Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
My black iPhone 11 had a very bad battery so I sent it to Apple Repair under warranty. There's no Apple Store in my country so it was shipped off from Ireland to Czech Republic and took about a week to be returned.

When I got it back I noticed I could see where they shoved something under the screen at the bottom of the phone to open the phone because the black aluminium is now silver in that spot. Next I noticed the camera cluster has what's either condensation or glue under the frosted glass which looks awful to me. Then on closer inspection the glass on the back is scratched.

I have really bad OCD so this phone was in perfect condition before I sent it to Apple and I even took photos of it before I put it in the box.

I called Apple Support and they were very apologetic and said they would sort it which I appreciated. They asked if I could send photos which I did. They said they'd talk to the Apple Repair and get back to me.

They got back to me 3 days later and said I'd have to send it back to Apple Repair to "take a look" at it or they'd offer me free AirPods. I said I don't want more AirPods and I can't be without the phone for another week (it was ok for one week over the holiday period). I said I wanted the phone replaced but they said there was nothing else they could do. I asked if this could be escalated to management and they said there was nobody higher and they don't have a team to escalate to. After about 10 minutes of me suggesting they could direct me to another department or that they must have a manager themselves they eventually said they would show the case and pictures to their manager and get back to me on Monday.

I'm waiting to hear back now but I'm really disappointed in this kind of treatment. Apple damaged my phone and I was offered AirPods or to send it off to Apple Repair again with no guaranteed resolution for sending it off for another week. To me that doesn't seem right. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've attached a picture of the camera cluster because that's the most obvious damage and the photo shows it more clearly than the other damage.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    523 KB · Views: 716

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Not ideal and I understand your frustration but unless you are willing to send it back you will get nothing out of them other than the free airpods which won't be offered as an admission of any fault. Even if you could get a new device out of them, it will not happen without returning the phone for further inspection.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Even if you could get a new device out of them, it will not happen without returning the phone for further inspection.
I just think they'll receive it again and say it's normal wear and tear for the age of the device or something. But might be the only option.

The other thing I'd be worried about is sending it off again and it comes back with even more damage because they clearly don't handle the devices with care.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Agree with LeeW here, you’ll have to cooperate and send the phone back. Fingers crossed you’ll get a good resolution shortly.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
My black iPhone 11 had a very bad battery so I sent it to Apple Repair under warranty. There's no Apple Store in my country so it was shipped off from Ireland to Czech Republic and took about a week to be returned.

When I got it back I noticed I could see where they shoved something under the screen at the bottom of the phone to open the phone because the black aluminium is now silver in that spot. Next I noticed the camera cluster has what's either condensation or glue under the frosted glass which looks awful to me. Then on closer inspection the glass on the back is scratched.

I have really bad OCD so this phone was in perfect condition before I sent it to Apple and I even took photos of it before I put it in the box.

I called Apple Support and they were very apologetic and said they would sort it which I appreciated. They asked if I could send photos which I did. They said they'd talk to the Apple Repair and get back to me.

They got back to me 3 days later and said I'd have to send it back to Apple Repair to "take a look" at it or they'd offer me free AirPods. I said I don't want more AirPods and I can't be without the phone for another week (it was ok for one week over the holiday period). I said I wanted the phone replaced but they said there was nothing else they could do. I asked if this could be escalated to management and they said there was nobody higher and they don't have a team to escalate to. After about 10 minutes of me suggesting they could direct me to another department or that they must have a manager themselves they eventually said they would show the case and pictures to their manager and get back to me on Monday.

I'm waiting to hear back now but I'm really disappointed in this kind of treatment. Apple damaged my phone and I was offered AirPods or to send it off to Apple Repair again with no guaranteed resolution for sending it off for another week. To me that doesn't seem right. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've attached a picture of the camera cluster because that's the most obvious damage and the photo shows it more clearly than the other damage.
a more radical suggestion from me-

get the new free AirPods
dispose off this iPhone that you no longer like

look around for a completely new device to fit your budget
with the OCD you will always the unsettled
forget about all this and move on

AJTC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Sometimes just getting some responses makes you see the rational solution so I’ll send it back when they call me on Monday.

It’s just annoying because it was a perfectly good phone and being without it for so long is an inconvenience.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks for the replies. Sometimes just getting some responses makes you see the rational solution so I’ll send it back when they call me on Monday.

It’s just annoying because it was a perfectly good phone and being without it for so long is an inconvenience.
You have every right to be annoyed at this inconvenience. I certainly would be.

When you are contacted by Apple again, be polite. Things like this happen from time to time. Let them know you you expect to receive a phone that is commiserate in condition to what Apple originally received from you. If your OCD has been clinically diagnosed by and treated by your current doctor, Apple needs to know this as well, so that they are clear you will be inspecting the phone union receipt. If your OCD is the typical forum kind, then don't bother with that line of discussion, as you will come across as being unreasonable etc.

In my opinion, Apple has create customer service and rises above when dealing with problems like this.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
Is this common that they actually replace the batteries now rather than swap out the phone for a refurbished model?

My X needs a new battery.

Good luck to OP! Hope they resolve it for you quickly!

Reactions: AJTC

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Is this common that they actually replace the batteries now rather than swap out the phone for a refurbished model?

Yes, if the phone is serviceable and repairable, they will replace something that's easy to fix rather than replacing the whole unit. Battery is definitely one of those that can be replaced for a brand new battery rather than swiping it out. Same goes for screen replacement as well.

Only time they would swap out a replacement unit is when the phone is not repairable (i.e water damage, the bending of the case, etc).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012

Yes, it is common practice to replace the battery. That also means that there is a risk the inner phone components will be damaged during the process. And that result ends in the customer receiving a refurbished phone.

As to the OP, it sounds like the person repairing the phone did not take proper care and or failed to use the proper tools during the process.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Just out of curiosity and to maybe make me feel a bit less crazy but when people have had their batteries replaced at an Apple Store is it normal to see markings on the phone from where they shoved something to lift the glass? I’m just wondering can they ever do this without damaging the paint work. This probably doesn’t apply to silver aluminium as much.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Just out of curiosity and to maybe make me feel a bit less crazy but when people have had their batteries replaced at an Apple Store is it normal to see markings on the phone from where they shoved something to lift the glass? I’m just wondering can they ever do this without damaging the paint work. This probably doesn’t apply to silver aluminium as much.
I've had batteries replaced by Apple on several occasions and have never noticed any visible damage to any of my phones after the work was done.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
If done correctly, there should be no marks after the repair is finished.

Reactions: ouimetnick and AJTC

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I don't think you should be because all it requires them to do is remove the 2 screws by the lightning port, then use some heat gun or heat pad to soften up the adhesive around the screen and use a suction cup to gently lift the screen and a plastic pick or a card should take care of the rest to pry it out. Not sure what they used but if your casing is damage with scratches and stuff, they'd likely used a metal tool maybe?

AJTC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
I don't think you should be because all it requires them to do is remove the 2 screws by the lightning port, then use some heat gun or heat pad to soften up the adhesive around the screen and use a suction cup to gently lift the screen and a plastic pick or a card should take care of the rest to pry it out. Not sure what they used but if your casing is damage with scratches and stuff, they'd likely used a metal tool maybe?
Yep because the paint is missing and it’s like rough jagged metal now. It’s only a thin line but I can see it reflect every time light hits it.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Was the repair done at an actual Apple repair depot, or was it sent to a Authorized Apple Repair Center?
It was an actual Apple Repair depot. Apple arranged collection by UPS with a box and an instruction manual. It went to Czech Republic and was sent back by DHL. I could watch the progress through the Apple Support website with a repair ID.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
It was an actual Apple Repair depot. Apple arranged collection by UPS with a box and an instruction manual. It went to Czech Republic and was sent back by DHL. I could watch the progress through the Apple Support website with a repair ID.
Apple will waste no time in tracking down the chain of events and who was involved. I predict very stern words and a possible reprimand happening. Hopefully, in 7 days or less, this will all be over, and you will have another phone in hand that is damage free.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
Yes, it is common practice to replace the battery. That also means that there is a risk the inner phone components will be damaged during the process. And that result ends in the customer receiving a refurbished phone.

As to the OP, it sounds like the person repairing the phone did not take proper care and or failed to use the proper tools during the process.
Thank you. That is good to know. The last phones I ever sent in, they were still just replacing the entire thing. It certainly did seem wasteful.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

No, that should not happen.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I had 2 iPhone 6S+ phones batteries replaced at a Apple Store. In both cases the phones were not damaged in any way. These things happen. I had a iMac repaired at a Apple Store and someone broke off a part on the inside of the iMac case. The store called me to inform me of this and apologized for causing the damage. They gave me 2 options to resolve it, they could order a new case or give me a full refund in Apple gift cards. I chose the gift cards. Apple gave me $2500 in gift cards that I used to buy another new iMac. That iMac that was in for repair, was 2 years out of warranty. Apple has always given me great customer service and support.

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
You need to have patience, they need to verify that the damage was done while in their possession. If confirmed, I suspect that you will receive a refurbished phone. Apple’s refurbished process is very strict, I bought a MBP and I couldn’t tell if it was new or refurbished except for the box it came in.

uciica

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2020
Same thing happened to me. I replaced my xs max battery and it took 1 hour in apple Düsseldorf. When it arrived, i just inspected the battery status, it’s 100% and I’m happy. After i arrived at home i just realized that my rear camera glass has a small crack. I have ocd and was babying my stuffs since beginning. I was pretty sure it wasn’t my fault so i emailed apple Düsseldorf, explaining the situation and one week later they told me to make a new appointment with the genius guy. They inspected my iphone and surprisingly i got a new xs max replacement (idk if it’s refurbished or not). The reason they gave me is because there is no notes on technician side, it’s considered technician’s fault.

Hope you have the same luck!

PhokLTD

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
Happened to me with a 6S battery replacement, Touch ID was damaged and extreme overheating started happening. Was such a battle to get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.