Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Absolutely despise John Lewis. Ordered a Pencil for a Christmas present. Checked account this afternoon to see "item on backorder" despite the fact they had 177 in stock when I ordered.

Call them up. Was told it was a security issue and that if I passed the questions it would be fine. I did.

Still said on backorder this evening, so called again. Turns out if you're randomly selected for security checks, your item isn't reserved. There is no way of knowing if you've been randomly selected without calling and asking.

So, order had to be cancelled.

Not the first time I've had issues with JL, they are by far and away the shi**est online retailer I've dealt with. Their customer service people are just clueless too - the "duty manager" could barely string a sentence together.

Would email Andy Street but still wouldn't get me a Pencil so CBA!

Rant over.

appleboyy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Absolutely despise John Lewis. Ordered a Pencil for a Christmas present. Checked account this afternoon to see "item on backorder" despite the fact they had 177 in stock when I ordered.

Call them up. Was told it was a security issue and that if I passed the questions it would be fine. I did.

Still said on backorder this evening, so called again. Turns out if you're randomly selected for security checks, your item isn't reserved. There is no way of knowing if you've been randomly selected without calling and asking.

So, order had to be cancelled.

Not the first time I've had issues with JL, they are by far and away the shi**est online retailer I've dealt with. Their customer service people are just clueless too - the "duty manager" could barely string a sentence together.

Would email Andy Street but still wouldn't get me a Pencil so CBA!

Rant over.
They've got 270 in stock right now, try again!

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
This guy sold more pencils than an Apple Store. Good job, Apple!

apple-pencil.png

Adamj53

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2014
Seem to be dripping into Apple Stores today, I have managed to reserve one for collection. Seem to start appearing around lunch time from what I have seen and don't stay in stock long!!!

FlexPen76

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Looks like some Argos stores have them also. At least in NI. Maybe worth a check on your local store?

Attachments

• 2015-12-15 16-32-26_Buy Apple Pencil at Argos.co.uk.jpg
    2015-12-15 16-32-26_Buy Apple Pencil at Argos.co.uk.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 93

Adamj53

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2014
Most Apple stores look to have them in stock for pick up at the moment. Must have been a big delivery...

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
How do these people get so many? I live in the Czech Republic and all of the major Apple re-sellers in Prague haven't been able to get their hands on even 1 demo unit.

I think there's a leak somewhere in the distribution chain. The guys selling hundreds of Pencils on eBay bought them wholesale from somewhere. I've never seen anything like that before. Apple totally lost control of their suppliers.

The Apple dealers here in Romania have no idea when they'll get any Pencils.

whi5tler

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
I think there's a leak somewhere in the distribution chain. The guys selling hundreds of Pencils on eBay bought them wholesale from somewhere. I've never seen anything like that before. Apple totally lost control of their suppliers.

The Apple dealers here in Romania have no idea when they'll get any Pencils.

Same here in Czech Republic also was in Germany last weekend and the official Apple store in Dresden had only received single number deliveries.

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015
This guy sold more pencils than an Apple Store. Good job, Apple!

View attachment 605671

this is disgusting exploitation of consumers, I hate scalping and have noticed several people doing it on ebay. I hope no one buys their pencils and they make a loss.

I managed to get two, but one was for backup - to buy multiple pencils with no intention of using them, preventing people who want them for their intended purpose buying them, only to try and sell them to those same buyers at double the price is pathetic.

Buying stuff with no intention of using it for its intended purpose, but rather to exploit people by making a profit should be illegal.

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015
That would make all retailers illegal.

retailers are registered businesses who buy the product wholesale from the supplier and put it out at a RRP, - recommended retail price - sometimes slightly below, sometimes slightly above, they are not exploiting the customer, but make profit from having bought in bulk wholesale.

Scalpers on the other hand buy at the RRP, usually when supply is in short demand and then hike the price extortionately above the RRP to try and make a profit by exploiting a demand in the market they have caused. This prevents other consumers buying the product through a registered business who would sell the product at a reasonable RRP price.

There is quite a difference - scalping is scummy behaviour and should be illegal

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I don't blame the scalpers, I blame Apple for this mess. Scalpers are only exploiting the weak links inside the distribution chain and Apple seems to not care a bit about this.

Adamj53

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2014
I don't blame the scalpers, I blame Apple for this mess. Scalpers are only exploiting the weak links inside the distribution chain and Apple seems to not care a bit about this.
Long as they get the cash I guess they don't care where it comes from. It is very wrong, but they should sort the supply chain out better. Not like they can't afford to.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
retailers are registered businesses who buy the product wholesale from the supplier and put it out at a RRP, - recommended retail price - sometimes slightly below, sometimes slightly above, they are not exploiting the customer, but make profit from having bought in bulk wholesale.

Scalpers on the other hand buy at the RRP, usually when supply is in short demand and then hike the price extortionately above the RRP to try and make a profit by exploiting a demand in the market they have caused. This prevents other consumers buying the product through a registered business who would sell the product at a reasonable RRP price.

There is quite a difference - scalping is scummy behaviour and should be illegal

Perhaps you should think before you post!

Your original statement makes any retailer who intends to make a profit illegal.

Not a good idea in a free market.

At the end of the day it's supply and demand. You don't have to buy at inflated prices.

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015
Perhaps you should think before you post!

Your original statement makes any retailer who intends to make a profit illegal.

Not a good idea in a free market.

At the end of the day it's supply and demand. You don't have to buy at inflated prices.

dont be stupid - I explained the difference - a genuine retailer is not buying to exploit the consumer by charging outrageous prices like double the RRP. Also they are not removing purchase options from customers to increase the demand, they are increasing purchase options at the same price as the official apple site sells the products usually

Scalping is a devious exploitation of consumers - they do it with tickets for shows, anything that is in demand to try and double and treble the RRP they bought the product for. It prevents genuine consumers from getting the product and usually means only the ultra rich bother to pay. Scalpers need to get an honest job and stop trying to make money from taking advantage of people, and governments should bring in laws against this exploitation of consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.