Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
To everyone complaining that they don’t manufacture more in the US:

We all know it’s cheaper to manufacture elsewhere (China, Vietnam, Brazil, etc.), but there’s another half to it that no one talks about because they don’t want you to know: Other countries are better at it.

I don’t like it, you don’t like it, but the truth of the matter is that poor education, slipping quality standards, and low investment in manufacturing innovations has left the US unable to build things as well as others. I wish it weren’t true, but there it is.
But you guys have Sleepy Joe. He will surely fix it for ya.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
Labor cost isn't the issue. Supply chains are, and the US simply wouldn't be able to manufacture electronics at home. They offshored those chains and skills a long time ago, and now all they can do is to "design in California", while all the real work is done in Shenzhen.

The U.S. offshored electronics literally at the start of the electronics industry in the 1950s. The area south of Tijuana, Mexico, for instance, has always had a massive electronics fabrication industry going back to the earliest mass vacuum tube and transistor fabrication. People there are very proud of it, too. There are educational programs which teach students electronics and machine tooling. The standard of living is relatively higher there than the rest of Mexico.

The choice is not between the cost of labor in either Shenzen or downtown Manhattan. China has very deliberately, and aggressively, sought to make sure the supply chains run through the control of their corporations, (controlled by the CCP), and the world has cooperated.

I go out of my way to buy things made in Taiwan, and not Shenzen. But that is being deliberately obscured, now. There is no reason we cannot bring dependence on the supply chain out of China if we realize that there are plenty of other ways to do this. We can manufacture in other countries. And many of those countries would be more than happy to welcome it.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1: Google plans to invest $10 billion over five years to strengthen cybersecurity, and it plans to train 100,000 Americans in technical fields through its Career Certificate Program.

2: Microsoft pledged $20 billion over five years to provide more advanced security tools and will invest $150 million to help government agencies upgrade their security systems.

3: IBM plans to train more than 150,000 people in cybersecurity skills across three years...

4: Amazon Web Services plans to give account holders free multi-factor authentication devices to improve security, and it will also offer Security Awareness Training.

And Apple...?
Apple will work with suppliers to adopt multi-factor authentication, security training, and incident response in an effort to improve security (and prevent leaks of their products? ?).

Unless this means Apple is working with suppliers that have nothing to do with their products, it sounds a bit self serving.

I'll admit it's possible I'm reading this wrong.
That’s because Tim is not giving up the 750 million shares he’ll get tomorrow as compensation all payment.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How about bringing “more” manufacturing back to the US?

How is that not part of the plan
You’re still on this junk?

you realize USA is not and hasn’t been a textile nation for over half a century now. Manufacturing of laptops/phones/desktops/smart watches isn’t going to happen in the USA unless Alaska lol.

I’m curious what wages in manufacturing plants in the USA do you think is reasonable hourly wage? What’s the minimum life insurance policy? Will there be blocks on unions? Can that actually happen (restrict forming of unions)?? What citizens do you really think (demographics) would work at an Apple manufacturing plant in the USA?!

come up with logic on any of these first before pushing this - only as it may help you realize it’s not worth it.
Mac Pro trash can - yeah that lasted long lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.