Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Apple_Human_Rights_Billboard.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yes the police should be able to track the public. That's how crimes are solved and criminals are stopped.
Track us? Like tagged animals? I don’t think so!

They should do their jobs that my taxes pay for, which is patrol and respond to calls. Period. Unless they go through legal channels to put suspects under surveillance.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
Really tired of hearing about this. It's not any different than US senators asking apple to remove DUI checkpoint apps. Which they ended up doing.

Reactions: iGeneo

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So far I don’t have any issue with Apple pulling the app. I wouldn’t support an app in the USA that was used to target and ambush police so I can’t support one another country for this purpose.
Theoretically Waze could be used to do that.

Mutepointer

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2018
Wow. On and off again. This is faster than they do their beta updates. Never mind, you can still visit the HKmaps online.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
So far I don’t have any issue with Apple pulling the app. I wouldn’t support an app in the USA that was used to target and ambush police so I can’t support one another country for this purpose.

so when Apple refused to unlock the phones of folks/potential terrorists, potentially targeting police / public in the US or folks using Facebook, Twitter for the same purpose, that’s ok? If Apple were really removing the app for the reasons they claim they would pull Facebook, Twitter and all, since they are all used in nefarious ways at times. It’s gone because there’s too much money at stake and for no other reason.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
We gave all our manufacturing away in NAFTA as Ross Perot showed us the outcome and people laughed at him. We gave away our manufacturing to other countries and they make more than us. And people get mad when a app gets pulled down from a store. Manufacturing can be done in any democratic country. The best way to change China to to move manufacturing away from Asia and to other parts of the world that are more democratic minded.

We are not a perfect country, but we see wrong and we change over time. China has not learned that lesson yet.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Yeah that makes so much sense. Why don’t police in the USA do this as well. Hmm. I think you’re onto a new type of law-enforcement technique where police just avoid the crime LMAO
[automerge]1570714373[/automerge]
which crime, censorship?

Reactions: Atlantico

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Pretty grim really between this, Blizzard and NBA.

Already switched away from iPhones for other reasons, but to be honest OnePlus is a Chinese company so not exactly a positive ethical move! It's actually really hard if not impossible to avoid supporting China these days.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
so when Apple refused to unlock the phones of folks/potential terrorists, potentially targeting police / public in the US or folks using Facebook, Twitter for the same purpose, that’s ok? If Apple were really removing the app for the reasons they claim they would pull Facebook, Twitter and all, since they are all used in nefarious ways at times. It’s gone because there’s too much money at stake and for no other reason.

There is a thing called a court order in the united states. Due process needs to happen. I am not a lawyer and I know that. Government 101 in high school, guess most people were snap chatting during class.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
Agreed this is exactly my thoughts. There are people who believe police in the USA violate human rights and I’m sure it happens. Does this mean if an app in the USA was used by “protesters” to attack police with Molotov cocktails this would be OK?
That's assuming a lot; are ALL of the users of the app using it for malicious intent?

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Just tell Tim that your kid is a police officer. He's fine with apps tracking and targeting children.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I am going to play devil's advocate and say that Apple did the right thing. There was nothing to be gained for them as a company and, dare I say, all the Apple customers who are not Hong Kong protesters interested in using that app. China is ruled by the Communist Party. Hong Kong is a Chinese city (de facto and is posed to become so de jure in 2049). Communist party is afraid of separatism like a plague - these are the facts. It would be strange to come do business in China and with China based on understanding of these facts and then do an about-face and start doing activism for human rights, etc.
Fine. But I hope Tim Cook gets an exit strategy from China going. I’ve seen enough of him fawning over China in keynotes. He’s done it less more recently, so I’m hoping that Apple is secretly hatching an exit strategy and just playing it cool so as to not tip their hand too soon.

I do love my iPhone 11 Pro and my iPad mini 5. They’re among the best Apple products I’ve ever owned. Apple products are used in our schools. It would be difficult and sad to leave the ecosystem right now. In that respect I am in the same position Apple is in. So while I rage against all of this I do understand the position Apple/Tim Cook is in.

But I’m not living in this limbo indefinitely. I need to see some movement of Apple away from China. Or I will employ an exist strategy from the Apple ecosystem.

China’s paranoid regime is a malignant cancer. Yes, my government is not saintly either. Few governments are and totalitarianism tends to try and sneak in and erode freedom everywhere. But so far, I am free to make insulting remarks about the president and not worry I’ll be dragged off to be “reformed”. I’m free to worship the deity of my choice in the manner of my choosing and not a president for life. I have no desire to see myself or others enslaved to a real life version of the Borg collective.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i'm honestly not surprised, apple, NBA, blizzard, they are for profit private companies afterall, with chinese being such a big market, they would be foolish to not please the CCP. and its not just the chinese gov't. majority of mainland chinese are against the hong kong protest. so if they don't get the CCP backlash they will surely get it from the mainland folks. these companies are between a rock and a hard place.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Depending on what media you are view, there are alot more videos of the police just randomly arresting people during the day, and a lot more at night. At least the majority of citizens are using this app to avoid the police squads when they go out , for example, to have dinner.
Sure there’s videos of police arresting people during the day but I’m sure it’s not random. Police just don’t walk in the squad and say hey you were going to arrest you today. It’s more like they’re arresting someone for committing a crime. That’s like saying there’s videos in the US of police randomly arresting people. One could debate whether they deserve to be arrested for the said crime but that’s probably for another topic. Will go with your scenario though. Do you really think if this app was in the United States and designed for people wanted by law-enforcement to avoid arrest would stay in the App Store? I could make a strong argument that many people in the United States are arrested unjustly so we should have an app for this so people wanted can avoid police.
[automerge]1570717407[/automerge]
That's assuming a lot; are ALL of the users of the app using it for malicious intent?
You’re right some of the users could be just using it out of curiosity. This don’t mean it won’t be removed from the App Store. The app is being used for criminal purposes so Apple has removed.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Tim's looking real humanitarian oriented these days. Freaking total hypocrite. He gets away with it too because people relentlessly make up excuses for him because he's tied to Apple by virtue of being their CEO... it just can't be so that he isn't at all what he says in preaching like so many other people who claim to be one thing and end up being another. error 404 in computing.

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Just more blood on Tim’s hands. Between the slave labor and now getting protesters killed, he is really a vile, disgusting piece of ****, blinded by profits.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Track us? Like tagged animals? I don’t think so!

They should do their jobs that my taxes pay for, which is patrol and respond to calls. Period. Unless they go through legal channels to put suspects under surveillance.

Everything changed after 9/11 as 6000 people were killed or injured, people forget that number. Organizations taking advantage of our freedoms to kill innocent citizens in our own country. Also people forget that anarchists and crime mobs 100 years ago where causing deaths in america. That is when wire tapping started and the FBI was created, again criminals taking advantage of american freedoms for their own agenda.

Study the past and you know about now and the future.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
i'm honestly not surprised, apple, NBA, blizzard, they are for profit private companies afterall, with chinese being such a big market, they would be foolish to not please the CCP. and its not just the chinese gov't. majority of mainland chinese are against the hong kong protest. so if they don't get the CCP backlash they will surely get it from the mainland folks. these companies are between a rock and a hard place.
It's my understanding that people from Mainland China have to be against the HK protests because their Social Credit Score (read: Gov't-regulated reputation) depends on their compliance with the Gov't's ideologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.