Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
And you think that only benefits us? They are benefiting from hundreds of thousands of jobs, money for their exports, etc.....
Yes, hence the reason why both countries need each other in some way. They need us to keep purchasing the stuff they make for us and we need them to keep producing it cheaply. (haha) Pun intended since aside from Apple products China quality control is utter trash.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
How so? China is trying to change the law in HK but they promised not to change laws for 50 years after the British hand over. And apple is siding with China
Lam withdrew the controversial extradition bill a month ago. So what we’re predominantly left with is the protesters’ demand to investigate incidents of police violence. Police brutality is bad, so Apple should allow the app so protesters can track their locations. But there’s evidence that some protesters are using tracking apps to stalk and attack the police, which is also bad, so Apple should remove the app. So to do the right thing and not condone violence, Apple should both allow and disallow the app. Seems clear enough.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
With all the outrage expressed here, how many are going to vote with their wallet and send a message to Apple by not purchasing their products and services?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Talk about principles and hypocrisy...
What a surprise, you take Apple's side. You and Apple are like Tim & China. Are you physically incapable of admitting Apple is in the wrong? Ever?
[automerge]1570736448[/automerge]
Who cares? It’s all 3rd world nonsense anyways. Long as Apple makes me money that’s all I care about. Wouldn’t mind a decent MacBook though.
I'm going to assume you're a St. louis cards fan based on your name. If so man congrats on demolishing the Braves

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
They're no better than IBM siding with the Nazis in World War 2 (that's an actual thing that happened. IBM tries to ignore it.)
It’s tempting to make a parallel by caving to Godwin’s Law and invoking Nazis, isn’t it? It’s not the same. Not close. Not remotely close. Until the HK police start carting their people off to extermination camps, I’d ask that you tape your fingers together before posting such tripe.

Last edited:

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
No, actually they don’t have that option. Corporations exist because they profit. If the profits are jeopardized over some tweet or app, they will always do what’s best in the name of profits. The entire world equates China with profits. So the Chinese dictate exactly what foreign corporations will do. They’ve done that for decades now.

As for the HK protesters, not a single one has claimed that HK is not part of China or that they are not technically Chinese.

I think that’s the common misconception in the West. If you’ve never been to HK or met HK people, then you probably wouldn’t know what it is they want. Look up some of their demands. None of them say they don’t want to be Chinese.

They don’t want to associate with mainland Chinese for the simple fact that the CCP has been eroding their freedoms ever since the handover.

Again, HK protesters are not anti-Chinese. They are anti-CCP. A very clear distinction needs to be made here. Under the one country two systems, HK should have universal suffrage and free elections. But it doesn’t. And while HK does technically have its own government, down under, the entire legislative branch is ran by the CCP.

the freedom will be fully eroded by 2047 anyway per agreement during the 97 handover.

just because its not a good option or financial sound option, doesn't mean its not an option. apple, NBA they all chose to not lose market in china, so thats their option.

there are definitely some protestors arguing they are not chinese but hong kong, there was a video posted awhile ago with protestors arguing against an aussie guy telling him they are not chinese and their passports are event different from mainland chinese passport. you can claim what they want but their action speaks differently.

from what i seen the cops in hk are acting way too linent, if there is something remotely like that with flag burning and destruction of public utilities the nypd cops here would open fire on sight. these protestors are way more extreme version of the tiananmen square incident with burning down shops and throwing petrol bombs. attacking CCP sympathisers or anyone who disagrees with them.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So Cook responded in an internal letter to employees which I’m sure the company leaked or knew someone would leak it. He swears they had credible information the app was being used for malicious purposes. I guess we have to take him at his word but I wonder how much effort the company put into verifying the claims before they removed the app.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Your entire argument is void of any substance if you claim that the app violated a Hong Kong law one minute and say you don’t know what law the app violated. Perhaps in cases like this, it’s best to reserve you judgment lest you should be taken for a jokester.
[automerge]1570715675[/automerge]

That’s the whole point.

HK has a specific laws against “Incitement to dissatisfaction” very broad and I have no intention of posting the entirety of all its sections and subsections.

tl:dr Apple can be found to helping rioters.

Reactions: iGeneo

thevault

Suspended
Feb 11, 2019
Mars
Who cares? It’s all 3rd world nonsense anyways. Long as Apple makes me money that’s all I care about. Wouldn’t mind a decent MacBook though.

Maybe you should move to China......:rolleyes:

Tim Crook the hypocrite is all about the mighty dollar who doesn't give a rats ass about human rights just like Hollowood.....

Reactions: Naraxus and Marekul

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
So Cook responded in an internal letter to employees which I’m sure the company leaked or knew someone would leak it. He swears they had credible information the app was being used for malicious purposes. I guess we have to take him at his word but I wonder how much effort the company put into verifying the claims before they removed the app.

We are supposed to take Apple’s word that the Chinese government which for all their human rights abuses is at risk that the People of Hong Kong, fighting for their freedom, is going to hurt them.

I also have a igloo in the Sahara Desert I’m trying to sell...

smileman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2011
Yet another reason why there needs to be other ways than the centralized AppStore to easily load apps on Apple products.

Thankfully, it’s only a matter of time now before AppStore loses its app distribution monopoly.

Change will come either by anti-trust measures, or by Apple realizing that having a stranglehold monopoly on App Store being the only way to get apps onto an iOS device is enabling censorship, human rights abuses, and crimes against humanity.

Come on Apple, show some real “courage” and just recognize the inevitable and end your app distribution monopoly *now* so people can help themselves to apps you’re forced to ban by undemocratic authoritarian human rights abusing regimes!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Adios

But thank you for continuing to visit a Apple centric website...

Free speech. You know one of the principals all US citizens no matter their race, gender, sexual preference or political beliefs hold dear to their hearts. You know one of those things Communist China doesn't allow. They are free to post here even if you don't like it.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
the difference is, these companies don’t spout their pious freedom of speech, human rights & equality rhetoric as a core value every day, unlike Apple. You’re right, these companies probably are no better, but that’s the point, neither are Apple, but they claim (pretend) otherwise.
Don't be ridiculous, just because you aren't being fed news about it doesn't mean they aren't.

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
the freedom will be fully eroded by 2047 anyway per agreement during the 97 handover.

just because its not a good option or financial sound option, doesn't mean its not an option. apple, NBA they all chose to not lose market in china, so thats their option.

there are definitely some protestors arguing they are not chinese but hong kong, there was a video posted awhile ago with protestors arguing against an aussie guy telling him they are not chinese and their passports are event different from mainland chinese passport. you can claim what they want but their action speaks differently.

from what i seen the cops in hk are acting way too linent, if there is something remotely like that with flag burning and destruction of public utilities the nypd cops here would open fire on sight. these protestors are way more extreme version of the tiananmen square incident with burning down shops and throwing petrol bombs. attacking CCP sympathisers or anyone who disagrees with them.

You still don’t get it.

Clearly, you’ve never been to HK. The overall sentiment there is that they don’t associate with mainland Chinese for the reasons I already stated. Key word: mainland. Brainwashed Chinese mainlanders often argue with the Taiwanese and Hong Kongese by shouting “one China”, which is exactly why you may hear many HK people denounce that. “One China” really translates to supporting the Chinese Communist Party.

It’s no different why many Taiwanese people don’t associate with the Chinese. In other words, they don’t want to be identified as a brainwashed mainlander.

The reason why they showed their passport is to prove that they have their own system and hence a different passport. A system that China agreed to preserve, but failed miserably at.

Your reasoning behind letting China walk all over HK is very childish. Just because one country two systems is set to expire in 2047 doesn’t give China the right to erode their freedoms today. And it shouldn’t be used as justification for China‘s actions.

With your logic, people shouldn’t store ice cream in the freezer because it will turn to liquid anyway when you eventually consume it.

Reactions: kaneda

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
they are not dictating, china didn't put a gun to NBA or Apple's head and tell them to do and say, NBA and apple did it out of their own free will. cause they know otherwise they will lose tons of market in china otherwise. should they sacrifice marketshare and piss off shareholders for a battle that they have nothing to gain from?

hk was given back to china after 100 years of british occupation. as far as i see it its a china's own internal affair. these folks in HK knows their days are numbered since china will assume full control by 2047. the most we can do is help them get political asylum to the west. challenging china on something like this is too little too late.

Mmmm. If people are thinking more like you. There will be no freedom. France revolution and the US revolution would never happen. The corrupt government will never change. NBA and Apple are all about the money.

hogo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
so. cal
Sad how all of these companies and sport leagues bow only to the almighty dollar. You reap what you sow.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
How many of you reading and posting comments on this thread realise, or even care, that this present discussion thread would be BANNED in China.

This ability to publicly criticise a government with no reprisals, in the course of over 6000 years of human history, is very rare. Your ability to do that was bought for by the blood of American patriots back in 1776 in the War of Independence.

Close to 250 years later, the American people have lost their moral compass. Around 50% of Americans support woke political-correctness.

What Apple and the NBA have done in the last few days, bowing to pressure from China, is a follow-on from what Google, Facebook, Twitter have been doing with the approval of about half the American population: that is, Silence any voice that offends us. It is the new America. Gone is the American people that cried out, "Give me liberty or give me death".

Virtually all the Democrat candidates have advocated banning Trump on social media. Biden commands the American mainstream media to block discussion on his son's million dollar job in Ukraine, and the American media is fine with that. Kamala Harris demands that Trump be banned from Twitter, and half of Americans are fine with that. HALF OF AMERICANS ARE FINE WITH BANNING VOICES THEY DISAGREE WITH. THUS, THEY FULLY RELATE TO CHINA BANNING VOICES THEY DISAGREE WITH.

You guys, who have criticised Tim Cook, are pathetic .... If you agree with Google, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter banning voices they disagree with, and you vote for an American political party that supports this, YOU are the hypocrites when you criticise Tim Cook for doing what you advocate against your political opponents in the United States.

China is doing exactly what Youtube, Google, Facebook and Twitter are doing against conservative voices in the United States.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.