Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Disgusting comments, though not surprising. But comments made by people who most likely never experienced a racism so profound that society was institutionalized around it.

Well there are always a few nasty pieces of work but the quantity of racist apologist posts here and the corresponding thumbing up is indeed surprising.

If this continues MacRumors might need to rebrand itself as StormFrontRumors.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Well there are always a few nasty pieces of work but the quantity of racist apologist posts here and the corresponding thumbing up is indeed surprising.

Ah, when it comes down to it, it's just 12-15 strongly opinionated people (and maybe 2x-3x shadow supporters) in a Mac forum.

While it's a cohort that one needs to be aware of (and govern oneself accordingly), it isn't that big of a deal. A shame they hold that opinion (because if cats like Mandela or MLK can't meet their "standards," then there's no point in attempting to persuade against their perspectives).

On topic, I appreciate Apple's move to honor the man's life.

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

The American Revolutionaries weren't exactly Teletubbies, but the end justified the means.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

The American Revolutionaries weren't exactly Teletubbies, but the end justified the means.

Just like how America dropped two nuclear weapons to end a war. The only country to have ever used them in war, one of the reasons people see the country as the biggest terrorists..

But thankfully I think lesson learnt after Iraq and Afghanistan, I hope, and it is very commendable how they are dealing with Iran.

But who cares right? We will all enjoy our comfy central heating whilst in other countries children are dying because they can't get any water or food. Makes you think.

pah going OT now, IMO Religion, Capitalism, Politicians have a LOT to answer for what happens in the world.

Last edited:

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I don't see how living in a country filled with murder and diseases is better than in an oppressive prosperous country. Trading bad for worse is hardly an accomplishment.

How did it get worse for black people? Explain.

Were black people better off under apartheid?

----------

I think it's because there are so many white people in tech, and when you have so many white people, a large percentage of them aren't going to be able to contain their racism.

Many of them have no idea that they're racist scum. There are people posting that actually think black people were better off under apartheid than they are now.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I don't see how living in a country filled with murder and diseases is better than in an oppressive prosperous country. Trading bad for worse is hardly an accomplishment.

Was it prosperous for the blacks?

Was it murder and disease free?

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Don't believe that. Too many bar fights are staged while the thief goes to work.

America's "Klan" is basically an FBI jobs program, so it's no mystery who supported apartheid all those years.

Hmmm...and all these years I had thought the KKK had been pretty much wiped out, but in actuality they are a secret training program for the FBI? Thanks, good to know. :p

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010

FYI, murder has decreased in South Africa since the end of Apartheid ...

... new research by the South African Institute of Race Relations (SAIRR) shows that levels of murder are decreasing—particularly when the increased population is taken into account. In 1994/95 there were 25,965 people murdered in South Africa, and in 2008/09 there were 18,148, accounting for the 30% decrease in numbers.

Proportionally, however, there has been a decrease of 44%, from 70 per 100,000 South Africans in 1994/95 to 37 per 100,000 in 2008/09.

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2009-12-03-murder-down-30-since-1994-research-shows

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
Of course they did help facilitate Nazi genocide, so there is that too...

----------

It is if you are not targeting hardened, strategic miltiary targets but instead soft civilian targets with the goal of striking fear in the populace to effect political coercion. That's kind of the definition of terrorism.

It's not. It's the powerless fighting the powerful. Terrorism is the other way round.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
How classy.

Gotta love corporations using a tragedy to promote their products. Same crap with the 9-11 commercials, elicit an emotional response, then plug your Made in China crap.

:mad:

----------

Thoughtful of Apple. RIP Nelson Mandela.

Yes, thoughtful. They thought about how they can use the event to promote their products.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
What have you done with your life?

I can absolutely assure you that the Pope and the church has given more to the world than you and your kin for a thousand years.

----------

I always love the "demographic x were better off being oppressed" position.

They don't see it as "oppression", they see it as saving demographic x from themselves. Unfortunately, it's hard to counter their position with bright success stories of non corrupt self governing African countries.

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Incorrect. Mandela said that there is "no alternative to armed and violent resistance" and helped organize the ANC into a cell structure to facilitate persistent violence. Over the years, the ANC was involved in the deaths of thousands. This went on for thirty years, during which time Mandela somehow convinced a bunch of people he was a man of peace.

Now a person could well come to the conclusion that violence was justified against apartheid (or communism for that matter). However, the point remains that Mandela was a man of violence, nothing like JP2.

Mandela became famous for what he did after he renounced violence. And what he did after he renounced violence is what succeeded in ending apartheid in South Africa.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Did Apple ever once publicly speak out against apartheid while it was in effect?

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, thoughtful. They thought about how they can use the event to promote their products.

Well customers visiting the Apple site are visiting the Apple site for Apple products. I am pretty sure that they are not visiting it for Nelson Mandela than going to buy Apple products :rolleyes:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Did Apple ever once publicly speak out against apartheid while it was in effect?

Does this count?

nelsonmandela.jpg

Nelson Mandela: Steve Jobs Wanted Him For Apple’s Think Different Campaign

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I understand that kind of tribute for Steve Jobs, but what Apple doing now is just PR Marketing ...

Apple using very low PR strategy (based on that kind of sad events) to promote themselves ... nothing more, just to earn sympathy.

Mr. Nelson Mandela - great man indeed. RIP.

Ridiculous comment. Apple IS made up of human beings you know, you do realize it's very possible they were just being the good guy and paying their respects? Not everything by Apple is done by agenda, unlike your post which is just to make them look bad because of your own personal feelings. :rolleyes:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
How classy.

Gotta love corporations using a tragedy to promote their products. Same crap with the 9-11 commercials, elicit an emotional response, then plug your Made in China crap.

----------

And yet, they aren't actually promoting their products.

Think about it (I know it's hard to challenge your own preconceived notions, but hey, give it a try):
- This isn't distributed -- you'd have to visit Apple's main page to see the tribute.
- Normally, someone visiting the main page would see a product promotion
- Today they are seeing Nelson Mandela.
So they are actually losing on the product promotion side.
It's not like they showed a pic of Mandela with an iPhone.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
And yet, they aren't actually promoting their products.

Think about it (I know it's hard to challenge your own preconceived notions, but hey, give it a try):
- This isn't distributed -- you'd have to visit Apple's main page to see the tribute.
- Normally, someone visiting the main page would see a product promotion
- Today they are seeing Nelson Mandela.
So they are actually losing on the product promotion side.
It's not like they showed a pic of Mandela with an iPhone.

Hey, I didn't visit Apple's main page, but I saw it.

Apple is trying to associate itself with a popular public figure, without that person's or their family's consent. Without paying a dime to the family or to support their cause.

Slimy, to say the least.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
They don't see it as "oppression", they see it as saving demographic x from themselves. Unfortunately, it's hard to counter their position with bright success stories of non corrupt self governing African countries.

I don't disagree that European colonialism has brought literacy, science and technological and medical advancement to many dark corners of the globe.

But people do have a right to self determination/destruction over being occupied and oppressed by a foreign power.

Though if one were to ask if it is better to live under Mugabe or in Rhodesia...

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Incorrect. Mandela said that there is "no alternative to armed and violent resistance" and helped organize the ANC into a cell structure to facilitate persistent violence. Over the years, the ANC was involved in the deaths of thousands. This went on for thirty years, during which time Mandela somehow convinced a bunch of people he was a man of peace.

Now a person could well come to the conclusion that violence was justified against apartheid (or communism for that matter). However, the point remains that Mandela was a man of violence, nothing like JP2.

Freedom fighter or man of violence? Guess it depends on which side you are on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.