Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I've watched the demo video over and over again and I still feel like palm rejection isn't supported on the new ipad pro. At best, it seems like it's certain apps that support this function, not the apple pencil alone. If this is the case, it's very frustrating!

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
There were certain points in the video that looked like palm rejection existed but then there are other moments in the video that looked like Palm rejection was not an option. At this point I'm not sure what to think.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I noticed during one of the demos that the guy on stage seemed to be holding the pencil in such a way that he was avoiding resting his palm on the screen. That would be a huge, huge letdown.

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
If it doesn't have palm rejection that's like the kiss of death for a device already on life support. Artist will review and shun it because of that and the fallout will carry the iPad further into death since it has already been declining anyway.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Wouldn't it work like the rest of the "active" styluses and completely disable the touch-ness of the screen?

I'll have to check out the vids though.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Wouldn't it work like the rest of the "active" styluses and completely disable the touch-ness of the screen?

I'll have to check out the vids though.

I don't see anything to indicate that this is a truly active stylus the way that a Wacom or Ntrig is where there is a separate digitizer layer specifically for interacting with the stylus.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
On Twit someone who was at the event said it does support palm rejection.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I don't see anything to indicate that this is a truly active stylus the way that a Wacom or Ntrig is where there is a separate digitizer layer specifically for interacting with the stylus.

I thought they said the stylus/iPad is aware of x,y location, angle, and pressure.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Palm rejection might be app specific now that I think about it. Some apps will have it while others won't. This is currently the case with some apps and the Adonit styli.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Palm rejection might be app specific now that I think about it. Some apps will have it while others won't. This is currently the case with some apps and the Adonit styli.

Yea... so it makes me wonder... why even bother creating a stylus when the Adonit styli are doing just fine? Who needs those tilt and other fancy functions when palm rejection isn't even supported?

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Adonit styli aren't active digitizer though. That's the big difference. I wonder if Wacom styli will work with the iPad pro.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Yea... so it makes me wonder... why even bother creating a stylus when the Adonit styli are doing just fine? Who needs those tilt and other fancy functions when palm rejection isn't even supported?

Palm Rejection is supported though, it's been established.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
So can I rest my hand on the screen and write, or not?

Also, shouldn't the iPad Pro have a feature where you can go stylus only, no touch? Seems to me that would be the ideal solution for those who want/need stylus only.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
So can I rest my hand on the screen and write, or not?

Also, shouldn't the iPad Pro have a feature where you can go stylus only, no touch? Seems to me that would be the ideal solution for those who want/need stylus only.

I would bet it is some sort of palm rejection in software. In my extensive experience trying tons of available programs and the note-taking programs in the past, this doesn't tend to work very well. On the other hand, none of those developers have had the ability to fully integrate all the pieces the way Apple can.

The Adonit styli are far from fine. They are ok in certain situations, but are not really that accurate or reliable. I will be very surprised if Apple hasn't integrated palm rejection somehow into this, but on the other hand, I know from experience that palm rejection that tends to work ok for drawing or marking up documents as they demonstrated often doesn't work if you are trying to take handwritten notes, something they didn't really make a big deal of.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
They said in the keynote that stylus input can bet determined separately from other screen input so if the stylus is in use, the app would be able to ignore other screen inputs. This to me says palm rejection.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
They said in the keynote that stylus input can bet determined separately from other screen input so if the stylus is in use, the app would be able to ignore other screen inputs. This to me says palm rejection.

Disclosure: my team was one of those present at the event.

The APIs allow you to check the touch type (direct = finger, stylus = pencil). This is kinda key for some situations like in Paper, where finger does one action, while the pencil does another. Failed palm rejection in this case might not get picked up by a gesture at all, and you are right that apps can shut everything off but the pen in certain cases to ensure things work. The problem with current styluses is that palm rejection in an app is looking at a bunch of "identical" touches from the OS and trying to decide which is which. Here you don't have to guess what is coming from the pencil, and the OS can reject large touch surfaces at the driver level that apps can only guess at.

That said, it does have palm rejection at the OS level, but since we only have a beta build of 9.1, I'm hesitant to say anything definitive about how well it works beyond that it does beat all the stylii I've tried to use so far on the iPad, and not by a small margin. But to comment on the angles people used in the video: note how the artist can see what they are sketching easier depending on their hand position. Coming in from the top makes certain parts of the "page" easier to see. Both for the artist, and the camera recording it. My recommendation is to try it in the store if you have doubts.

Me? I'm getting one based on my time with it. This is the stylus on the iPad I've been trying to find for years, and haven't found until now. And the larger screen is actually something I've got uses in mind for (split screen PDF/whatever and notes app? Yes please). But I might find it doesn't entirely replace my Air to use before going to bed, we'll need to see there.

The Adonit styli are far from fine. They are ok in certain situations, but are not really that accurate or reliable. I will be very surprised if Apple hasn't integrated palm rejection somehow into this, but on the other hand, I know from experience that palm rejection that tends to work ok for drawing or marking up documents as they demonstrated often doesn't work if you are trying to take handwritten notes, something they didn't really make a big deal of.

Yeah, don't get me started on the Adonit stuff. My current "favorites" are 53's Pencil (which still has issues), and the AluPen (doesn't try to be something it can't). But this sucker is something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectronGuru

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I'm just hoping the stylus support will trickle down the iPad line next year. My main use is note taking and I would want this in conjunction with a Mini, not an Air or Pro.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Palm Rejection is supported though, it's been established.

Well--there is palm rejection and there is palm rejection. On the surface--sp1 and 2 palm rejection is more robust than sp3 palm rejection as the radius trigger is wider. I would say this issue may not be resolved until review units find there way into capable hands. The first look pencil demos seem pretty undemanding--with lots of sixty point letter printing with no palm touching.

Alpivan

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
I've watched the demo video over and over again and I still feel like palm rejection isn't supported on the new ipad pro. At best, it seems like it's certain apps that support this function, not the apple pencil alone. If this is the case, it's very frustrating!

in this fan review in the video background i got my answer. no palm rejection.

this really sucks. i was about buy that thing. but now.

and there's this little hack that might help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.