Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Same thing happened to me. I replaced my xs max battery and it took 1 hour in apple Düsseldorf. When it arrived, i just inspected the battery status, it’s 100% and I’m happy. After i arrived at home i just realized that my rear camera glass has a small crack. I have ocd and was babying my stuffs since beginning. I was pretty sure it wasn’t my fault so i emailed apple Düsseldorf, explaining the situation and one week later they told me to make a new appointment with the genius guy. They inspected my iphone and surprisingly i got a new xs max replacement (idk if it’s refurbished or not). The reason they gave me is because there is no notes on technician side, it’s considered technician’s fault.

Hope you have the same luck!
Exactly well said. Like any repair , existing issues/ damage must be noted on the report else the customer is right.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Always take pictures of your device before service. If done at the Apple Store, always inspect thoroughly before leaving and take pictures before leaving. Make sure the service order correctly list any external damage before signing the authorization. If the service is done by mail, record the box opening and device inspection.
Top advice ^^. Do the same with your vehicle when handing over the keys to the service advisor.

Last edited:
Reactions: ouimetnick

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I was told by an apple repair technician at an Apple Store that just opening any newer iPhone for anything (including battery replacement) is very risky even for them to do it and there's a chance the phone will get damaged. He said its equivalent to open heart surgery on a person.

• Haha
Reactions: AppleFeller

AppleFeller

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2020
I was told by an apple repair technician at an Apple Store that just opening any newer iPhone for anything (including battery replacement) is very risky even for them to do it and there's a chance the phone will get damaged. He said its equivalent to open heart surgery on a person.
I dont know what the goal was with that explanation, it is not "dangerous" or remotely akin to open heart surgery. We have tools and training to do it safe and properly to specifically avoid damaging a users device, in the rare event something happens while in a repair, we take care of the customer, whether repeating the repair or replacing the device need be.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Probably a rubbish technician
Using metal to pry open an iPhone or any other phone for that matter will leave marks most of the time.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
I can't figure out how the hell the back camera glass would get that condensation underneath since they open the phone from the front. The back glass is glued to the back frame.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
I can't figure out how the hell the back camera glass would get that condensation underneath since they open the phone from the front. The back glass is glued to the back frame.
That really confuses me too.

I took pictures before I sent it off and it’s not there.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Exactly well said. Like any repair , existing issues/ damage must be noted on the report else the customer is right.

Documenting things never is a bad idea either especially when sending things in or giving them to others for service.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
So I agreed to send it back to the repair centre and told them this when they called me back. Then I was transferred to another department where I was told I couldn’t send back the phone, he couldn’t see the damage in the pictures and he eventually blamed normal wear and tear. He said there was nothing he could do.

Then I said I had pictures I took before I sent it and he was in shock. He asked why I did this and I said I didn’t trust the repair centre not to damage my phone. So he asked for me to send them to him and he’ll call me back on Saturday.

This is dragging out now and whatever department/manager they transferred me to had a very bad attitude, was rude and so condescending. Really disappointed in how Apple have handled this.

Violet_Antelope

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
So I agreed to send it back to the repair centre and told them this when they called me back. Then I was transferred to another department where I was told I couldn’t send back the phone, he couldn’t see the damage in the pictures and he eventually blamed normal wear and tear. He said there was nothing he could do.

Then I said I had pictures I took before I sent it and he was in shock. He asked why I did this and I said I didn’t trust the repair centre not to damage my phone. So he asked for me to send them to him and he’ll call me back on Saturday.

This is dragging out now and whatever department/manager they transferred me to had a very bad attitude, was rude and so condescending. Really disappointed in how Apple have handled this.
That’s incredibly disappointing that they’ve treated you that way and I’m so glad you have photos! Thank you for reminding us of how important that is, and I really hope that whoever deals with it now will come through for you.

Reactions: AJTC

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately

I’m sorry you’re going through this. Feel for you.

Reactions: AJTC

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly

Good luck! I know that this is incredibly frustrating for you and I hope that when they get back to you, that they will do the right thing and replace your phone.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Thanks guys! I have some good news. Apple called me back today and said they agree the phone was damaged during repair and they apologised for not believing me. They said thanks for taking the before photos.

So I've to send the phone back to the repair centre in Czech Republic and they'll send out a replacement from there.

One thing that surprised me was that the guy was certain that replacing batteries was automated and that this wasn't done by an individual worker but I don't believe that.

Anyway at least they're willing to replace it. Definitely take pictures of your phones before sending them to Apple. What a life saver.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks guys! I have some good news. Apple called me back today and said they agree the phone was damaged during repair and they apologised for not believing me. They said thanks for taking the before photos.

So I've to send the phone back to the repair centre in Czech Republic and they'll send out a replacement from there.

One thing that surprised me was that the guy was certain that replacing batteries was automated and that this wasn't done by an individual worker but I don't believe that.

Anyway at least they're willing to replace it. Definitely take pictures of your phones before sending them to Apple. What a life saver.
This is great news. Good thing you took pictures before sending. I always advise people to do that. Now others can see the benefit.

And replacing batteries is not an automated process as that person believed.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Great to hear it’s improving! Absolutely agree, always document your issues with any hardware.

Reactions: beach bum and AJTC

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
Now that I have my 12 Pro Max I kinda want to send in my X for a battery. Fingers crossed mine will go smoothly, but so happy yours is being sorted out finally!

Enjoy your replacement phone! At least now the worries can be less, you know you will have the new one soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: beach bum and AJTC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.