Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
When will they realize that everything should be end to end encrypted with on device keys? Instead of blocking it. Didn’t they learn from Snowden? If the NSA is doing, someone else is trying to. And perhaps succeeding. It isn't a panacea for sure, but it definitely will help prevent a billion device iCloud compromis.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Letting people know is cute. Fixing whatever bugs allow it is the solution. I’d suggest they focus more on that than having iCloud photos report users to the authorities when one of their sure to be buggy algorithms detects a false positive.

Reactions: nt5672

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
It seems to me there are a number of candidates, but Israel is not likely to be one of them. According to Reuters, the targeted employees were based in Uganda, so whoever targeted the employees were likely interested in gaining information around US policy in that region. In addition, (per multiple press reports), past clients of NSO include Saudi Arabia, Mexico, and UAE. Saudi Arabia in particular allegedly leveraged NSO software a couple years ago to target Jamal Khashoggi, the journalist who was kidnapped at an embassy in Istanbul and dismembered.
Israel has a lot of spies within the US state department especially an issue with interns. It typically isn’t malicious just gathering data on how the US would involve itself if they were to come under attack by Iran etc. When it comes to the US though cyber isn’t really their style they prefer in person contacts that can last decades and are nearly impossible to find/stop.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
When will they realize that everything should be end to end encrypted with on device keys? Instead of blocking it. Didn’t they learn from Snowden? If the NSA is doing, someone else is trying to. And perhaps succeeding. It isn't a panacea for sure, but it definitely will help prevent a billion device iCloud compromis.
If you want maximum security, that's the way, but it comes at a cost to usability. Really you're best off disabling iCloud entirely if you think a nation might be after you.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
It seems to me there are a number of candidates, but Israel is not likely to be one of them. According to Reuters, the targeted employees were based in Uganda, so whoever targeted the employees were likely interested in gaining information around US policy in that region. In addition, (per multiple press reports), past clients of NSO include Saudi Arabia, Mexico, and UAE. Saudi Arabia in particular allegedly leveraged NSO software a couple years ago to target Jamal Khashoggi, the journalist who was kidnapped at an embassy in Istanbul and dismembered.
It might not be Israel by itself, but there's no way NSO Group sells their exploits to just anyone who pays. There has to be an agreement between the two governments unless NSO is living really dangerously.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I sure would like to know which state is sponsoring spying on American state dept officials. Anyone know?

I think you don't understand what the phrase "state-sponsored" means in this context.

There are only 3 states that could handle this: confusion, euphoria, and insanity.

According to Genesis, confusion is a land, not a state, so we can rule them out.

The State of Euphoria is an Anthrax album that Def Leppard also lays claim to, so call that infighting; we can rule them out.

So that leaves Insanity.. yeah, my money is on Insanity.

😜

BL.

Last edited:
There are only 3 states that could handle this: confusion, euphoria, and insanity.

According to Genesis, confusion is a land, not state, do we can rule them out.

The State of Euphoria is an Anthrax album that Def Leppard also lays claim to, so call that infighting; we can rule them out.

So that leaves Insanity.. yeah, my money is on Insanity.

😜

BL.
Anyone suspect Belinda Carlisle?
I Plead Insanity.jpg

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
What are the American interests there?
Do saving American lives count? 🤔
You know what's funny, Israel never even fought ISIS. US forces have fought them alongside Canadian, French, British, Iraqi, Australian, Peshmerga, PKK, YPG, FSA, Saudi, Turkish, and even Russian forces... but never Israeli.
Perhaps Israel has plenty to do defending itself from daily threats from Hamas, Hezbolah and others within it's territory without going abroad?

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
I sure would like to know which state is sponsoring spying on American state dept officials. Anyone know?
If you look at all the available information it appears to be Uganda.

In a public response, NSO has said its technology helps stop terrorism and that they've installed controls to curb spying against innocent targets.

For example, NSO says its intrusion system cannot work on phones with US numbers beginning with the country code +1.

But in the Uganda case, the targeted State Department employees were using iPhones registered with foreign telephone numbers, said two of the sources, without the US country code.

Uganda has been roiled this year by an election with reported irregularities, protests and a government crackdown. US officials have tried to meet with opposition leaders, drawing ire from the Ugandan government.

Last edited:

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Israel nearly owns the united states. They have the biggest lobby, AIPAC
Of course the Saudis don't count?

Bottom line:

If you're naíve enough to believe that the Saudi king's rhetoric signifies a genuine break with the United States over Iraq, or anything else, then you might also believe that the Israel lobby is more powerful than the Saudi lobby. And if you think that Israeli security means more to George Bush than Saudi oil, then you might even believe that Bush saw 9/11 coming.

Do you even care about CAIR?

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Do saving American lives count? 🤔

Perhaps Israel has plenty to do defending itself from daily threats from Hamas, Hezbolah and others within it's territory without going abroad?
Saving American lives doesn't count when they were put in harm's way defending Israel's interests in the first place. Like anti-Iran strikes that were met with attacks on American soldiers stationed in Iraq and Syria. And Israel does go abroad. They're heavily involved in anything pertaining to Iran, i.e. the first links you posted.

I've asked so many pro-Israel individuals why Israel matters to us and have only gotten two real answers, 1. the person is Jewish and understandably wants to support their homeland, 2. the person is part of a Protestant sect that interprets pieces of the Bible to mean something about keeping Jewish people in Israel.

Last edited:

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Of course the Saudis don't count?

Bottom line:

If you're naíve enough to believe that the Saudi king's rhetoric signifies a genuine break with the United States over Iraq, or anything else, then you might also believe that the Israel lobby is more powerful than the Saudi lobby. And if you think that Israeli security means more to George Bush than Saudi oil, then you might even believe that Bush saw 9/11 coming.

Do you even care about CAIR?

The Saudis count too. Really the most toxic "ally" we have. They're also aligned with Israel aside from some fake rhetorical support for Palestine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.