Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The propaganda is ripe on both sides concerning this issue. I guess the idea of a “free market” is an illusion. Google, Meta (Facebook), Instagram, TikTok, WeChat, etc are all offenders of privacy which according to Apple is a Human Right (I agree). So why is Apple playing this sham game of taking sides.

If only Apple adopted USB-C on iPhone with such gusto.

Reactions: Boyyai and eXan

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
True but ultimately there are ways to inform yourself, you need to put in more of an effort of course. But if you’re a critical person not just since yesterday you probably have figured out your channels for information.
Not taking sides however where do you place the USA when it occupies other Nations and please don’t feed me nonsense about “freeing the people”. I don’t remember anyone appointing the USA to be a police of the world or is it bullying such a fine line and so opaque.

Reactions: Boyyai and alexandr

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Yes. If you remember Article 5 of the NATO treaty: An attack on one NATO party is an attack on them all. To reinforce that fact other NATO parties participate in actions against our adversary however they see fit, which in this case is supporting the UK's sanctions against Russian tech oligarchs.

In terms of Huawei that can be more interpreted with Article 3: "In order more effectively to achieve the objectives of this Treaty, the Parties, separately and jointly, by means of continuous and effective self-help and mutual aid, will maintain and develop their individual and collective capacity to resist armed attack." The reason Huawei is banned in the United States is because their phones and commlines were being wiretapped trying to easedrop on our government infrastructure and other corporations and organizations. So the European NATO members followed suit cancelling their 5G tower upgrades with Huawei.

There's a reason NATO has stuck around decades after the Iron Curtain fell.

images
You do realise that the USA wanted and invited Russia to join NATO in early 90’s. History I know, I know it’s so yesteryear who has the time 😝

Reactions: Sean J

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
But don't we in the West have a tendency to educate ourselves of external viewpoints but dismiss them as local propaganda, whilst never questioning our internal viewpoints?

I worked with a number of Russian colleagues up till a few weeks ago when their offices got closed down. Some of them were well aware of what was really going on in Ukraine, others weren't. But it was also interesting to learn from them that the picture the Western media was painting of the impact of sanctions in Moscow was heavily exaggerated and in some cases just untrue. Yet no one questioned this Western propaganda.
Media is propaganda used by Government’s and does not matter what corner of the globe it is coming from. Stay educated, stay neutral and make informed decisions.

Unfortunately most people claim to have no time and watch MSM and regurgitate they talking points. SMH

Nobody found it strange that the FBI approached Facebook to hide or claim things about a certain somebodies laptop was “fake news”. 🤔

• Haha

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Many is not most. Do yourself a favor and read about split Russian families. Those still living in Russia believe quite strongly what they've been told, and won't listen at all to expat Russians who have tried to warn them that they're being fed lies.

Regardless, taking some extra time to look at any situation objectively, instead of just believing what you're being told on state run tv (which should already be a warning flag to most), isn't exactly hard, and yet they're not interested.

This isn't any different than those that choose to believe MAGA lies about stolen elections, or Q Anon nonsense. They're choosing to believe what isn't true, and supporting liars willfully.

Russians are not innocent. They are willing participants.
My partner is Russian (we don’t live in Russia), their family all lives in Russia. The family relationship is currently torn, with regular arguments taking place. My partner shares external news sources and citations with her family, trying to show an external viewpoint, and is immediately shot down saying that the content is staged/false/incorrect. Such is the brainwashing of the peoples. They are all well educated, with degrees and so on. Yet there almost appears to be a religious truth inside the country, at least for the family and friends that I regularly speak to there, that they are in the right and cannot be questioned.

It is heartbreaking to see, and difficult to remain grounded.

Regarding the removal of the VK app, I am in two minds about it. On the one hand, spreading of false information is bad. On the other hand, it’s how many people such as myself and my family communicate and maintain relationships with each other.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Media is propaganda used by Government’s and does not matter what corner of the globe it is coming from. Stay educated, stay neutral and make informed decisions.

Unfortunately most people claim to have no time and watch MSM and regurgitate they talking points. SMH

Nobody found it strange that the FBI approached Facebook to hide or claim things about a certain somebodies laptop was “fake news”. 🤔
It's odd that you would put misinformation in a post lecturing people about regurgitating propaganda.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Oh such a shame.

Putin’s cronies and pimps will have to stop using the iOS app to groom teens.

This isn’t a joke.

That’s what they have been doing for years.

Groom them, then pimp them in Dubai and use them as spies.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Many don't actually support, but speaking out isn't an option for them. And many of those that support Putin's activities do so based on the story they're fed, which is very different to the story we're fed in the West.
'story we're fed in the West'
That sounds to me like an insane attempt to put something on equal footing. Please inform yourself before you try something like this.
Read Putler's speech, you have to look for something so confused in the West for a long time these days, rejoice!

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Oh such a shame.

Putin’s cronies and pimps will have to stop using the iOS app to groom teens.

This isn’t a joke.

That’s what they have been doing for years.

Groom them, then pimp them in Dubai and use them as spies.
At least Sir Edward Heath of the UK never had any of these issues. The word on the street is that he was burying them straight in the garden after he was done with them.

• Haha

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Not taking sides however where do you place the USA when it occupies other Nations and please don’t feed me nonsense about “freeing the people”. I don’t remember anyone appointing the USA to be a police of the world or is it bullying such a fine line and so opaque.
Actually, both USA and Russia have the right to be a "global police" as a winners in WWII and whether somebody likes it or not the 1945 world order is still pretty much intact. USA was just more active about it and Russia was way too passive and not exactly "collecting" on its victories.

So yes it is not only Russia's right but it is also a responsibility to make sure that no neighboring territory declares the nazi collaborator Stepan Bandera as its national hero and have a tatoo parlors that can do a swastika tattoos let alone banning people from speaking their mother-tongue Russian language.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Actually, both USA and Russia have the right to be a "global police" as a winners in WWII and whether somebody likes it or not the 1945 world order is still pretty much intact. USA was just more active about it and Russia was way too passive and not exactly "collecting" on its victories.

So yes it is not only Russia's right but it is also a responsibility to make sure that no neighboring territory declares the nazi collaborator Stepan Bandera as its national hero and have a tatoo parlors that can do a swastika tattoos let alone banning people from speaking their mother-tongue Russian language.
that's not the point, you know
Putler doesn't care about, he wants something else, don't play child

Last edited:

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099

No, no country has the right to do this. The difference is — USA can afford to, and Russia can't. The USSR tried to and went bankrupt. Russia is not the USSR, and cannot compete.

Also, you must not be aware of how many swastika tattoos you will find in Russia vs. the Ukraine. Bet you'd be surprised...

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
What happened to free speech? Many people on the app don’t agree with putin, the people suffering are innocent Russians.

Nothing happened to free speech. This is part of the ever tightening sanctions on Russia and Russian companies that directly work with the state. The dissenting Russian strawman has all the tools they need inside Russia to do whatever magical thing they need to do yet have been unable to do in the last 31 years to turn their ship around.

Seriously, not being able to install mail.ru and VK apps on new iPhones they aren't even able to buy in Russia anyway is not the end of the world.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
That sounds to me like an insane attempt to put something on equal footing.
No it isn't. I think you're misinterpreting 'story' as something that can't be true. My point is that whilst we may be making opinions based on a story that more accurately reflects the reality than the story being promoted by Putin & Co, it is also true that 'our' story has also been manipulated with a degree of propaganda. I remember telling a Russian colleague how the UK media was reporting on life in Moscow under the sanctions - he just laughed.

I made no claim of equivalence.

Reactions: Morgenland

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

More propaganda. Ukraine rejected the naming of Bandera as a national hero, and didn't ban people from speaking Russian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.