Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 17.4, the fourth major update to the tvOS 17 operating system that came out last September. tvOS 17.4 comes over a month after the release of tvOS 17.3.

apple-tv-4k-red-image.jpg

tvOS 17.4 can be downloaded using the Settings app on the ‌Apple TV‌. Go to System > Software Update to get the new software. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates activated will be upgraded to tvOS 17.4 automatically.

Compared to other operating system updates, tvOS 17.4 updates are often minor in scale, focusing on bug fixes and other small improvements. We did not find new features during the tvOS 17.4 beta testing process.

Apple shares release notes for tvOS in its tvOS support document, which is updated after each new version of tvOS comes out.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 17.4

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Yes we saw the 17.4 RC just on March 4th, and now on March 7th it goes public. Thats fast.

Released today
  • macOS 14.4 (23E214) - March 7, 2024
  • tvOS 17.4 (21L227) - March 7, 2024
  • visionOS 1.1 (21O211) - March 7, 2024
  • watchOS 10.4 (21T216) - March 7, 2024

Reactions: leonmckee

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Hope Apple have fixed the jittery user chooser in the tvOS Control Centre.

That glitch has caused me, and family members, to choose the wrong user multiple times when switching. It seems to have appeared in tvOS 17.3…

Reactions: Mother Nature

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
“Compared to other operating system updates, tvOS 17.4 updates are often minor in scale”
Is that from your extensive experience with all the other tvOS 17.4 updates?
Very true. I've never found myself bowled over by these updates. Often I shrug and go "meh."

odie3

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Since tvOS 17 I have to regularly reboot my AppleTV because it stops loading apps. I get to the app's first loading screen and then it just hangs. It isn't a few of my apps but once this hang starts on any app, they all hang. So I am pretty sure it isn't a app bug (unless they all have the same bug, which would be odd).

Last week I even did a full AppleTV reset (since I did start with tvOS 17 betas), hoping that would solve my problem. Nope, in about 3 days the hangs started again :'(

Here to hoping that is gone but I doubt it.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I’d be happy if they just stopped pushing AppleTV+ advertisements all over the home screen and focused on what is available / subscribed. There is a whole tab for AppleTV+ already.
That would help, agreed.

I also have a lot of wanted improvements surrounding the Store section (like wishlist capabilities and better visibility of sales) and the Movie and TV Library (like being able to watch TV episodes without it automatically playing the next episode afterwards, and being able to click on a movie and getting more info).

Luckily, my main Apple TV remains on the last tvOS update to still include access to iTunes Movies and iTunes TV. My secondary Apple TV gets the latest updates, so I can see how the Apple TV app is coming along.

AppleComputer

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
Cupertino, CA

Apple today released tvOS 17.4, the fourth major update to the tvOS 17 operating system that came out last September. tvOS 17.4 comes over a month after the release of tvOS 17.3.

apple-tv-4k-red-image.jpg

tvOS 17.4 can be downloaded using the Settings app on the ‌Apple TV‌. Go to System > Software Update to get the new software. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates activated will be upgraded to tvOS 17.4 automatically.

Compared to other operating system updates, tvOS 17.4 updates are often minor in scale, focusing on bug fixes and other small improvements. We did not find new features during the tvOS 17.4 beta testing process.

Apple shares release notes for tvOS in its tvOS support document, which is updated after each new version of tvOS comes out.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 17.4
I put my Apple TV 4K on the beta a month or so back and it fixed an issue I had been having with airplay to my HomePods where I could not adjust the volume of them individually. Otherwise loving the newest release.

Reactions: zapmymac

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
5 ATV's all 4k versions updated no issues. Looks like they finally show yourpurchases/searches as movies/shows Apple first and the actual quality (like 4k) instead of hiding it and not knowing what version it is.

IllegitimateValor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2023
HDMI remotes usually connect directly, right? Had to reprogram it in (if that’s the case) to have a remote working again besides the iOS one

Selandia

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
No dolby atmos after update to 17.4. I can force it to work ones at the time, turn off atmos and turn on atmos again in apple tv setup, it only works one time and only in apps like disney and netflix. Movies brought on the store I can no force dolby atmos to work, no sound. I can change to dolby digital in apple tv setup and i have sound.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I’d be happy if they just stopped pushing AppleTV+ advertisements all over the home screen and focused on what is available / subscribed. There is a whole tab for AppleTV+ already.

It's been a known problem for a while now but the streaming services don't seem to care. It's a baffling ordeal to just keep watching what I want to see.

It's just like Blurays that make you sit through ten minutes of previews of old movies and piracy warnings to punish you for doing the right thing.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
tvOS and the AppleTV app have become nothing short of hot garbage lately. The removal of the Movie and TV stores, the annihilation of wishlists and trailers, the takeover of the big image on the AppleTV app’s Home Screen for advertising instead of user content, the increasingly useless tools for managing content and subscriptions you already own, an overbearing emphasis on Apple branded content ads, a list of obvious and annoying bugs as long as your arm, pointless interface inconsistencies…

Apple really should just nuke the Apple TV and associated software part and parcel and then rebuild the whole thing from the ground up. Because in its current iteration it’s an embarrassment.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
tvOS and the AppleTV app have become nothing short of hot garbage lately. The removal of the Movie and TV stores, the annihilation of wishlists and trailers, the takeover of the big image on the AppleTV app’s Home Screen for advertising instead of user content, the increasingly useless tools for managing content and subscriptions you already own, an overbearing emphasis on Apple branded content ads, a list of obvious and annoying bugs as long as your arm, pointless interface inconsistencies…

Apple really should just nuke the Apple TV and associated software part and parcel and then rebuild the whole thing from the ground up. Because in its current iteration it’s an embarrassment.
Agreed, or just walk back the removal of the iTunes stores. Those worked great. They closed those stores to save money and highlight their own subscription service, and to help push people to just subscribe to things instead of buying/renting content.

Sure, it could increase their recurring revenue, but they’re pushing away digital collectors and impulse buyers/renters.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Agreed, or just walk back the removal of the iTunes stores. Those worked great. They closed those stores to save money and highlight their own subscription service, and to help push people to just subscribe to things instead of buying/renting content.

Sure, it could increase their recurring revenue, but they’re pushing away digital collectors and impulse buyers/renters.

I think their whole drive is to move people away from buying movies and shows just like they moved people away from buying songs on iTunes. But the timing is weird. People are turning back to physical media. Owning content on the Movie and TV stores isn’t ideal, but at least it’s better than being at the mercy of the whims of the various subscription streamers.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
What would make the Apple TV the must have smart hub for your TV? Not much since all the amazing things it would do would be limited to those owning Apple products. IF one could run a Mac, android or windows app on your phones and tablets and computers that would connect those devices in ways that are compelling, that would be something. But apple doesnt play ball like that so Apple TV will be just as annoying as it is useful. On mine all the entertainment I get from it are from non Apple apps because there are too many hoops to jump through to do so. They keep doing it that way and they'll just build a user base who will avoid such a product by the time they upgrade again.

Reactions: RIP_SJobs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.