Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
Because manufacturing jobs can be done without education.

We spend thousands of dollars a year for your education to teach you calculus, literature, and world history, so you DON'T have to work a manufacturing job like you were some kind of oxen. We purposely sent those jobs overseas to people that can do it for $2 an hour, because you are expected to have $50-$100/hour jobs that use your brains instead of your muscles.

It's a win-win situation for all of us when we send manufacturing jobs overseas and Americans get the high skill jobs.

Yeah, we say that. It's true for one end of the employment sector. But Silicon Valley just cannot pour enough billions and billions into self-driving cars for miniscule net savings by taking away employment from the solid 4-5% of the working population involved in delivery/driving. No $50 an hour jobs for them.

We can talk about people making $50 an hour while the reality for a lot of people is that their manufacturing jobs are gone and they have nothing but cheap fentanyl waiting for them.

Apple sells luxury items at luxury prices, and they soothe their customers with promises of being "Green." Meanwhile, they manufacture in China precisely where they can take advantage of lax environmental standards and lower living conditions in toxic cities.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Meanwhile, my gmail spam filter works in a totally random way. About 80% of the messages that end up there are not spam. I wonder what kind of security they'll be building and if it will eventually crumble just like the spam filter.

Reactions: CharlieBoyWoof

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
What do Apple know about training folk on windows XP ? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Probably a lot, they do a great job of making PC app data usable & exportable on Macs (unlike Microsoft). And until now made all their computers able to emulate PCs, or boot straight into Windows. It seems like they keep a good team up and running on Windows, I suspect Apple trains them as well.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Considering Microsoft, Intel, Amazon, and Google have suffered major data breaches in the last few years. Their response was likely to answer for those massive failures. Apple doesn’t currently have a comparable data problem, so they are offered to fix where they can. These other companies are also selling chips or cloud services that have been hacked before to big business targets.

Apple helps by selling more devices because they are inherently more secure.

Reactions: Kengineer

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
What companies are bringing more jobs to America than Apple? Name one. If all Americans would start getting degrees in physics and engineering, and be willing to work for $20/hr, we'd have zero competitors. Economics is rather straightforward. America is built on bucks whether you like that or not.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
1: Google plans to invest $10 billion over five years to strengthen cybersecurity, and it plans to train 100,000 Americans in technical fields through its Career Certificate Program.

2: Microsoft pledged $20 billion over five years to provide more advanced security tools and will invest $150 million to help government agencies upgrade their security systems.

3: IBM plans to train more than 150,000 people in cybersecurity skills across three years...

4: Amazon Web Services plans to give account holders free multi-factor authentication devices to improve security, and it will also offer Security Awareness Training.

And Apple...?
Apple will work with suppliers to adopt multi-factor authentication, security training, and incident response in an effort to improve security (and prevent leaks of their products? 😁).

Unless this means Apple is working with suppliers that have nothing to do with their products, it sounds a bit self serving.

I'll admit it's possible I'm reading this wrong.
I think it’s more about a foreign actor modifying hardware at the supply chain level than the new iPhone leaking.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Because manufacturing jobs can be done without education.

We spend thousands of dollars a year for your education to teach you calculus, literature, and world history, so you DON'T have to work a manufacturing job like you were some kind of oxen. We purposely sent those jobs overseas to people that can do it for $2 an hour, because you are expected to have $50-$100/hour jobs that use your brains instead of your muscles.

It's a win-win situation for all of us when we send manufacturing jobs overseas and Americans get the high skill jobs.

Apple is doing a lot of job creation in the US, as well as Apple suppliers like Foxconn is opening more chip factories in the US. Steve Jobs spoke to Obama long ago, Obama asked when Jobs could bring all it‘s China business to the US. Jobs replied never. The reason had nothing to do with the cost of manufacturing. It was education, Jobs comment was something like: When Apple ramps up products they often hire 6,000 qualified electrical design engineers, in China they can find all 6,000 in a week, in the US we graduate a small fraction of that each year, there just aren’t enough qualified people in the US and the number is declining.
Yeah I know. Reality is tough to accept, and people tend to lean on Hope.
It’s sad that there gonna still be lots of people thinking bringing manufacturing back to US is the way to go.
Pull all manufacturing out of China. Problem solved.
Where’s your 400 pages 20 year plan to do exactly that?

canonical

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Apple could just use the spiPhone to find out what their competitors are doing, and ensure excellent supply lines. Just scan their competitor phones and problem solved.

bobtem

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017

“Plans to Develop Program to Improve”​

Maybe just one more verb, just to muddle it some more. “Apple is Set to Plan to Develop to Improve…”

Last edited:
Reactions: canonical

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Here's an idea, why don't they just hire slave labor like people in "re-education through labor" camps? Oh wait...

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
To everyone complaining that they don’t manufacture more in the US:

We all know it’s cheaper to manufacture elsewhere (China, Vietnam, Brazil, etc.), but there’s another half to it that no one talks about because they don’t want you to know: Other countries are better at it.

I don’t like it, you don’t like it, but the truth of the matter is that poor education, slipping quality standards, and low investment in manufacturing innovations has left the US unable to build things as well as others. I wish it weren’t true, but there it is.

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
So, this is about protecting the country’s cyber assets against attack?

The other companies are making commitments to education and training to increase the number of experts in the security field, and help government agencies secure their own systems.

Apple is making a commitment to secure its own supply chain?

I feel like I’m missing something here. Why are Apple’s supply chains so vital to national security? Aren’t IBM and Microsoft supply chains a concern too?

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Once again not practical and a recipe for disaster. The labor cost would be prohibited here. We would be able to afford flip phones.
Labor cost isn't the issue. Supply chains are, and the US simply wouldn't be able to manufacture electronics at home. They offshored those chains and skills a long time ago, and now all they can do is to "design in California", while all the real work is done in Shenzhen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.