Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Cloud gaming restrictions are obviously rubbish.

However, forcing Apple to allow native browsing engines will not increase competition: it will mean that Google Chromium/Blink victory will be nearly complete, as Chrome and Edge will move to using it.

Safari is the only real competition for Google’s technology. Implementing a web engine from scratch is so complicated that we will not see any new alternatives. We do not have them for Windows or Mac either. Even Microsoft gave up. Firefox, or whatever it is called these days, is barely alive.
Agree 100% Chrome already has a big majority. Safari is the only non Chromium based browser with significant market share. I wish Firefox had more but it doesn’t. If native Chrome is allowed on iOS it will reach IE6 levels of market share.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Agree 100% Chrome already has a big majority. Safari is the only non Chromium based browser with significant market share. I wish Firefox had more but it doesn’t. If native Chrome is allowed on iOS it will reach IE6 levels of market share.

That is a risk indeed, although I'm not convinced that a significant number of iPhone users would actually switch to Chrome.

Not to mention that forcing your competitor to use your browser engine is not exactly a WebKit success story.

Reactions: gusmula

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Anyway, recently there in America a bipartisan bill aka "Open App Markets Act" started to roll, which will render any previous decision made by any judge in this regard invalid, including the one made by Mrs. Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers.

Just for your information!

Unless it gets reintroduced this Congress it's dead in the water.

I suspect most users will stick with what is on the phone as the stock browser; unless Apple is forced to ask on initial startup what browser they want.

Personally, as long as Apple is allowed to block any personal data from being shared with 3rd party app developers I can live with having to pick a browser.

Last edited:

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I am aware. I also know there is much debate on that bill and with the current political climate, little, if anything will likely to get accomplished.

More or less has been said about EU's DMA and DSA too, and here they are.
We'll see, I'm confident the US OAMA will come.
It might get delayed a bit, but will come in some form. :D

These kind of acts will roll out around the world, and it will be hard for Apple and Google to navigate through all the individual acts and develop/apply them adequately. Apple will choose the common denominator which is opening it everywhere, just like macOS, anything else will be a productivity killer, overwhelm their devs and upset users, specially there in land of unlimited opportunities.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
These kind of acts will roll out around the world, and it will be hard for Apple and Google to navigate through all the individual acts and develop/apply them adequately, so they will choose the common denominator which is opening it everywhere, just like macOS, anything else will be a productivity killer and overwhelm their devs.

Probably, especially given the size of markets requiring it. I suspect Apple will change their fee structure to charge for items previously included in teh dev fee and cut of sales, to incorporate fees based on d/l, hosting etc. That could win up costing companies like Spotify more just to access the App Store; or make them forgo the App Store entirely and potentially cut into their potential user base.

Apple could, for example, decide any app that has been downloaded more than x times must pay Y to be hosted, plus z per new d/l. Or charge sliding scale fees for developer accounts based on the same metrics. There are a lot of ways to make up for any lost revenue; especially if a company wants to stay on the App Store.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
More or less has been said about EU's DMA and DSA too, and here it is.
We'll see, I'm confident the US OAMA will come.
It might get delayed a bit, but will come in some form. :D

These kind of acts will roll out around the world, and it will be hard for Apple and Google to navigate through all the individual acts and develop/apply them adequately. Apple will choose the common denominator which is opening it everywhere, just like macOS, anything else will be a productivity killer, overwhelm their devs and upset users, specially there in land of unlimited opportunities.

I fully expect the EU to legislate themselves into harms way. They are really good at blurring the line of democracy. I just hope that they don’t erase it.

As I’ve said in several other posts, I think a happy medium would be for Apple to allow web based downloads. You want an App Store? Build your own or have people download your App from your website. This accomplishes a dual benefit: 1. Those who pay Apple a commission get the advertising, support and payment system that the App Store is known for. Additionally, many people, like myself, would prefer downloading the “Apple Approved” version (even at a higher price).

Of course Apple would loose out on Apps like Microsoft and Adobe from companies with dozens of software engineers who can build an App store to rival Apple’s, but most Apps would still rely on the App Store.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
This is about access and control, governments want access and an end to encrypted communications. Apple and Google won’t play ball, so, hit them in their wallets and weaken the platforms. If the government is interfering it is NEVER about the consumer.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Just let me install retro game emulators please Apple, I'm sick of jumping through hoops to load them via developer account.
So if someone actually released an emulator and you could buy each game you wanted to run, would you PAY to use it?

Or do you just want hardware access to load any software you want including pirated game code?

There are many individual licenced old games on the AppStore. Own any?

Maybe list the games you want to play...

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Good, hope Apple ends up in more court cases and big monopolies (of all kinds, but tech especially) give the very insipration that leads lawmakes to draft stricter laws and regulations relating to privacy, market position/monopoly, right to repair and planned obsolescence.
They should have listened.
So why havent law makers over the past 100 years made it illegal for car and white goods manufacturers to stop planned obsolescence? Sure you can repair them but often repairs cost so much it eventually becomes (even in short term) uneconomic to do so.

We live in a world where throwing away and cheap products that dont last is the norm.

Why don't they force tv manufacturers to let you install your own operating system?
Why not force consoles to install other games? I'm feeling very tied into my Nintendo Switch - it could play videos from an SD card but they wont let me. Why not? Why should I be hamstrung from using this as I want?

You can name heaps of products where manufacturers control the hardware, repair, part costs and installed code.

If Apple or Google closed their app stores for a day, what would happen?
Users might rise up and vote the overly-protective governments out... :)

It's not a monopoly. You have choice what hardware and ecosystem you buy into.
You can choose from millions of apps to install.

If Apple is forced to open up, I hope they let you do what you want BUT you flick the switch and cut off from the regular AppStore and sandboxed from standard users. Treat these phones as Android devices.

Then we will see how many people actually want this freedom to install anything.
Legislators are listening to a very small percent of noisy users.
Most of us dont even bother to change ringtones anymore.
That's how little people care about customising their phones: change their wallpapers and theyre happy ;)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Did she get her new Ferrari already? Nevermind!

Anyway, recently there in America a bipartisan bill aka "Open App Markets Act" started to roll, which will render any previous decision made by any judge in this regard invalid, including the one made by Mrs. Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers.

Just for your information!
It has to pass of course.

Reactions: SFjohn

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I fully expect the EU to legislate themselves into harms way. They are really good at blurring the line of democracy. I just hope that they don’t erase it.

As I’ve said in several other posts, I think a happy medium would be for Apple to allow web based downloads. You want an App Store? Build your own or have people download your App from your website. This accomplishes a dual benefit: 1. Those who pay Apple a commission get the advertising, support and payment system that the App Store is known for. Additionally, many people, like myself, would prefer downloading the “Apple Approved” version (even at a higher price).

Of course Apple would loose out on Apps like Microsoft and Adobe from companies with dozens of software engineers who can build an App store to rival Apple’s, but most Apps would still rely on the App Store.
The EU and North America are to date one of the most democratic continents/unions out there, it's quasi a neck-and-neck race.
1674425318005.png

If you take a closer look at North America, yes it has a slightly better Democracy Index Value, but just because of Canada. USA itself has a flawed democracy, and is the one that drags the North America stats down.
USA alone is below the EU when it comes to democracy.
1674425234240.png

I find it remarkable that the EU, who has multiple countries with a flawed democracy, which is much harder to fix due to country and cultural differences between these countries, is having a neck-and-neck democracy race with a 2 country continent and surpasses the USA. The Digital Markets Act and Digital Services Act are exactly one of those things why the EU is above the USA when it comes to democracy.

I'm in Germany with a full democracy. 😜
Just to make clear, I have nothing against the US, love it, and I also have family there, a great country despite it's flawed democracy. 😁

So don't overrate the US democracy, nor is the EU democracy to be overrated.

Anyway, the AppStore will stay, just like the Google AppStore still exist, despite Android's side-loading capabilities.

Last edited:

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Europe and North America are to date one of the most democratic continents out there, it's quasi a neck-and-neck race.
View attachment 2146438

If you take a closer look at North America, yes it has a slightly better Democracy Index Value, but just because of Canada. USA itself has a flawed democracy, and is the one that drags the North America stats down.
USA alone is below the EU when it comes to democracy.

I find it remarkable that Europe, who has multiple countries with a flawed democracy, which is much harder to fix due to country and cultural differences between these countries, is having a neck-and-neck democracy race with a 2 country continent and surpasses the USA. The Digital Markets Act and Digital Services Act are exactly one of those things why the EU is above the USA when it comes to democracy.

I'm in Germany with a full democracy. 😜
Just to make clear, I have nothing against the US, love it, and I also have family there, a great country despite it's flawed democracy. 😁

View attachment 2146436

So don't overrate the US democracy, nor is the Europe democracy to be overrated.

Anyway, the AppStore will stay, just like the Google AppStore still exist, despite Android's side-loading capabilities.

Yeah… if you ask average Americans about the rights we have vs. the restrictions of the EU, I would saw the index is flawed.

I have my own set of questions that is much less vague than “influence of foreign governments on elections” which most people don’t know the truth of.

Just my thoughts. I would never want to live in Europe. Maybe England or Australia but never the EU.

Reactions: gusmula

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Yeah… if you ask average Americans about the rights we have vs. the restrictions of the EU, I would saw the index is flawed.

I have my own set of questions that is much less vague than “influence of foreign governments on elections” which most people don’t know the truth of.

Just my thoughts. I would never want to live in Europe. Maybe England or Australia but never the EU.

There are countries in the EU i also would never like to live, just like there are states in the US I would never like to live. heh

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
This is in no way surprising. Governments around the world want access to ALL the data on your phones. Apple is doing everything they legally can to keep data privacy in the hands of its users. I’m rooting for Apple, if you don’t like it buy Android! 👍🏻

No, they are not. They more information on you then you’ll ever know without needing your phone. Your entire life’s history is on a government database of one kind or another. And that's a fact.

Employment history.
Tax history.
Driving license history.
Credit rating and financial history.
Benefits history.

And so on and on.

Last edited:

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
When did people start typing like this? I see it a lot now on social media and it’s absolutely ridiculous.
Been around for a while. The origin is a Spongebob meme and it basically means whatever is said in the alternating captial letters text is nonsensical/idiotic.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
I'm anti-Chrome but if Chrome is the leading browser without ANY favouritism (like IE/Edge and especially Safari) then to the victor go the spoils. If it's an open browser market it means everybody has to compete on the same terms. That's an environment Apple doesn't want to compete on because they've lost their touch with software and now rely on the walls that 'lock' users in to using theirs.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021

Ah, Australia, that great European nation.

Anyway, I'll say two things:

I'm pretty sure the average American knows just as much about American 'rights' vs European 'restrictions' as the other way around: next to nothing. I haven't looked at that index in a great level of detail, but I'm fairly convinced that the average person is not the right source to check whether it's accurate or not.

Second, it feels like this discussion is getting slightly off track.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Ah, Australia, that great European nation.

Anyway, I'll say two things:

I'm pretty sure the average American knows just as much about American 'rights' vs European 'restrictions' as the other way around: next to nothing. I haven't looked at that index in a great level of detail, but I'm fairly convinced that the average person is not the right source to check whether it's accurate or not.

Second, it feels like this discussion is getting slightly off track.
Of course England is in Europe. I was referring to the EU but I agree that the discussion is not about which countries have more / less democracy.

The point was that the EU appears to be the governmental body most likely to promulgate legislation that may have unintended consequences.

Reactions: strongy

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Of course England is in Europe. I was referring to the EU but I agree that the discussion is not about which countries have more / less democracy.

All English people of course ride their kangaroos to work.

The point was that the EU appears to be the governmental body most likely to promulgate legislation that may have unintended consequences.

Based on what?

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
So if someone actually released an emulator and you could buy each game you wanted to run, would you PAY to use it?

Or do you just want hardware access to load any software you want including pirated game code?

I already own all the cartridges I want to play. I've backed up the ROM images from the cartridges myself.

Though if Nintendo did offer those same games for sale on the App Store I probably would buy them. I've already bought most of these games multiple times over the years.

The games I want to play are Sim City for the SNES, Mario All Stars, Chrono Trigger (which is on the App Store and I have already bought, and I own it on PC/DS/SNES/PSX). The SNES version of Harvest Moon.

• Disagree
Reactions: strongy

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany

Pirated? Get it from the archive.org, they have an official DMCA exemption for vintage software, just like a normal library. Tons of Mame Roms there. Nothing illegal here, might be a gray area in some countries, but still not illegal.
E.g. here in Germany you can even create backup copies of your stuff and dump roms of cartridges.

I wouldn’t say that emulating is more against the law and harmful than how Apple is acting with their anti-competitive and tax circumventing tactics.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.