned off”. So maybe it couldn’t get ‘location’ data as has been said elsewhere.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Interesting. Worked fine for me using it today. I did accept the terms and conditions for Apple Pay Cash before attempting to use Apple Pay today, maybe that is it.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Same thing happened to one of our iPhone X's (Maxed out on Cards), restarting the phone fixed it. Everything reappeared.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I had only used credit cards with Apple Pay cash. My cards (not maxed out) seem fine and ready for Apple Pay after the upgrade. Haven't had a chance to purchase anything after upgrading yet.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Well, I am postponing the 12.2 update for now, until I see how widespread the issues are - I use Apple Pay at stores with a credit card a lot, and although I use apple pay cash only a little bit I don't want to screw things up.

I use Venmo more than Apple Pay Cash or PayPal, and just had to set up a CashApp account to pay my lawn guy, since he won't sign up for Venmo for some reason.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I had this issue during the first beta on my 6S. Apple Pay was not available and showed it needed an update in the settings. I went to the Apple Store earlier today and found out that it is a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.