Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
What a bull... so nearly EVERY audio device should be pulled, especially some amps that make your ears falling off your head as soon as you reach volume 6 of 10... argl...:mad:

Go, Sony! Pull all your hardware!! Go!

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I first saw this at ipoding.com earlier today. It has a lot more detailed info

iPod Illegal In France?
Posted by: Hacks on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 01:56 PM EDT
iPod This article (French, english translation) claims iPod does not meet French public health standards.

Apparently, the French government requires portable audio gear to be limited to an output of 100 decibels and current iPods exceed that limit (at 104dB.) The article states that Apple provided "oral notification" to retailers and is requiring them not to sell iPods until a crippled version of the firmware is available to bring French iPods into compliance. The new firmware is expected by October 15th...

Update: Cyril Pavillard, editor in chief of MacGeneration, writes:
I just want to clarify...the iPod situation in France. We have just released an article (French, english translation) after talking with Apple France CEO.

Contrary to Europe which accepts a maximum of 104 db which the iPod respects, France is "only" 100 db. Apple has been aware of the problem for quite a while and is going to release a firmware update on the 8th of october (not the 15th). Adding to this, Apple has recalled all the iPod still in stock by its resellers to replace them by new complying iPods.

Note: Thanks to AceMtp for the forum post leading us to the article.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
Oh man... 4 decibels makes that much of a difference?!?! What hooey.

well - I'm glad Apple is moving on this anyway... I hope there is a Firmware update that only the French need to apply to their iPods. I'm perfectly happy with my LOUDER iPod, thanks.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by gandalf55
Oh man... 4 decibels makes that much of a difference?!?! What hooey.

Actually, every 3dB doubles the sound pressure.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
WHAT? WHATCHA SAY? SORRY, COULDN'T HEAR YOU, I THINK I'VE DONE DAMAGED MY EARS

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by MacRumorSkeptic
The French are unworthy of such a device. They should have it pulled from them decibel problem or not.

– An example of an idiot.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Wow, this thread is incredibly TAME compared to the reader response over at MacNN! If you want to hear some truly sickening anti-French rhetoric, read what they have to say. Man, and we wonder why we Americans get such a bad rap. :rolleyes:

I find it interesting that OSHA allows for a max. of 2 hours each day for an employee to be in an environment that has a constant 100dB sound level. Oh, and guess what the rate is at 105dB? ONE HOUR. It gets reduced BY HALF. That should say something about the difference in decibels we're talking here.

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
I'm fuzzy on the decibel scale...

Does anyone know (or can anyone point me to a link) giving examples of what sounds correspond to what decibel level? Just curious how loud 100db is.

BTW, what is the maximum db level of US iPods?

RL

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: I'm fuzzy on the decibel scale...

Originally posted by RogueLdr
Does anyone know (or can anyone point me to a link) giving examples of what sounds correspond to what decibel level? Just curious how loud 100db is.

Here is a decent list:

http://www.800nonoise.com/tutorial_noiselist.htm

Decibels are tricky to measure. A 5 dB noise reduction is about 30% quieter and represents a 50% decrease in the risk of hearing loss!

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by MacRumorSkeptic
The French are unworthy of such a device. They should have it pulled from them decibel problem or not.

I hate to agree, but I do. We get nothing but greif from the French. Here's four letters that they hate to hear: WWII

And don't forget it you frogs! If it wasn't for us, you'd be paying for those illegal iPods with German Marks instead of Francs.

You lay down for Hitler, Kadafi, and Saddam but stand up to Apple computer? Please... Grow a backbone! :eek:

sjeantet

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
Ok, so I understand that loud volumes, especially over a long period of time, can hurt the ears. But honestly, since when is it the job of the government to monitor how I abuse my ears? No one, not even the French government, is going to stop me from staring into the sun all day and killing my eyes. Not that I would, but it's my right and privilege to abuse myself in any way I choose!

katchow

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
I hate to agree, but I do. We get nothing but greif from the French. Here's four letters that they hate to hear: WWII

And don't forget it you frogs! If it wasn't for us, you'd be paying for those illegal iPods with German Marks instead of Francs.

gee, i guess if you want to look at things that way...what about the american revolutionary war? where would we have been without the french? maybe you would be using using pounds right now...

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>No one, not even the French government, is going to stop me from staring into the sun all day and killing my eyes. Not that I would, but it's my right and privilege to abuse myself in any way I choose!

Dear GOD!
<authoratative Voice> In the Public's interest, the Government exists, for YOUR safety & welfare, we will now be building the largest superdome ever, to block out the sun for the majority of the day </authoratative Voice>

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by big
Dear GOD!
<authoratative Voice> In the Public's interest, the Government exists, for YOUR safety & welfare, we will now be building the largest superdome ever, to block out the sun for the majority of the day </authoratative Voice>

Shades of 1984...

**shudder**

<sarcasm>But of course, big authoritarian governments know what's best for you. We will tell you how to live your life..</sarcasm>

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>governments know what's best for you.

but remember, it's all for the "Common Good of the people"

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Originally posted by big
>governments know what's best for you.

but remember, it's all for the "Common Good of the people"

The American catch phrase is: "National Security" or, more recently: "Homeland Security":eek:

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by sjeantet
Ok, so I understand that loud volumes, especially over a long period of time, can hurt the ears. But honestly, since when is it the job of the government to monitor how I abuse my ears? No one, not even the French government, is going to stop me from staring into the sun all day and killing my eyes. Not that I would, but it's my right and privilege to abuse myself in any way I choose!

yeh - it is . but it *is* the governments problem (or society generally) when others have to pick up the tab for someone injuring themselves. smoking for instance - or riding a mototbike without a helmet, or doing heroin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.