Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wombert

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Just out of the blue, mine started to work again. Today.
You're saying power on/off worked, but now suddenly arrow keys or OK are working again, as well?

It's been less of a problem with HDMI 2.0, but earlier versions of HDMI it cropped up more often. Sometimes you can solve this problem by disabling CEC on devices and then re-enabling it. I have a couple of examples working with 17.4.
It's not a handshake issue. I've restarted the chain as a whole, and individually, several times.

I captured HDMI CEC logs from my TV that show all devices, including the Apple TV, registering correctly and responding to the usual status messages (GUI name, power state, playback state, etc).

It's also reacting correctly to a source selection command (my Apple TV has logical address 4 in the chain):

Code:
03-10 14:39:29.726 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<Give Device Power Status> 04:8F
03-10 14:39:29.954 I HdmiCecController: [R]:<Report Power Status> 40:90:01
03-10 14:39:30.296 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<Set Stream Path> 0F:86:35:00
03-10 14:39:30.967 I HdmiCecController: [R]:<Report Power Status> 4F:90:00
03-10 14:39:30.968 I HdmiCecController: [R]:<Image View On> 40:04
03-10 14:39:31.111 I HdmiCecController: [R]:<Active Source> 4F:82:35:00

First the TV (0) asks the Apple TV (4) for its power status (8F), to which the Apple TV (4) responds to the TV (0) with a power status report (90) of "standby" (01).

The TV (0) then broadcasts (F) a stream path change (86) to logical address 3.5.0.0 (35:00), which is the Apple TV.

In turn, the Apple TV (4) broadcasts (F) a power status report (90) of "on" (00).

Then the Apple TV (4) tells the TV (0) that it has begun outputting video (04).

Finally, the Apple TV (4) broadcasts (F) an active source indication (82) using its logical address 3.5.0.0 (35:00).

So the CEC stuff works just fine. It's just that button presses destined for the Apple TV are now ignored, here's a log of their transmission:

Code:
03-10 14:39:45.608 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<User Control Pressed> 04:44:03
03-10 14:39:45.791 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<User Control Release> 04:45
03-10 14:39:49.606 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<User Control Pressed> 04:44:40
03-10 14:39:49.716 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<User Control Release> 04:45
03-10 14:39:55.578 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<User Control Pressed> 04:44:09
03-10 14:39:55.696 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<User Control Release> 04:45
03-10 14:39:58.637 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<User Control Pressed> 04:44:0B
03-10 14:39:58.741 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<User Control Release> 04:45
03-10 14:40:01.053 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<User Control Pressed> 04:44:0A
03-10 14:40:01.171 I HdmiCecController: [S]:<User Control Release> 04:45

FWIW, there are no responses to these in the CEC spec, so this log looks the same in tvOS 17.3.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So Dolby Vision is broken on my Apple TV4K since the update. The screen has multi-color "snow" when DV is engaged. Non-DV HDR is fine as is SDR. Saw it first in the Disney+ app, but also in Netflix as well as the menu if I engage DV (I normally run 4K SDR with Match enabled). My TV is an LG G2 65".

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
So Dolby Vision is broken on my Apple TV4K since the update. The screen has multi-color "snow" when DV is engaged. Non-DV HDR is fine as is SDR. Saw it first in the Disney+ app, but also in Netflix as well as the menu if I engage DV (I normally run 4K SDR with Match enabled). My TV is an LG G2 65".
Is the Match Dynamic Range enabled in Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content? Just wondering if the update changed something from the usual defaults?

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Is the Match Dynamic Range enabled in Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content? Just wondering if the update changed something from the usual defaults?

Yes those settings are still enabled. When DV starts, regardless of the app, the screen goes wonky.

Wombert

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
This update broke CEC over HDMI…

Same issue here.

After updating to tvOS 17.4 my Mi tv remote does not work anymore. Cannot control Apple TV anymore. 17.3 has not issues at all. CEC is working fine before update to 17.4.

Is there anyway I can roll back to 17.3. Instead of using 1 remote, now I need 2 remotes, to control the TV and control AppleTV.

I hope a fix is coming up soon.

omg - really?

I have 4 of these things at a rental home where CEC over HDMI is absolutely critical

Came here just for this same problem. Thought I was going crazy. Disabled family member could only use the TV remote now it’s impossible for them to navigate with the horrible glass trackpad remote.

Glad I’m not the only one experiencing this issue. Hopefully the fix comes soon and best of luck to you as well. 🙂

JFC Apple
C'mon --

You can't release updates that NUKE basic functionality like this ---
Absolutely INFURIATING

Since tvOS 17.4, I lost the HDMI_CEC functionality. I cannot control the AppleTV with my TV-remote-control.

Just out of the blue, mine started to work again. Today.

I always look forward to updates, but this time tvOS 17.4 broke CEC. I see it’s not just me but all over. I pray for a quick update to fix this.

Same. Mine is nerfed too. Apple better be on this.

Y'all should submit a bug report by entering applefeedback:// into the Safari URL bar (which opens Feedback Assistant.app).

My Feedback ID is FB13683671 in case you'd like to reference it in your reports. I enclosed logs from my TV, posts here on the forum as proof of other folks affected, etc.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

And now it magically works again. *shrug*

• Wow
Reactions: Realityck

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
Oh no 😱. Not again CEC. I love my Apple TV 4K, but the touch remote must be Apple's worst design ever. Using the Apple TV with my Samsung remote is a much better experience. I hope there will be a fix soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: RIP_SJobs

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Y'all should submit a bug report by entering applefeedback:// into the Safari URL bar (which opens Feedback Assistant.app).

My Feedback ID is FB13683671 in case you'd like to reference it in your reports. I enclosed logs from my TV, posts here on the forum as proof of other folks affected, etc.

I don’t believe Apple even looks at that.

Reactions: RIP_SJobs

RIP_SJobs

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
Yep, Apple is a shell of its former insanely great "it just works" self and Jobs rolls in his grave constantly. No one at Apple seems to care about quality anymore - it's all form over function and no elevator rides with the CEO to get it right b/c he also ate all of their dog food. Tim Cook is an empty figurehead. I just updated my AppleTV, and now, after YEARS of using my SONY TV remote just fine, I can't watch anything but the top previews and then the screensaver (pretty as the latter may be, I've better things to do), b/c who the heck even knows where the Apple remote disppeared to (and surely it's dead and won't charge) after all these years.
Nice work, Tim Cook and co., a real greatly insane half-baked job! it's not like AppleTV does much of ANYTHING, so not even getting something as basic and intergral as HDMI-CEC right speaks volumes about their lack of QA. If it weren't for their streaming service, I'm sure these would already long-since been tossed onto the same trash heap as the AirPort base station line. Utter waste of potential and a company lost at sea. Good luck to them when they run out of pages from Steve's deathbed notebook, if they haven't already...

UPDATE: The above, and the following are just 2 more/latest examples of how far Apple has fallen:
macOS Sonoma 14.4 Causing USB Hub Issues for Some Users

Last edited:
Reactions: Surf Monkey

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
Now also I'm getting HDCP errors on the Apple TV. Never happened before. Something is really broken about this tvOS release.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

RIP_SJobs

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
Now also I'm getting HDCP errors on the Apple TV. Never happened before. Something is really broken about this tvOS release.
If only it were tvOS 17.4 or Sonoma 14.4, but sadly something is really broken about Apple - as a company, and for years now, and getting worse with every release. They need to rethink and reinvest in QA and then actually USE it - for EVERYTHING. Pretty hardware and proprietary chips will only get you so far if what runs on it is crap. "It just works" needs to be a holy mantra again.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
Pretty hardware and proprietary chips will only get you so far if what runs on it is crap. "It just works" needs to be a holy mantra again.
I don't disagree. But I also don't see regular customers jumping ship in droves yet. Comparatively things are still not "bad enough". Where Apple seems to have lost some ground anecdotally, is in very niche and very pro circles, where compatibility with niche hardware is important and a lot of raw computing is power needed. The average user seems to be quite content with Apple's offering.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I don't disagree. But I also don't see regular customers jumping ship in droves yet. Comparatively things are still not "bad enough". Where Apple seems to have lost some ground anecdotally, is in very niche and very pro circles, where compatibility with niche hardware is important an a lot of raw computing power needed. The average user seems to be quite content with Apple's offering.

I’m not so sure about that. The mainstream take on Apple at the moment seems to be “stale and out of touch.”

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Same problem here with my ATV 4K, I’ve been on holiday for a week and come home to find it’s updated itself to tvOS 17.4 and now HDMI-CEC no longer works :(

Is there any way to downgrade it back to 17.3?

• Sad
Reactions: turbineseaplane

amexpp

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021

It's been less of a problem with HDMI 2.0, but earlier versions of HDMI it cropped up more often. Sometimes you can solve this problem by disabling CEC on devices and then re-enabling it. I have a couple of examples working with 17.4.
My setup: Sony Bravia TV, Apple TV 4K 2nd generation. I use the Apple TV remote control to switch my TV on and off and adjust the volume etc. Everything worked great. After the update to 17.4, switching on the TV and Apple TV works normally, the volume control also works - actually everything as before the update ONLY switching off the TV including Apple TV no longer works. That means switching off works, TV off, Apple TV off, but after a few seconds Apple TV and the TV switch on again. Sometimes I only have to repeat this 2 times, sometimes 5...7 times until Apple TV and the TV are definitely switched off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.