Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graham4723

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
I had this issue during the first beta on my 6S. Apple Pay was not available and showed it needed an update in the settings. I went to the Apple Store earlier today and found out that it is a hardware issue.

Did they ‘fix’ your hardware issue?
If so, what was it ?
[doublepost=1553678136][/doublepost]
Same thing happened to one of our iPhone X's (Maxed out on Cards), restarting the phone fixed it. Everything reappeared.

Me too ...iphone x...genius appointment for Thursday just for peace of mind re. hardware issue.

Reactions: Peter K.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Since IOS12.2 my transaction history for 2019 is gone!!!!

View attachment 828547
I don’t even have anything past last 10 transactions on my iPhone even though I use it to pay daily grocery a lot.
[doublepost=1553698767][/doublepost]My Apple Pay does not prompt me to update anything or tells me I have to update something. Based on comments, I suspect there could be something to do with the eSIM. What about using a physical SIM card to test? I only have iPhone 6s Plus and it definitely does not support eSIM and dual SIM.

Graham4723

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
I don’t even have anything past last 10 transactions on my iPhone even though I use it to pay daily grocery a lot.
[doublepost=1553698767][/doublepost]My Apple Pay does not prompt me to update anything or tells me I have to update something. Based on comments, I suspect there could be something to do with the eSIM. What about using a physical SIM card to test? I only have iPhone 6s Plus and it definitely does not support eSIM and dual SIM.

Mine is a single sim IPhone X

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Did they ‘fix’ your hardware issue?
If so, what was it ?
[doublepost=1553678136][/doublepost]

Me too ...iphone x...genius appointment for Thursday just for peace of mind re. hardware issue.

They didn't fix it and wanted me to pay $300 for a replacement. However, I will just trade it in whenever I decide to upgrade my device.

Graham4723

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
They didn't fix it and wanted me to pay $300 for a replacement. However, I will just trade it in whenever I decide to upgrade my device.

Sorry.....if they wanted $300 for a replacement, do I assume they also charged for the fix ?
Do you know what the problem and fix was ?
How old is your phone ?

I’ve a genius appointment tomorrow so interested if I encounter something similar....

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Sorry.....if they wanted $300 for a replacement, do I assume they also charged for the fix ?
Do you know what the problem and fix was ?
How old is your phone ?

I’ve a genius appointment tomorrow so interested if I encounter something similar....

Their diagnostic showed an Apple Pay error. During a phone call with them prior to the visit, they told me it was a known issue. If you made enough noise, you could get it replaced. I wouldn't bother too much about mines since I use it for games and music but I may just get that $200 gift card for trade in for a device and maybe return it ;)

I have no idea how old the phone was since I got it as used on eBay. Apple Pay was working on the device prior to 12.2 though. If I were you, I would restore the device to the latest and previous iOS to rule out software issue. I was aware it was a hardware issue before I took it in because it failed on 12.2 and failed on 12.1.4. However, it was working on 12.1.4 before updating to 12.2.

If yours is not a hardware issue, they will try to use recovery mode to update or restore the device.

serjiokkk

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
Russia, Moscow
the same **** with XSMax on 12.2

D2ikyuuXgAgzmrZ

tried downgrade to 12.1.4, upgrade to beta 12.3.1 - no changes

Support said that it's hardware problem... but.... HOW?! on 12.1.4 all was ok :(

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
I went in today to the Apple Store and their diagnostics said it was a hardware failure. I even tried updating to the 12.3 beta and no luck. They just replaced the device. iPhone XR.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Guess I need to go out and give it a try. I believe my iPhone 6s Plus will be fine but I still need to confirm it.

AstonSmith

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
UK
I updated my 6S from 12.1.4 to 12.2 without issue.

I wonder if 12.2 contains an updated firmware for the Apple Pay chip that is failing to update correctly. IOS downgrades don't downgrade the baseband firmwares, so going back to 12.1 would not fix it because it'd stay on "broken 12.2". If 12.3 beta doesn't contain an updated firmware, that'd explain why updating to that didn't work. Or perhaps it will stay bricked forever once corrupted.

(Just speculating though, I have no idea what's happening.)

Reactions: Shirasaki

serjiokkk

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
Russia, Moscow
apple fixed it!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208733

What to do next
Before proceeding, make sure that you have a backup of your iPhone or iPad. Then follow these steps to reinstall iOS:

1. Connect your device to a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14.4 or later, or a Windows computer with iTunes 12.9.4 or later.
  2. If you see a "Trust this Computer" alert, unlock your device and tap Trust.
  3. Open iTunes and select your device.
  4. Click Summary, then follow these steps:
    • On a Mac: Command-click Check for Update.
    • On a Windows computer: Control-click Check for Update.
iTunes will download and reinstall the current version of iOS on your device. Don't disconnect your device from your computer until the download completes.

If you continue to see either of the alerts above, take your iPhone or iPad to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or make a Genius Bar reservation at an Apple Store. You can also contact Apple Support.

Published Date: March 29, 2019

Reactions: MisterSavage

frank06

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2019
I am also experiencing this problem. The phone worked perfectly with 12.1.4 and the Apple Pay error started immediately upon booting up into 12.2. Apple Support attempted the steps shown in Apple’s support document but it did not resolve the problem. They advised me to take it to the Apple Store where a diagnostic confirmed there was a problem with the “Apple Pay Sensor.” They offered to sell me a replacement device. I declined.

After calling Apple Support again, they collected some logs to send to engineering. Engineering also claims a problem with the Apple Pay Sensor.

Like others, I’m convinced it is a problem with the 12.2 update as the phone, and Apple Pay, worked just fine until the moment I updated.

If anyone has a fix that doesn’t involve paying Apple to replace a phone that their update broke, please post for us to try.

Graham4723

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
If anyone has a fix that doesn’t involve paying Apple to replace a phone that their update broke, please post for us to try.

As I said above ....I did a hard reset and that seemed to ‘fix’ everything. Have you tried doing that (maybe a couple of times?).

PS...can I ask how old your phone is ? Given they weren’t offering a direct replacement.

frank06

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2019
The Apple store and I both tried that with no success. I have an X that is about four months out of warranty.

I agree with AstonSmith’s suspicion that 12.2 contained an update for the Apple Pay or NFC chip and the update didn’t run successfully.

Reactions: AstonSmith

frank06

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2019
12.3 beta2 available now
anyone tried?
issue fixed?

I tried beta 2 and it didn’t fix the issue. I’ve called Apple again and spoke with yet another support advisor with no luck. They’re sticking to the story that there is no way a software update could cause Apple Pay to store working and that I had to have the problem before I ran the update. But it worked fine immediate before the update...

It seems I have no options but to live with non functioning Apple Pay or buy a new phone.

serjiokkk

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
Russia, Moscow
I tried beta 2 and it didn’t fix the issue. I’ve called Apple again and spoke with yet another support advisor with no luck. They’re sticking to the story that there is no way a software update could cause Apple Pay to store working and that I had to have the problem before I ran the update. But it worked fine immediate before the update...

It seems I have no options but to live with non functioning Apple Pay or buy a new phone.

pffff... waiting for 12.2.1...
if there they won't fix it, I'll have to go to Vietnam or Hong Kong to replace my iPhone))
cyka blyad cool apple service...

Last edited:

frank06

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2019
I just updated to iOS 13 public beta 2 and it seems to have fixed the issue. Apple Pay again works both inside apps and via NFC at payment terminals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.