Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Not sure how that video confirms no palm rejection. Apple would not release a style that did not include such an important feature. I have seen examples of palm rejection and I thought this had been pretty much confirmed by now.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Those unconvinced by top-of-the-range graphics tablets are unlikely to be won over by the Apple Pencil's response time, but there are some additional benefits here. Rather than simply offering palm rejection, the iPad Pro can detect both finger and Pencil input at the same time. That opens up some interesting possibilities. Diffenderfer says this tool could be "awesome,"

These is from a guy who was there in hands-on, so it is there better than ever

Alpivan

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
the thing is. Every video that's out there that demonstrated palm rejection... it does so by using Procreate app or sketch . And thought they really good apps. Palm rejection should be also extended to writing apps, 3d modelling, video editing. and even games. Funny how this one feature, for me, makes all the difference.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
another hands on guy wrote this
"Palm and wrist rejection also seems to work well—at one point an Apple rep running a demo laid his entire forearm on the iPad's screen without affecting the pencil"

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
To me, it's weird that this thread existed in the first place. There are lots of videos (including Apple's iPad Pro video) where palm rejection is shown. So it's obviously possible. That's where the thread could be closed already. Whether or not it is applied in all apps is a pointless question then, as clearly not every app neds to have or should have palm rejection.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
To me, it's weird that this thread existed in the first place. There are lots of videos (including Apple's iPad Pro video) where palm rejection is shown. So it's obviously possible. That's where the thread could be closed already. Whether or not it is applied in all apps is a pointless question then, as clearly not every app neds to have or should have palm rejection.
Given what was shown at the presentation, there was reason to ask the question. Yes, there is support for palm rejection in the iPad Pro/iOS 9. But the follow up question becomes, "is it universal to the entire system or must app developers code support for palm rejection?"

It looks like there are APIs available to app developers to support palm rejection when using the Apple Pencil, but the apps must be written to use them. THAT would explain why so many of the Apple Pencil demonstration videos show the hand floating uncomfortably over the screen using some apps, and hand resting on the screen in others.

During the presentation, the guy at the iPad Pro demo'ing Office for iPad with the Pencil was very careful and deliberate to not have his hand come in contact with the screen while using the Pencil. That led me to believe that Office didn't yet support palm rejection.

I suspect that over the next month there will be a lot of scrambling of developers updating their apps to utilize these new APIs.

In the end, it is a step better than what was available before (homegrown logic written to support palm rejection in a particular app). But it isn't as good as a system level support that makes palm rejection transparent to the app.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I suspect that over the next month there will be a lot of scrambling of developers updating their apps to utilize these new APIs.

Given the slow pace of adoption of 3D Touch by developers, I think we may be waiting a long while for developers to fully implement Apple Pencil/palm rejection for iPad Pro.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
It looks like there are APIs available to app developers to support palm rejection when using the Apple Pencil, but the apps must be written to use them. THAT would explain why so many of the Apple Pencil demonstration videos show the hand floating uncomfortably over the screen using some apps, and hand resting on the screen in others.

I'd be curious what APIs those are, since the only APIs added were for the new touch type, and the properties on the touch event itself coming from the stylus.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Here another reason that this thread can be closed due to the fact that the answer is YES
http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/29/pixar-ipad-pro-pencil/
It doesn't appear that you are paying attention to what is being discussed in this thread.

What is the answer to the question, "Is palm rejection on the iPad Pro using the Apple Pencil universal to all apps or must apps be specifically written to support palm rejection?"

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
The ipad pro has Palm Rejection by default, i mean from hardware perspective
if dev don't want to have it on their own apps that is their business, but ipad pro has palm rejection

Thread title is Apple Pencil Palm rejection Yes or No..but its clearly YES so..

1. You probably will have in App Store section with Great Apps for iPad pro (or for Pencil)

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Given what was shown at the presentation, there was reason to ask the question. Yes, there is support for palm rejection in the iPad Pro/iOS 9. But the follow up question becomes, "is it universal to the entire system or must app developers code support for palm rejection?"
To me, that question was also answered by the fact that you can use the ruler in the Notes app together with the pencil. Using the ruler requires the touch portion of the screen to be active, and it would be quite difficult to implement palm rejection together with the ruler function. So obviously, some apps will have palm rejection. Others won't.

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
All tablet sales are declining although iPad is still the leader in sales by a hefty margin.

If it doesn't have palm rejection that's like the kiss of death for a device already on life support. Artist will review and shun it because of that and the fallout will carry the iPad further into death since it has already been declining anyway.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Oh man, I hope we get more feedback from that. All anyone is asking about on Twitter is palm rejection, ugh. How about accuracy, latency, feel? Did the Pixar team like it?
They already said that apple pencil has the most low latency stylus on the market

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
I swear half the threads on this forum is to spread misinformation by android fanboys.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
They already said that apple pencil has the most low latency stylus on the market

I'm confident it will be good, but if there's one thing I've learned in my years of experience with stylus products, you simply have to try it for yourself to know for sure. Using a pencil/pen/paint brush is such a tactile experience and more difficult to implement digitally than one might think, and small details matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.